Big 12 Tournament Seeding

TheMont

Reaction score
West Virginia is guaranteed to be the 9th seed. osu is not playing in the tournament, so there is no 10th seed.

Iowa State is tied with osu for 6th place currently with 7-10 conference records (after ISU lost to osu 53-36 AT HOME WTFFFF).

OU and K-State are tied for 8th place with 6-11 conference records. It is my understanding (which Toby reiterated last night) that the game in Manhattan will decide who plays WVU on Wednesday night in Kansas City. The loser is the 8th seed and the winner is the 7th seed.

However, if OU wins in Manhattan (big if, I know) and ISU loses at Baylor on Saturday (probable!), is ISU locked into the 6th seed? Is our highest possible seed at this point the 7th seed, even though we split with ISU this year?

West Virginia is guaranteed to be the 9th seed. osu is not playing in the tournament, so there is no 10th seed.

Iowa State is tied with osu for 6th place currently with 7-10 conference records (after ISU lost to osu 53-36 AT HOME WTFFFF).

OU and K-State are tied for 8th place with 6-11 conference records. It is my understanding (which Toby reiterated last night) that the game in Manhattan will decide who plays WVU on Wednesday night in Kansas City. The loser is the 8th seed and the winner is the 7th seed.

However, if OU wins in Manhattan (big if, I know) and ISU loses at Baylor on Saturday (probable!), is ISU locked into the 6th seed? Is our highest possible seed at this point the 7th seed, even though we split with ISU this year?

Yes, last week was looking good for us to get to 5th but tcu and their hot surge changed things. ISU has tie breaker

Our game with KSU determines the 7/8 seeds. If the winner of that game is hoping to avoid Baylor, it’s still possible. If Tech wins in Stilly and Baylor loses to ISU OR KU loses one to either TCU or UT, then Tech would be the 2 seed.

Yes, last week was looking good for us to get to 5th but tcu and their hot surge changed things. ISU has tie breaker

Isu has the tiebreaker over OU via a win vs texas

tcu would also have had the tiebreaker over OU

Man, the thing that really sucks is that Baylor is probably the worst matchup for us in the conference, and that is who we are projected to play. I'd rather play any other team, KU included, if we're looking for a win.

If we need more than a win @KSU and a close loss to Baylor, we might be better off losing to KSU, then having a chance to beat WVU, KU, and UT in the Big 12. I'm not saying that is even remotely likely, but it's probably as likely or moreso than us beating KSU on the road then Baylor.

If we need more than a win @KSU and a close loss to Baylor, we might be better off losing to KSU, then having a chance to beat WVU, KU, and UT in the Big 12. I'm not saying that is even remotely likely, but it's probably as likely or moreso than us beating KSU on the road then Baylor.

You saying more likely to win the big 12 tournament than @ksu and Baylor in the quarterfinals? If we lose Saturday we'd have to win the big 12 tourney.

Isu has the tiebreaker over OU via a win vs texas

tcu would also have had the tiebreaker over OU

Gotcha! I didn’t realize the OU/ISU tiebreaker was determined by texas.

Gah, it would have been nice if we pulled out that OT game in Norman.

Thanks, all!

Gotcha! I didn’t realize the OU/ISU tiebreaker was determined by texas.

Gah, it would have been nice if we pulled out that OT game in Norman.

Thanks, all!

Or hadn't lost to TCU twice.

Man, the thing that really sucks is that Baylor is probably the worst matchup for us in the conference, and that is who we are projected to play. I'd rather play any other team, KU included, if we're looking for a win.

Totally agree. Give me ku or tech over baylor rn. Still gotta just take care of business in manhatten.

Is there any scenario where we beat ksu and don’t play baylor?

yes KU loses to texas and baylor wins tomorrow .

or baylor loses to ISU and tech wins tomorrow ..

so if KU wins hope baylor loses and if ku loses hope baylor wins ..

(with Tech and OU winning)

Last edited:

Sure. If KU loses tomorrow and Baylor wins. Or if Baylor loses and Tech wins. But if Baylor and KU both win tomorrow, Baylor is the 2-seed.

Sorry if this was posted in another thread

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/Big12Conference/status/1500291333004701697[/TWEET]

Back