Buzz Williams Would Be Insane To Take Oklahoma Job

Reading that "article" only makes me think that Buzz is already headed to OU and the deal was/is in place before Capel was let go. Some have already been mentioned, but a few points:

1. A guy builds a program in the Big East using talent that he has to get from 1,000 miles away, Texas. What is easier, convincing a kid from Texas to go to OU or Marquette.

2. From an athletic department standpoint, overall OU is probably in the Top 5 in the nation, Marquette is probably not even Top 10 in the Big East.

3. For most of this guys life, OU has been a successful basketball program . . . sort of goes in line with #1 and #2 above, but overall in the B12, OU is probably 2nd or 3rd strongest program over the last 30 years.

4. OU apparently showed ZERO interest in BCG, there has to be a reason for that. See #2 and #3, had we offered, BCG was ours to have at the same price as TT.

5. For such "scary" potential NCAA sanctions, why haven't we heard ANYTHING for over a year? Nothing. OU has a history under the current administration of biting the bullet and getting things over with.

There are two reasons for Buzz not to take the OU job:

1. We fired a guy two years after making the Elite Eight and three years after making the NCAA Tournament. I'm not going to get into a pissing match over whether that was the right or wrong decision, but if I was a "hot young coach" contemplating a career move, that standard would make me nervous. However, if I was a "hot young coach" that was familiar with OU, I might see it as a challenge.

2. We are not willing to pay him the money that he thinks he could command. I do not see that happening this time. Castiglione went the cheap route once and ended up firing "his" guy AFTER inking him to a big deal. Not going to say that money is no object, but I do not think we are going to go "cheap" either. This is a safe play for Joe, and our athletic department can out spend pretty much any other one out there if we "want" to, particularly Marquette, who could never match our resources.

Anyway, I'll probably jinx it, but there is just too much smoke here. Joe Castiglione HAS to make a splash with this next hire and EVERYONE is saying that this is the perfect fit. With the right guy, OU can be at the top of the conference heap every year, Buzz knows that, Marquette fans should realize that as well. We are a "football school" but the reality is with all the potential conference re-alignment on the horizon, that only makes OU look more attractive. Think Self wasn't sweating where KU might end up?

Mr. B., I hope like heck you are dead on the money.....

Back