CBS Sports Previews the Big 12

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Highest OU was picked is 5th, and the lowest was 8th.

Oklahoma

Lon Kruger led the Sooners to the NCAA tournament in just his second season in Norman. It was surprising and impressive. But the top three scorers -- Romero Osby, Steven Pledger and Amath M'Baye -- are all gone from that team, and OU doesn't really have any newcomers who project as instant-impact guys at this level. In other words, a second consecutive appearance in the Field of 68 is unlikely, especially with so many questions in the frontcourt. The leading returning scorer? That's sophomore Buddy Hield -- a two-star recruit out of high school who averaged 7.8 points per game last season (while shooting 38.8 percent from the field and 23.8 percent from 3-point range) before breaking a bone in his foot in February.

More here:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...college-basketball-conference-previews-big-12

Good. I like those expectations. Calling out buddy? Odd. Pretty sure he was a 4*? Or am I dreaming?

Good. I like those expectations. Calling out buddy? Odd. Pretty sure he was a 4*? Or am I dreaming?

I thought the Buddy comment was odd too. Buddy is Kansas good. The difference is that he could come to OU and play a lot right away. If he were at Kansas, there could be a half dozen just like him.

I thought the Buddy comment was odd too. Buddy is Kansas good. The difference is that he could come to OU and play a lot right away. If he were at Kansas, there could be a half dozen just like him.

As a coach we show our players stuff like this. Its a good Motivator!

I will say, I don't think we finish behind K-state. Give Weber more than one year anywhere and his 'talent' begins to shine through. Losing McGruder and then Rodriguez will be a huge blow to them IMO

1. Kansas, I won't go against them til someone unseats them.
2. OSU, too much talent for even Ford to mess up.
3. Iowa St., always seems to get the mix of guys on the right page come conference.
4. Baylor, Drew is a fool, but Austin, Jefferson, and Gathers is a really good frontcourt.
5. OU, I think we make the dance as a 10 seed again.
6. KSU, Weber is already turning things around for the worst and this will be the start.
7. TCU, I think will surprise some people, not a bad frontcourt at all.
8. Texas, Texas sucks, too much turnaround with too little.
9. WVU, I think Huggins cleaned house bc they weren't his type of players. Will take a year or 2 to get back to where he wants.
10. TTU, Gilespie left it terrible, not sure how long it will be before Tubby can make them out to be anything.

3-5 could be switched in any order, I think that race will be tighter than 1 vs 2.

Last edited:
1. Kansas, I won't go against them til someone unseats them.
2. OSU, too much talent for even Ford to mess up.
3. Iowa St., always seems to get the mix of guys on the right page come conference.
4. Baylor, Drew is a fool, but Austin, Jefferson, and Gathers is a really good frontcourt.
5. OU, I think we make the dance as a 10 seed again.
6. KSU, Weber is already turning things around for the worst and this will be the start.
7. TCU, I think will surprise some people, not a bad frontcourt at all.
8. Texas, Texas sucks, too much turnaround with too little.
9. WVU, I think Huggins cleaned house bc they weren't his type of players. Will take a year or 2 to get back to where he wants.
10. TTU, Gilespie left it terrible, not sure how long it will be before Tubby can make them out to be anything.

3-5 could be switched in any order, I think that race will be tighter than 1 vs 2.

Really like this projection. I agree, Weber is just the worst. Give him time anywhere and he will run you into the ground. Losing MacGruder is huge, and then Rodriguez running off... ouch. I see 6 as their ceiling. I'm hoping we can get 8-10 wins out of TTU, WVU, UT, TCU and KSU alone. Steal a game or two here or there and we have a great conference record, and 20 wins again. Very weak bottom half of the conference to get our record up for the tourney. Just need to take care of business in non-conference.

Agree on tourney, I could see us in an 8-9 game this year. I would be happy with that with this team, thinking about them going for a 6/7 seed or higher the next year.

I'd say between 4th and 6th for OU. Very similar to last season. I know what my expectations are for OU, what is hard to tell is how good/bad the other teams will be. Last season proves that. But I'd be pretty shocked if we weren't in the 4-6 range.

Back