At least Capel is not crying

OU basketball is having its worst season in 30 years and has shown little improvement this season. I don't see how OU makes the tourney next season with the current players and players already signed. OU needs a couple post players and a point to back up TMG. The only good thing from this season has been TMG.

IMO Capel's first team that went 16-15 was the worst team OU had in a couple decades. Now with that being said this years team reminds me of them at times. But if they were to play each other I'd go with the 2009-2010 Sooners in a rout.

Not really an apples-to-apples comparison there.

It isn't....if UNC doesn't make the NCAA tourney this year's UNC is arguably the most underachieving team in NCAA history (at least according to recruiting rankings and McDonald All-Americans).

That statement right there is the main point that splits the fan base on this site. IMO, and this is just my opinion, Capel hasn't done anything while at OU to make me just "feel" like things are going to be okay. And by okay, I mean we'll start a long streak of not missing the NCAA next year. I think some of the fans either see something that gives then that faith in Capel, or blindly follow him b/c he is OU's head coach. And some of the fans need Capel to prove himself before we'll write off a season like this as a one-time deal.

Neither side is right, or wrong. Just a difference.

Agreed. We will know by this time next year.

That statement right there is the main point that splits the fan base on this site. IMO, and this is just my opinion, Capel hasn't done anything while at OU to make me just "feel" like things are going to be okay. And by okay, I mean we'll start a long streak of not missing the NCAA next year. I think some of the fans either see something that gives then that faith in Capel, or blindly follow him b/c he is OU's head coach. And some of the fans need Capel to prove himself before we'll write off a season like this as a one-time deal.

May God have mercy on my soul....I agree with SoonerfanTU! :ez-laugh:

A lot of truth to this statement....next year is incredibly telling IMO. If OU has a repeat of this season, there are some major issues. And I will be incredibly disappointed.

It isn't....if UNC doesn't make the NCAA tourney this year's UNC is arguably the most underachieving team in NCAA history (at least according to recruiting rankings and McDonald All-Americans).

That's not the point.

The point was whether or not Capel and/or Roy deserves some "slack" for having talented, but inexperienced teams not play well.

The reason it's not apples-to-apples is that Roy has proven, without a shadow of a doubt, that he can consistently win in a big-time way with many different groups of players; this season is very much the exception to the rule for him.

We don't know that about Capel. This season could just be a "bump on the road" or it could be a harbinger of things to come... we just don't know yet.

That's not the point.

The point was whether or not Capel and/or Roy deserves some "slack" for having talented, but inexperienced teams not play well.

The reason it's not apples-to-apples is that Roy has proven, without a shadow of a doubt, that he can consistently win in a big-time way with many different groups of players; this season is very much the exception to the rule for him.

We don't know that about Capel. This season could just be a "bump on the road" or it could be a harbinger of things to come... we just don't know yet.

Well, that was exactly my point all along and the reason I mentioned the seven burger boys in my original post.

Not saying that Roy deserves grief for this season (although plenty of UNC fans are very mad) because he does have an excellent track record, but this season has been a total disaster for UNC so far. And like I posted above, if they don't make the tourney, this year's UNC team is arguably the most underachieving team in NCAA hitsory. UCLA is also having an awful year after such a great run. No program is immune to a season like this.

And you are right, we don't know what the future holds....next year is quite telling for OU IMO.

Back