Charlotte Bobcats sign Al Jefferson for 3 year, $40.5 million

thebigabd

Reaction score
PG: Kemba Walker
SG: Gerald Henderson
SF: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
PF: Cody Zeller
C: Al Jefferson

Well, they are upgrading. Jefferson is entering his prime and has averaged 19/10 over the past 7 seasons. Getting Kemba, MKG, Zeller, and Jefferson in the past few years is heading in the right direction.

Not sure how much more money they have to spend, but this is a "solid" starting 5 if Zeller pans out. They could definitely stand to pick up another good FA this year.

That is about as bad a roster as you will ever see. The poor get poorer.

That is about as bad a roster as you will ever see. The poor get poorer.
Not as bad as...

PG: Kemba Walker
SF: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
PF: Byron Mullens/Josh McRoberts
C: Bismack Biyombo

or

PG: D.J. Augustin
SF: Corey Maggette
PF: Tyrus Thomas
C: Bismack Biyombo

Don't get me wrong: they still have a terrible lineup, but they put some polish on that turd.

I'm not sure what to make of this Jefferson signing. Overpaying a veteran free agent is completely inconsistent with the "Thunder model" that Rich Cho was brought in to execute. Just speculating, but I think MJ got impatient with the rebuild, as they're not landing star draft picks, and pushed for this kind of signing. Meanwhile, I don't think it takes the rebuilding off course too much, as they'll still be terrible, and Jefferson will have some trade value a year or two down the road. His salary is bloated, but it's a short contract, and there are fringe contenders that will have interest but don't currently have the cap space to sign him right now.

In other words, the front office placates MJ for the moment without going too far off course in rebuilding because Jefferson isn't nearly as good as MJ thinks.

Back