Catching up with Terrence Jones >>> Highschoolhoop.com

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Source Link

---------------------

Jefferson (Portland, Ore.) forward Terrence Jones isn’t just holding out on picking a college because he doesn’t know where he wants to go. That’s only part of it. The other reason is because he wants his teammates to get the exposure they’ll need to land scholarships.

“It’s only right,” said Jones, ranked No. 31 in the HSH national top 50. “Coaches may like what they see while they’re coming to look at me. We all help each other out like that.”
We caught up with Jones, who on Thursday was named a McDonald’s All-American, to pick his brain about everything from what he likes about each of the five schools on his list to how likely it is that sought-after recruit Terrence Ross (who recently transferred to Jefferson from Montrose Christian in Rockville, Md.) will suit up for the Democrats this year.

HighSchoolHoop: So how is your season going?
Terrence Jones: We’re doing pretty good. We only lost two games.

HSH: What are you averaging?
TJ: About 30 points.

HSH: What’s been your toughest test this season?
TJ: Probably when we played against Josh Smith (Kentwood, Wash.). It really wasn’t a matchup because they played a lot of zone in the second half. But it was tough at times because he’s a real center and I had to guard the post. I’m not really used to that. But hey, we won.

HSH: That’s always good. So we hear Terrence Ross may be playing with you soon?
TJ: That’s a possibility. I don’t know about him playing yet, but I know that he’s attending school here now.

HSH: Run me down your list of schools.
TJ: Oregon, Kentucky, Oklahoma, UCLA and Washington.

HSH: And you’ve made all of your visits, right?
TJ: Yeah.

HSH: Since a big reason for your holdout is to get exposure for your teammates, that could lead some to believe that you may already know where you’re going?
TJ: Yeah I could see why you would say that, but no, I don’t know yet. When I do know I’ll make a decision. Right now, I’m just concentrating on my season.

HSH: So tell me what you like about each of the schools on your list.
TJ: Well, with Kentucky they’re a powerhouse right now. They win and they put guys in the NBA. Oregon is my home state, and I have a great relationship with the players. At UCLA, Coach Ben Howland is trying to put big things together down there for next year. It’s a great city and they’ve got good players. Washington’s coach, Lorenzo Romar, is an excellent coach on and off the court. I’ve got a great relationship with Abdul Gaddy (UW) too. With Oklahoma, I’ve gotten to know Coach Jeff Capel really well. I got a feel for how it’s a family environment down there. Then I know Tiny Gallon (UO) really well too, so that’s a plus.

HSH: Are any of the schools’ playing styles more conducive to the way you’d like to play in college?
TJ: I feel like they’re all a good fit for me. I can adjust to any style, so that’s not a big deal for me.

HSH: What is the biggest factor that will go into your decision?
TJ: Just how much of an impact I can have right away. That’s important to me, and I want to be able to trust the coach to make me a better player and a better person. I really want to be able to learn a lot on the next level.

HSH: When do you plan to decide?
TJ: My plan is to announce during the late signing period.

he wants to make a impact...i could be wrong bc i thought wed be like a 4 seed this yr but i think he could put us in the sweet 16

Back