A team full of Burger Boys

Reaction score
were curbstomped by Maryland today. And fell to 13-10 overall.

I don't buy the youth argument on them either. They start 2 seniors, a junior, and 2 sophs that both played quite a bit as freshman.

I think they've just "missed" on a few recruits. They don't have that go to guy, for starters. And several of the other frosh/sophs just haven't panned out. Much like Willis. They have too many guys like that. Bad chemistry. It happens. Teams like this really make me wonder how good a coach a guy like Williams would be if he hadn't spent much of his time at KU/UNC, where getting the best of the best is easy. What if he was at OU, or maybe even UT. Could he coach up a less talented roster? Interesting question that we'll never know the answer to.

I don't buy the youth argument on them either. They start 2 seniors, a junior, and 2 sophs that both played quite a bit as freshman.

I think they've just "missed" on a few recruits. They don't have that go to guy, for starters. And several of the other frosh/sophs just haven't panned out. Much like Willis. They have too many guys like that. Bad chemistry. It happens. Teams like this really make me wonder how good a coach a guy like Williams would be if he hadn't spent much of his time at KU/UNC, where getting the best of the best is easy. What if he was at OU, or maybe even UT. Could he coach up a less talented roster? Interesting question that we'll never know the answer to.

I think you are missing what they are really missing....a quality PG. Roy's whole system is reliant on a PG who can get out on transition and secondary breaks and make the proper decision. This year, they don't have one. Heck, their whole backcourt is mediocre. Front line is quality, although quite skinny and can get pushed around a bit.

FWIW, Ray Willis was the 108th best player (3-star) in the nation according to Rivals. Are you really comparing him to highly recruited guys at UNC who are playing poorly?

Their backcourt is awful...if they can get some guard play in there next year, they will be very tough.

I think you are missing what they are really missing....a quality PG. Roy's whole system is reliant on a PG who can get out on transition and secondary breaks and make the proper decision. This year, they don't have one. Heck, their whole backcourt is mediocre. Front line is quality, although quite skinny and can get pushed around a bit.

FWIW, Ray Willis was the 108th best player (3-star) in the nation according to Rivals. Are you really comparing him to highly recruited guys at UNC who are playing poorly?

That's what I was thinking, too. Willis may not play much in his second year, but to call him a miss is unfair, IMO. I guess it comes down to what you expect from a 3-star recruit. I still believe Ray can develop into a very solid bench scorer as soon as next season.

I watched a good part of that game today. Carolina is flat out awful on the defensive end (especially in transition)....they remind me of our "defensive outings" up in Alaska. Thank goodness we've improved since then. Maryland has a nice squad this year, but they are nothing special.....and for a good stretch of the 2nd half, they were scoring on every possession it seemed. I've always liked Roy Williams and I kinda feel bad for him this year. I've read several articles about North Carolina's issues this year because this is so unlike them. And like Capel, Roy has pulled out alot of stops/tricks to try and get through to this team.....and nothing seems to be working.

Yeah, the talent on that team is not what people expected. However, alot of those Burger Boys are only burger boys because of what school they decided to go to. We discussed how the Wears and Drew would not even be considered McD's candidates if it weren't for the high school they came from and the school they committed to. The other McD guys they have are talented, but projects when you talk about Henson, Zeller, and Davis. Look at their core players in Graves, Ginyard, and Thompson. They didn't get that same fanfare. Strickland will be good though.

Back