1990 OU vs Duke

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12hD55f2yx8

I was checking out the ESPN bracketology from one of the other threads earlier and noticed they had us in the same bracket as Duke, and I started going over a potential sweet sixteen match up with them. Anyway long story short I started thinking about the home and home we had with them in the early 90's. So, I came across this game on youtube when they visited Norman in December of 1990. Its the whole CBS broadcast minuses the commercials, but it includes the halftime report. If you've got a spare hour and a half check it out. A really good game other than the outcome. I was only 10 at the time so I don't really have any memory of this game other than I knew we lost. I'm positive I watched it live on tv though.

A few things that stuck out to me, really I had forgotten some of them over time was:
1) How good of a shooter Terry Evans was.
2) How good Jeff Webster's all around game was.
3) The crowd was in to it from start to finish.
4) I remembered why I disliked Bobby Hurley so much, and how my dislike came back while I was watching.
5) OU's players never looked tired throughout the whole game. And Duke subbed more frequently than we did.
6) How much I disliked Billy Packer as a color guy. It was like he invented the game and everyone else was well below his knowledge of the game.

The halftime report was interesting because of a couple of talking points that are going on today. One being if student athletes should get paid. The second was the NCAA investigating Syracuse on possible rule violations.

Last edited:
I was at that game. I was 19 at the time and there with my big brother. I never felt like we were going to win the game. Duke kept us an arms length away the entire game. Late in the game the crowd started to realize we weren't going to win. At one of the late timeouts, the pep band director ran on the floor and got the crowd back in the game but we just couldn't get over the hump that day. If Patterson were eligible, Jones and McCovery and the others didn't transfer we win that day.

Watching Hurley break that OU press at times, is what I thought Woodard would be for us. A little pg with good handles who could just get the ball, and explode up the court before ever being trapped.

Duke won the national title tat year and really struggled with a below average OU team. That was The year Jackie Jones and Smokey McCovery left the team. Patterson was suspended for the first semester. That game was on Saturday following finals week. I don't recall if Patterson was allowed to play.

DenverSooner;480347 I don't recall if Patterson was allowed to play.[/QUOTE said:
No Patterson did not play in that game. They mentioned a couple of times in the video that OU was waiting to hearing if he would be eligible for the rest of that year. OU played really good without him though. Led pretty much all the first half. Had a 4 or 5 point lead at the half. Duke erased that lead pretty quick in the 2nd. About half way through the 2nd Duke built a 9 point lead and the closest OU got the rest of the way was 4.

I painted my face for this game...it was a great environment and the LNC was rocking. That was the Duke team that beat an unbeaten UNLV team in the championship game.

We were average that year. I never thought that the team would have struggled down the stretch the way they did...we assumed that we would continue to win, regardless of the fact that we lost Smokey, Patterson, and Jones all due to grades prior to the season starting.

Webster was something else. Redshirt freshman abusing Christian Laettner all day long. Nothing Laettner could do.

Turnaround fade-away off the right shoulder on the left box. Laettner couldn't block it, and Webster didn't miss it. Such a beautiful motion.

Really had some interesting moments with Duke over the years. Angelo Hamilton's 360 dunk late in what wound up being a comeback overtime game in Cameron after Vitale had already suggested we should "warm up the bus".

Taj Gray was man amongst boys in a dominating first half in another one. It was like Shaq was out there, and Duke ran a bunch of gimmick BS in the 2nd to hold him in check. It was a pretty weird scene though in that it seemed like Gray was playing with a bunch of middle school kids. He was completely unstoppable and Duke tried like 6 different guys on him before giving up in the 2nd half and just kept 3 guys around him at all times.

Last edited:
Really had some interesting moments with Duke over the years. Angelo Hamilton's 360 dunk late in what wound up being a comeback overtime game in Cameron after Vitale had already suggested we should "warm up the bus".

Taj Gray was man amongst boys in a dominating first half in another one. It was like Shaq was out there, and Duke ran a bunch of gimmick BS in the 2nd to hold him in check. It was a pretty weird scene though in that it seemed like Gray was playing with a bunch of middle school kids. He was completely unstoppable and Duke tried like 6 different guys on him before giving up in the 2nd half and just kept 3 guys around him at all times.

When I think of OU-Duke the first image that always pops into my head is Hamilton's 360. I was a student at that time and that dunk was just insane.

When I think of OU-Duke the first image that always pops into my head is Hamilton's 360. I was a student at that time and that dunk was just insane.

Is that game available online? I think it was the 92-93 season. I'd like to see that one again.

I painted my face for this game...it was a great environment and the LNC was rocking. That was the Duke team that beat an unbeaten UNLV team in the championship game.

We were average that year. I never thought that the team would have struggled down the stretch the way they did...we assumed that we would continue to win, regardless of the fact that we lost Smokey, Patterson, and Jones all due to grades prior to the season starting.

If we had had Smokey, Patterson, and Jones, it might have been us upsetting Vegas and cutting the nets down. I call 90-91 squad the lost team. Real shame we didn't get to see all those guys play together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Patterson did not play in that game. They mentioned a couple of times in the video that OU was waiting to hearing if he would be eligible for the rest of that year. OU played really good without him though. Led pretty much all the first half. Had a 4 or 5 point lead at the half. Duke erased that lead pretty quick in the 2nd. About half way through the 2nd Duke built a 9 point lead and the closest OU got the rest of the way was 4.

With McCovery, Jones and Patterson, OU beats Duke

Is that game available online? I think it was the 92-93 season. I'd like to see that one again.

I don't know, but I would love to see it again. At least the comeback and the dunk. I could skip overtime.

Back