04's Attempt: OU vs. O-State Recap

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Source Link

It was providence that had me in Bella Vista, Arkansas, on Saturday. It was providence that their local cable provider picked up games one and two of the Big 12 tripleheader but failed to televise the abomination from Waco. If those two variables hadn't happened I would've been forced to watch what happened down there in Dr. Pepperville and I would've surely done what is so easy for fickle fans to do: give up.

But I didn't, so I won't, and that's why I made the trek to Norman tonight. What I witnessed was not vintage battles between the crimson and the cheez whiz. Instead we were all treated to a game uglier than the face of a bastard rat. We shot 38% from the field, 27% from deep, and compounded the grossness by making a balmy 52% of our foul shots, including a stellar 1-6 from the charity stripe in the second half.

And we won!

At one point tonight there were 94 points scored and 82 rebounds gathered. That's a whole lot of clanging and clunking for Lookeba-Sickles, let alone two D-1 programs with slews of NCAA Tournament wins over the last 25 years. It was hideous basketball. Open shots, bricked. Lay-ups, blown. Cattle, raped.

The only way a team like O-State gets to overtime after shooting less than 30% is to be on the sunny side of a hideous choke job. Make no mistake, our Sooners barfed all over themselves in the closing minutes. Whether it was going under a ball screen, which led to a wide-open trey from Penn, or turning on the Shaquille O'Neal Guide to Free Throw Shooting in the closing minutes, our Sooners gave the Cheez Whiz Brigade every chance in the world to escape God's country with a win tonight.

But they failed.....as they always do. That's what makes them them and us us. We're in complete disarray from top to bottom and they still couldn't beat us on a night when our play smelled like week-old ham in a musty shoebox.

Aggies. Gotta love 'em.

SCORING BREAKDOWN: - Will not be tabulated tonight due to CPU short circuit shortly after the 30-minute stretch where we scored, you guessed it, 30 points. Oh, the humanity!

SCORING LEADERS:
15 - Willie Warren
14 - TMG
13 - Keith Gallon

REBOUNDING LEADERS:
18 - Keith Gallon [damn!]
5 - Willie Warren
4 - four others

PLUSES:
1. Cade Davis: There's ALWAYS a place in every sport for hustle. Often times the difference between a win and a loss can be traced to the guy who wants it more. Whether it's chasing down a loose ball or taking a charge from a guy who's accumulated a full head of steam, Cade Davis stepped up tonight. Nine points and four rebounds doesn't look like much, but the three steals loom large. Anyone who watched this Exxon Valdez of a game knows we don't win it without the Pride of Elk City.

2. Keith Gallon: 18 rebounds. Damn. Too bad I'm still seething from the two lay-ups he missed at the start of the second half. You're 6'9''. DUNK THE DAMN THING!

3. Stephen Pledger: I'm grasping now but I thought he had three really big rebounds in the closing minutes. O-State was very physical down low, and for a freshman to come off the bench and get that ball was impressive.

4. Willie Warren: This is begrudging, but the effort was better. Still some needless showboating, especially with the game in doubt, but the effort was better. Some really stupid plays and, at times, totally careless with the basketball. His seven turnovers nearly cost us, but I'm not sure we win without the seven assists.

MINUSES:
1. Offensive Basketball: the two teams combined to miss 86 of the 127 shots attempted. That yak they've got tied up behind the GLC? He's absolutely puking his guts out.

2. Free throw shooting: So very lucky not to point to that stat and say it cost us the ballgame. 9 of 19 in regulation before we turned blistering hot and made 3 of 4 in overtime. Ryan Wright goes 3 of 4 while the rest of the team chips paint to a 9 of 19 clip. Ghastly.

3. BRING BACK THE GAMMA RAY!

I shall cease with the *****ing starting now. As I dined on my Freebird's burrito prior to tonight's game I told the Mrs. that I was heading to the LNC with an open mind. This team is wretched, I said, and I will not allow myself to get my hopes too high. That plan, as most have in my short life, was a complete disaster, and I write to you from down here in Ardmore COMPLETELY spent. No matter how wretched, no matter how ugly, no matter how much grass that yak behind the GLC barfs up tonight: we won.

This season may tank from here on out. Or, we may build from it. Whichever path it takes, remember this: we won. Let's enjoy it. Remember they're absolutely miserable up there in the land of orange ties and swerving Durangos. We may be trying to wipe the sight of this clankfest from the backs of our eyelids as we lay down to sleep, but up north the lost opportunity is seared into their retinas. As is so often the case, it once again sucks to be them.

Thank you for your time.

I'm glad you guys like them because this team is wearing me out.

I'm glad you guys like them because this team is wearing me out.

I think many can say the team has the same effect on all of us, right now. haha

But hey, we are young, and with that comes a "fun" roller coaster of emotions and such.

Back