All-College needs Bedlam >>> The Oklahoman

I don't like it. We play them twice already, with a decent shot of facing them in the Big 12 Tourney as well. That is enough.

The two ideas that make the most sense to me are:

1) Actually find some quality teams to play. I can't believe that is a hard thing to do, given that the game is nationally televised, and that they will get a return game the following year at a neutral court. Good way to get a semi-home game and semi-road game against good/decent teams every year.

2) Do a round robin with the four local teams. OU/TU and OSU/ORU one day, and OU/ORU and OSU/TU the next.

I like Trammels suggestion. Having the men's and women's team play each other in December would result in a packed house. They could split the arena like they do the cotton bowl and have red on one side and orange on the other. That would generate a WHOLE lot more interest than what they are doing now.

Is there any reason a Bedlam game in the All-College couldn't be the first conference game for both teams? I know the conference schedule usually begins in January, but does it have to? It'd just be a couple of weeks early if they played a conference game during the All-College.

And the teams could alternate giving up their home games in lieu of the All-College matchup, so one year they'd play in OKC in December and in Norman later in the season, and the next year, they'd play in OKC and Stillwater.

Is there any reason a Bedlam game in the All-College couldn't be the first conference game for both teams? I know the conference schedule usually begins in January, but does it have to? It'd just be a couple of weeks early if they played a conference game during the All-College.

And the teams could alternate giving up their home games in lieu of the All-College matchup, so one year they'd play in OKC in December and in Norman later in the season, and the next year, they'd play in OKC and Stillwater.

I dont like the idea of giving up a home game.

2) Do a round robin with the four local teams. OU/TU and OSU/ORU one day, and OU/ORU and OSU/TU the next.

I like this idea, but my only problem with it is I think OU should play ORU and Tulsa every year regardless. But, considering that will never happen this would be a good option. Im not sure how good it would be for ticket sales though. You would have to have the game at the BOK Center in Tulsa every other year.

I dont like the idea of giving up a home game.

I don't, either, really, but I like it better than playing them three and sometimes four times in a season. And the aggies would be giving up a home game, too, every other year.

I have to admit that, for purely selfish reasons, I don't much care what happens to the All-College. It was always a holiday event, but is no more, and after attending it every year for perhaps 25 years in a row, I can't attend it any longer, due to the change in date.

Personally, I hated playing teams in the non-conference that I knew we were going to play again during the conference slate. Sure it helps your RPI, but that's it. Leave it home-and-home for the conference season. Would it be great for the fans and state? Sure....but so would at least ONE marquee game a year.

I find it hard to believe OU or OSU can't get one high profile team to come to OKC. I know OU's hands were tied because of the VCU buyout, but OSU really dropped the ball on this one. If OU does the same next year, I'll definitely call out Capel/Castiglione.

All I know is I was there for the OSU/UT and OU/WVU game a few years ago and it was awesome. No reason it can't be like that again. If we were going to lose, I'm damn sure glad we got Pittsnogled.

Last edited:
Personally, I hated playing teams in the non-conference that I knew we were going to play again during the conference slate. Sure it helps your RPI, but that's it. Leave it home-and-home for the conference season. Would it be great for the fans and state? Sure....but so would at least ONE marquee game a year.

I find it hard to believe OU or OSU can't get one high profile team to come to OKC. I know OU's hands were tied because of the VCU buyout, but OSU really dropped the ball on this one. If OU does the same next year, I'll definitely call out Capel/Castiglione.

Exactly. Those calling out OU this year are misguided. I am betting that the Sooners have a good team coming in next year for the premier nightcap game. If we don't then I too will be calling out those in charge of scheduling. If you want to bellyache, then bellyache at the ags. UTEP is fine for a first game.

I see zero benefit to OU or OSU doing this. They both risk a loss and one of them obviously will lose. The idea of giving up a home game just makes it that much tougher to win the conference every other year. I see no reason for either OSU or OU to even care about the All-college. The All-college once had a great tournament and screwed it up. If it dies, it dies. OU and OSU should not have to take excessive risk to keep that tournament alive.

You see sky we don't disagree on everything. I think your idea is the way to go. This also helps speed up the transition of our fans from football to basketball. It would be the annual game that gets fans excited about basketball season. Say the Sooners are going to play in the NC in football. Well this game sort of says to the fans that don't really go to the basketball fans that you can support both sports. Then like you said the second game of the season is alternated between Norman and stillwater each year. I love this idea. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

I think an OU/OSU match-up would be fun if they did it one year, but certainly not every year for the reason listed by other posters (such as there is no reason for you to have a chance to play a team 5 times in a season). I think the All-College tournament will do fine if they work on getting solid mid-major match-ups. The zags, VCU, Utep, etc... The All-College match-ups would look better is OSU wasn't playing cupcakes every year even in the evening game.

Heres an idea, schedule decent teams. No need for bedlam part 3.

I think the All-College tournament will do fine if they work on getting solid mid-major match-ups. The zags, VCU, Utep, etc... The All-College match-ups would look better is OSU wasn't playing cupcakes every year even in the evening game.

UTEP is a solid mid-major matchup?

Recently OSU has played, Tennessee, Gonzaga and Pitt in the All-College. Hardly cupcakes.

There's no reason to put Bedlam in the All-College, IMO.

Recently OSU has played, Tennessee, Gonzaga and Pitt in the All-College. Hardly cupcakes.

You have the premier game and you're playing LaSalle.

Quit comparing osu's prime time games, with OU's non-prime time.

OU has also played Gonzaga, as well as WV.

Back