Daniel Orton gets props by jeff goodman

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
I just found out the Preseason AP Poll will be released on Thursday. Kansas will be the clear-cut No. 1 team in the land, but it’ll be interesting to see who gets the nod at No. 2.

Personally, I like Kentucky – especially with the rave reviews coming out of Lexington about freshman point guard John Wall.

One NBA executive who was at practice recently raved about Wall’s leadership.

``I’ve never seen anything like it from a freshman,” the NBA executive told FOXSports.com. ``You can tell he’s all about winning.”

Supposedly, Wall stood at midcourt and every single player on his team came over and slapped his hand.

The NBA guy also said that freshman big man Daniel Orton had his way on that afternoon with fellow frosh DeMarcus Cousins.

``He tore his #$% up,” is what he told me.

In my opinion, Orton may have the highest NBA upside of any big guy outside of Derrick favors, in the Freshman class.

That doesn't suprise me that Orton tore up Cousins, really Tiny got his spot in the AA game, due to Daniel's injury. After watching the game played, Tiny impressed me more than any other big man in that game, so I'm not taking anything away from Tiny, I think his size was a big reason for being ranked lower than some of the guys in front of him. With that said, UK should be good this year and I hope Orton out works and out performs Cousins. I think Orton will be the best freshman big man, next to Tiny.

One NBA executive who was at practice recently raved about Wall’s leadership.
``I’ve never seen anything like it from a freshman,” the NBA executive told FOXSports.com. ``You can tell he’s all about winning.”

Then I'm curious as to why his high school team was 17-12.
We're talking about high school.

That doesn't suprise me that Orton tore up Cousins, really Tiny got his spot in the AA game, due to Daniel's injury. After watching the game played, Tiny impressed me more than any other big man in that game, so I'm not taking anything away from Tiny, I think his size was a big reason for being ranked lower than some of the guys in front of him. With that said, UK should be good this year and I hope Orton out works and out performs Cousins. I think Orton will be the best freshman big man, next to Tiny.

I am really pulling for Daniel and hope that he has a great year.

If you are talking about his SR record he missed all but the later rounds of playoffs with a knee injury all year.

I thought this thread was all about DO, my bad.

Last edited:

tiny makes that team no matter what being the best player on Oak hill makes you a lock to make the mcdaa game ..

I'm really rooting for Orton. Kid's had a tough go of it over the last year. Plus, I love his skillset. Dude also has some of the longest arms I've ever seen.

Tiny's a better player than Daniel. Daniel has more upside though.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Tiny, I'm just going off the rankings espn had before the rooster for the MCDAA game last year. With Orton out his senoir season due to injury, it allowed Tiny to move up a spot, thats all I meant, it wasn't the only reason Tiny got the invitation to the game.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Tiny, I'm just going off the rankings espn had before the rooster for the MCDAA game last year. With Orton out his senoir season due to injury, it allowed Tiny to move up a spot, thats all I meant, it wasn't the only reason Tiny got the invitation to the game.

ESPN rankings have nothing to do with the MCd's game. Gallon was a lock for that roster. He dominated his SR season and being on Oak Hill meant he played against the best teams in the country and everyone saw it.

He ended up #10 in the RSCI rankings.

ESPN rankings have nothing to do with the MCd's game. Gallon was a lock for that roster. He dominated his SR season and being on Oak Hill meant he played against the best teams in the country and everyone saw it.

ESPN rankings do to play a role in picking the team, the selection committee uses all the major sporting news publications to compile a nominee list, then it goes through a voting process and at the end of it, each member has to pick 4 G's 4 F's and 2 C's form the east and the west. A note, a senior can't be eligible if he misses more than half his senior season.

ESPN rankings do to play a role in picking the team, the selection committee uses all the major sporting news publications to compile a nominee list, then it goes through a voting process and at the end of it, each member has to pick 4 G's 4 F's and 2 C's form the east and the west. A note, a senior can't be eligible if he misses more than half his senior season.

If you can find a link that says that ESPN's rankings factor into the McD's game then I'll give you that. I've never heard that before, everything I've heard is it's basically a certain number of people who have a vote. The nomination process is pretty broad in that tons of kids are nominated.

Even so, ESPN's rankings would be valued no more than any other service.

That is the thing I never get about some of these big guys. I am short (5'11" ) and not particularly talented but I see some of the stats on guys that are 6'10" and think I could sleep walk to those stats in high school if I were 6'10" (I realize things are easier done than said). I just don't see how an uncoordinated 6'5" in high school stops a future 6'10" NBA player, epsecially on the boards. Unless high school has changed a lot since I went, I would think these big guys have a combined foot advantage on their competition with reach and height. I just don't recall guys in my high school being all that tall. My recollection of the basketball team was a bunch of pretty good athletes that were basically 6'2" to maybe 6'5". I really don't recall that much difference in height from the backcourt to the front court.

Exactly. Wall may be a great talent, but if he is a great leader, it's all of a sudden.

Note: Jeff Goodman is a bit of clown to me. I'm not sure why I even opened the thread.

Speaking of clowns, what the hell is wrong with Mike Dunleavy? You're best player without Blake is EJ Gordon and you're letting Chris Kaman and Al Thornton throw up prayers from all over the court. If the Lakers had Gasol and weren't fooling around, they would be getting murdered.

Last edited:
Back