AP: Bunch of losers in Columbia are begging the SEC after Big10 rejection

thebigabd

Reaction score
(10-05) 12:14 PDT ST. LOUIS (AP) --

A University of Missouri official says the school hopes to join the Southeastern Conference but would have preferred an offer from the Big Ten that never came.

The person, who is familiar with the discussions involving conference affiliation, spoke Wednesday on condition of anonymity because the school has not commented publicly about its intentions.

Missouri hoped to join the Big Ten last year but the league instead chose Nebraska. The university official said the Big Ten remains Missouri's top choice but that conference "has no interest."

"That's what's left," the official said, referring to the SEC.

Missouri's seven voting curators agreed unanimously Tuesday night to give Chancellor Brady Deaton authority to look elsewhere rather than immediately commit to the troubled Big 12 Conference. Just one day earlier, Big 12 leaders — including Deaton — agreed to equally share the wealth from the conference's most lucrative television deals if its members agree to lock those top-tier TV rights into the league for at least six years.

The agreement is subject to approval by university governing boards — a step Missouri curators don't want to take until the school is able to "fully explore options for conference affiliation ... which best serve the interests of the University of Missouri," board chairman Warren Erdman told The Associated Press.

The Big 12 is down to 10 members and will lose Texas A&M to the SEC next year after the departures of Colorado to the Pac-12 and Nebraska to the Big Ten.

SEC athletic directors and Commissioner Mike Slive met Wednesday in Birmingham, Ala., to discuss the logistics of Texas A&M's arrival. A conference spokesman said the meeting was called several weeks ago.

Slive has not ruled out further expansion, and Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart has said the SEC will eventually add members.

Besides being a fresh blow to the Big 12, a Missouri departure would threaten its long-standing rivalry with neighboring Kansas, one of the oldest in college sports. Kansas basketball coach Bill Self told the Lawrence Journal-World that the border showdowns may not continue if Missouri bolts.

"I have no ill will toward Missouri at all, but to do something at a time that could be so damaging and hurtful to a group, I can't see us just taking it and forgetting," he told the newspaper.

Kansas athletics director Shannon Zenger was less forceful, appealing instead to the Tigers' sense of loyalty to the league.

"We believe the Midwest deserves a strong conference for student-athletes, fans and alumni, and it is our desire that Missouri will stay committed - as Kansas is - to the Big 12 Conference," he said.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/10/05/sports/s121450D39.DTL#ixzz1ZwY46RIO

Haha, well, that's one way to put it I guess.

Alan Scher Zaiger is an AP writer whose office is on the Mizzou campus. He writes about the University of Missouri frequently (academic and athletic stories) and has never taken anything but a negative tone.

I can guarantee you the unnamed source in this story is a bitter academic with zero influence on the decision longing for the Big 10. This is not the sentiment of anyone involved in athletics (most preferred the Big 12 last year and the SEC now over the Big 10). This person has no authority to speak to Mizzou's "top choice."

I can guarantee you the unnamed source in this story is a bitter academic with zero influence on the decision longing for the Big 10.

OR, the unnamed source could be someone in the Big 12 establishment that is trying to sour the SEC against extending an official invite to Missouri.

Alan Scher Zaiger is an AP writer whose office is on the Mizzou campus. He writes about the University of Missouri frequently (academic and athletic stories) and has never taken anything but a negative tone.

I can guarantee you the unnamed source in this story is a bitter academic with zero influence on the decision longing for the Big 10. This is not the sentiment of anyone involved in athletics (most preferred the Big 12 last year and the SEC now over the Big 10). This person has no authority to speak to Mizzou's "top choice."

Is he one of those great School of Journalism garduates?

Larry Cochell disagrees.

That is totally a relevant comparison.

Cochell:
There are honkies and white people and there are n——— and black people. Dunigan is a good black kid ... There’s no n——- in him.

That is totally a relevant comparison.

Cochell:
There are honkies and white people and there are n——— and black people. Dunigan is a good black kid ... There’s no n——- in him.

I certainly don't condone what he said, but it's an opinion.

Except that anything defined as hate speech is not protected and has nothing to do with whether it is an accepted collequialism in whatever context. I doubt our professor friend made any friends in Mizzou athletic department but I also doubt there will be any backlash for saying what most *professors* probably think.

Back