Bob Barry Sr.

I have reopened this thread backup. Read my EDIT above as to why I closed the thread and something we can do to make these BBS threads more productive.

The guy is 79 years old, just underwent hip surgery last June, and is still recovering. Most guys that age wouldn't even consider walking out to get the paper after that but he is travelling with the team and doing the play by play and is a Sooner!

I have a soft spot in my heart for the elderly since I work with them everyday in my job and have rehabbed many hip replacements in the elderly myself. I've also lost both my Grandpa's. I think they, the elderly, deserve some respect. You know the saying, "Respect your Elders". I am Native American and respecting our elders is a big thing in our culture.

I think there's enough beating of a dead horse. There's a thread here or on OF board weekly sometimes every other day. He's nowhere near as bad as OU fans thing but he's not near as good as he once was either. But I can't stand listening to Musburger or Dickie V do games I turn the volume down. That's really all most people have to do. Most announcers are pretty useless anyway.

Listening to a BBS pbp can be confusing, but to me, it's more an idiosyncrasy than a drawback.

Well when it does come time for BBS to move on, I hope they don't hand the gig to Bob Carpenter. Don't get me wrong, Carpenter is a nice guy, and I like Mazzio's as much as the next guy, but he just comes across as amateurish to me. The Sooner Sports Network TV broadcasts get pretty brutal at times with he and Spoon. I think we should do what Joe C. always does and that is go get a young up and coming hotshot somewhere.

Bruce Howard at TU is the best basketball PBP guy in the business...

I would rather see Michael Dean move into that position. He's been grooming for the job for years, is very knowledgeable on OU history and he's got a great radio voice. I know the guy fairly well and he is one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. He has put in decades of work backing up BBS and should be rewarded with the gig if he wants it.

Bob Carpenter is Joe C's guy. He is going to take over when Barry steps down. Carpenter wants that to be 2 more years though before he takes over.

Bob is much better at football than basketball. That being said, I wouldn't call him amateurish. His best sport is baseball as he still does this often.

I'm not trying to bash BBS it's just that I hadn't listened to him call a game in forever and I honestly couldn't keep up. Living in the Big 10 area for years, I heard a lot of really good BB pbp guys and was just amazed by the difference in quality.

Carpenter has a sing-song quality to his voice that sounds like a 10-year-old doing a game.

I freelance at MLB.com and when I have to handle a Nationals game, I cringe, knowing I'm going to have to listen to Carpenter for three-plus hours.

Also, he's a huge homer when doing Nats broadcasts -- thankfully, he tones that down a bit when calling Sooner hoops.

I have reopened this thread backup. Read my EDIT above as to why I closed the thread and something we can do to make these BBS threads more productive.

The guy is 79 years old, just underwent hip surgery last June, and is still recovering. Most guys that age wouldn't even consider walking out to get the paper after that but he is travelling with the team and doing the play by play and is a Sooner!

I have a soft spot in my heart for the elderly since I work with them everyday in my job and have rehabbed many hip replacements in the elderly myself. I've also lost both my Grandpa's. I think they, the elderly, deserve some respect. You know the saying, "Respect your Elders". I am Native American and respecting our elders is a big thing in our culture.

Most of us have a soft spot for BOb Barry because most of us grew up watching him. He's the model of integrity, especially when you see what we have now in guys like Mark Rogers and Blevins, guys who love their voice more than their jobs. That being said, it's hard to see him not being at the top of his profession and actually doing a poor job. I don't want that to be his legacy.

Also, he's a huge homer when doing Nats broadcasts -- thankfully, he tones that down a bit when calling Sooner hoops.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doCHJTH2y74[/ame]

Are you suggesting that hitting a game winning 4 point play should be broadcasted in a calmer voice?

I think its pretty obvious who he was rooting for, lol.

ABD you said earlier that Tulsas pbp guy is "the best in the business". I don't think you have much room to call anyone a homer lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ra9ni9_C7A[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2if2iO3tUcE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Ni0ZzkyVE[/ame]

homers.

That Kobe shot was just straight ridiculous. Off-balance and everything.

I think thebigabd would be ecstatic to have this guy as our next pbp man...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmxpftPFXZg[/ame]

Most of us have a soft spot for BOb Barry because most of us grew up watching him. He's the model of integrity, especially when you see what we have now in guys like Mark Rogers and Blevins, guys who love their voice more than their jobs. That being said, it's hard to see him not being at the top of his profession and actually doing a poor job. I don't want that to be his legacy.

I completely agree DM which is why I took some of the posts as bashing. Its over and I like the discussion we are having here! Good job guys!

Back