Avoidable recruiting mistakes continue to plague OU basketball

thebigabd

Reaction score
OU has a talent and athletic ability problem again... and it was easily avoidable. They did the same dumb stuff they always do. They go way out of their way for guys who aren't that good and ignore guys in their own backyard.

I mentioned two guys consistently last year.... Daniss Jenkins and De'Sean Nelson.

Jenkins is a 6'3'' 180 point guard who was at Odessa JC... 6 hour drive from Norman, in West Texas. Rick Pitino picked him up and he is averaging 16 points, 5 assists, and 5 rebounds per game on nearly 40% shooting from 3pt line. Me and Rick Pitino saw something that Moser didn't, and instead, Moser saw something in Joe Bamisile who averages 3 points a game. Or maybe he saw it in Bijan Cortez who clearly isn't a Big 12 caliber player.

De'Sean Nelson is a 6'8'' 205 combo forward out of Kilgore JC in Texas. 4 hour drive from Norman in the Dallas area... He is averaging 10 points, 5.5 rebounds, and 2 assists per game for Depaul this year. His last 3 games against Providence, Butler, and Villanova have been 17 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists.... 14 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist.... and 24 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists.

Instead of offering De'Sean Nelson from down the road.... Porter Moser went 5,207 miles to Munich, Germany to get Benny Schroder on the team, who can't play. Instead of a super athletic guy who can play RIGHT NOW, who was right down the street, you have a guy who can't play... Taking a risk on players is great, WHEN (and only when) you have an 8 deep that is built and designed to meet your program objectives right now. That isn't the case at OU.

To make my point.... if you put Daniss Jenkins and De'Sean Nelson on this roster.... and remove Benny Schroeder and Joe Bamisile or Yaya Keita... OU is 12-4 or 13-3 with wins over KU, Texas, and ISU.

PG: Daniss Jenkins/Bijan Cortez
SG: Grant Sherfield/Milos Uzan
SF: Jacob Groves/CJ Noland
SF: De'Sean Nelson/Jalen Hill
C: Tanner Groves/Sam Godwin

1. Cortes clearly is a big 12 caliber player..
2. Agree somewhat on Benny.. Fr take time to develop.. maybe he is a bust, maybe the dude plays for us next year.. Oweh same thing.. think he will get legit mins though next year.

We flat out missed on Bamisille. I'm certain we missed on Yaya. Replace both of them with one guy that can play we would be in better position for sure.

I like Godwin a lot, but he's flat out a back up 5 in the big 12.. he can be real good at that too.. but hopefully we land a transfer starting center for next season or we are in big trouble.

Love our guards for next season.. Cortes, Uzan, Noland, Cooper, Oweh. Who plays the 4 and 5 is key. Groves will get mins and hopefully Jalen Hill comes back.

I like Godwin a lot, but he's flat out a back up 5 in the big 12.. he can be real good at that too.. but hopefully we land a transfer starting center for next season or we are in big trouble.

i don't think he is a backup 5 in the big 12. He is a starter. He just needs more playing time, which is hard with his fouling. But he just put up 12 and 7 in 15 minutes against kansas

Big, I love ya man, but i'm not reading this. Your posts are the same every time.
You use hindsight and skewed stats to make your points.

I'll just use Jenkins as an example. His numbers this year are very similar to Joe Bam's last year.

You can't use stats from small colleges against inferior competition and transfer that to big 12 completion and take it at face vale

i don't think he is a backup 5 in the big 12. He is a starter. He just needs more playing time, which is hard with his fouling. But he just put up 12 and 7 in 15 minutes against kansas

he doesn't play d well enough to be a starter

Here is where I disagree with you Big:

First, YaYa and Bennie both missed the entire offseason and we haven't seen them in any real action yet and can't know whether they can play. I think, but don't know, that they will be productive. You think, but can't know, whether they will be a bust.

Second, I see the talent with J-Bam, but his style is just not meshing with Porter's schemes. Again, it is just not determinable to this point, whether he will be productive at some point.

Third, generally, I can't see how anyone can complain about the freshman he has recruited to this point. Freshman take time to develop and you shouldn't expect much out of them for awhile. Los and Oweh have played enough to be encouraged that they will be good players. Don't know about the other two yet. The two kids signed in November are both more highly rated than we normally sign, so we will see.

Clearly, Porter is taking the long approach with signing freshman he hopes to keep and develop as opposed to going all in on portal transfers. We will have to wait awhile to see if that works, and I don't agree that it is time to decide that issue.

And finally, this team is 4 possessions/shots (going our way) from being 15 and 1 and rated in the top 5. I just don't think we are that far off from having the kind of team we all want. Obviously I could be wrong about that we will see this year and next. All in all, I am optimistic about the program's direction for now.

ABD has been silent all season but crops up now after three exceedingly close losses, all to ranked teams, to carp on juco recruiting. As reliable as death and texas, he is.

Big, I love ya man, but i'm not reading this. Your posts are the same every time.
You use hindsight and skewed stats to make your points.

I'll just use Jenkins as an example. His numbers this year are very similar to Joe Bam's last year.

You can't use stats from small colleges against inferior competition and transfer that to big 12 completion and take it at face vale

With all due respect, no... Tons of guys are making the move from smaller schools to bigger ones. It's up to the staff to scout to make sure the dude can freakin play. Sherfield came from Nevada, he's doing just fine... Tanner Groves came from Eastern Washington, he's doing fine...

Marquis Nowell went to KSU from a small school and is one of the best players in the country... Averaging 17 points and 9 assists a game.

John Michael Wright transferred to Oklahoma State from High Point (a very small school) and is averaging 16 ppg... 2 ppg off what he averaged at High Point.

ABD has been silent all season but crops up now after three exceedingly close losses, all to ranked teams, to carp on juco recruiting. As reliable as death and texas, he is.

I arrive only when I am needed.

First, YaYa and Bennie both missed the entire offseason and we haven't seen them in any real action yet and can't know whether they can play. I think, but don't know, that they will be productive. You think, but can't know, whether they will be a bust.

Yaya averaged 8 points a game in high school.... He has bust written all over him. He's just like the 7'2'' guy we just had, forget his name. On top of all that, Yaya has blown his leg out like 3 times now.

And..... De'Sean Nelson. NO FREAKIN EXCUSE FOR THAT. Benny Schroeder, who can't play, who lives 5,000 miles away... in place of a guy who could clearly play, who is in Dallas... One got an offer, one didn't. Its pure negligence. Same position. Same recruiting season. Filling the same need on the roster.

Last edited:

lol true

With all due respect, no... Tons of guys are making the move from smaller schools to bigger ones. It's up to the staff to scout to make sure the dude can freakin play. Sherfield came from Nevada, he's doing just fine... Tanner Groves came from Eastern Washington, he's doing fine...

Marquis Nowell went to KSU from a small school and is one of the best players in the country... Averaging 17 points and 9 assists a game.

John Michael Wright transferred to Oklahoma State from High Point (a very small school) and is averaging 16 ppg... 2 ppg off what he averaged at High Point.

I know your point. but you are missing my point.

You can't list all of these guys that are STILL at small schools and say that we should have offered them as well.

It's really hard to know anything about Benny, Yaya or really Bamisile because they really haven't played enough to make a fair assessment on. I mean, why play younger Groves as much when he's cold and not at least give someone else a shot? These guys will probably leave after sitting all year on the bench so we probably won't ever know. It sucks, but PM does seem to have his favorites, IMO.

Bamasile put up points at GW like Jenkins is doing at Iona. Why, adb, did you not warn us that Bamasile was a bad take? Because, of course, you had no idea one way or the other. Just as you cannot possibly guarantee Jenkins would have done well at OU--he's excelling in a league that is nowhere near the level of the Big 12, just as Bamasile was doing last season.

It's really hard to know anything about Benny, Yaya or really Bamisile because they really haven't played enough to make a fair assessment on. I mean, why play younger Groves as much when he's cold and not at least give someone else a shot? These guys will probably leave after sitting all year on the bench so we probably won't ever know. It sucks, but PM does seem to have his favorites, IMO.

Well we don't see what goes on in practice. Benny and Bamisile may be lost in practice too. With that being said, I do feel as though Bamisile has got his chances.

Marv Johnson got a chance last year from Moser, so I firmly believe if the dudes will get a fair shake if they show something in practice.

I can't really comment on Shroder. His film looked really good. He seemed super excited to play for OU.

Bamasile put up points at GW like Jenkins is doing at Iona. Why, adb, did you not warn us that Bamasile was a bad take? Because, of course, you had no idea one way or the other. Just as you cannot possibly guarantee Jenkins would have done well at OU--he's excelling in a league that is nowhere near the level of the Big 12, just as Bamasile was doing last season.

exactly

It comes down to trusting the guy you're paying millions of dollars to coach your team. He sees Bamasile, Yaya and Bennie on a daily basis--why in the world would he prefer losses to playing them if they were really able to help the team right now?

I suppose you never know unless you give them a chance, they lost regardless. So what are we, 8 deep? Surely Moser can do better than that. Hopefully next year, I guess.

I hope Benny and Oweh stay at least for a second season. Bamisile has transferred twice so he probably doesn't have any other choice, right?

If you want to look for some silver lining in last nights meltdown, look at CJ Noland, the prodigal son has returned from the wilderness it seems, he played more and looked really good doing it I thought. We need to learn how to defend without fouling, although that may not be possible as the visitors at the Frog. We do foul a lot though, and please Tanner stop throwing your arms up in the air after every foul, you aren't going to get any benefit of the doubt from the refs if you keep doing that.

If you want to look for some silver lining in last nights meltdown, look at CJ Noland, the prodigal son has returned from the wilderness it seems, he played more and looked really good doing it I thought. We need to learn how to defend without fouling, although that may not be possible as the visitors at the Frog. We do foul a lot though, and please Tanner stop throwing your arms up in the air after every foul, you aren't going to get any benefit of the doubt from the refs if you keep doing that.

I'm out on noland. Dude shoots 50% from FT even.. i would like that scholly freed up IMO

What about your other dudes:

Josh baker
Matt mayers
Chris payton
Khalid thomas
Mo diarra

If we play this game going forward, you should pick 1-3 dudes only and well revisit it every year.

Also you cant just FORCE a recruitment like a video game. Maybe neither jenkins and nelson wanted to come to ou.

I'm not against taking a juco guy here and there but juco isnt what it was. You want more Nick thompsons?

I’m sure a guy avenging 10 points on an awful DePaul team would be a massive help in the best conference in the country. We would be FF bound.

Back