ESPN Power Rankings have OU at 17

MNsooner

Administrator
Reaction score
ESPN said:
No Blake Griffin, no chance? Hardly. Oklahoma probably has no shot at a national title, but any Willie Warren-led team can't be ignored, even if it is in the same conference as Kansas and Texas. By the way, keep an eye on "Tiny" Gallon (he'll be hard to miss).

It's not a glowing review, but they also aren't disrespecting us.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/powerranking?season=2010&week=1

Its a slap in the face to our conference to only have 3 Big 12 teams in the top 25. I think that will change real soon.

OU, Kansas State, Kansas, Texas, Iowa State, and Missouri will be in the top 25 by January 1st.

No kidding, I'm not a Big 12 fan or anything like that. I'm an OU fan, but they need to give a little more credit to the conference. I think its the toughest conference in CBB this year.

Oh and in case anyone is interested no voter left us out of the top 25. Our lowest vote was from Dick Vitale who has us at 22 and our highest was Gottlieb who has us at 7.

Oh and in case anyone is interested no voter left us out of the top 25. Our lowest vote was from Dick Vitale who has us at 22 and our highest was Gottlieb who has us at 7.

You're kidding.

Gottlieb is our biggest fan in the national media. I wonder what the Okie State fans think about that?

One thing about Gottlieb, he will always give you his honest opinion. If he would have picked OSU high, it would not be because of a bias but rather his honest opinion.

One thing about Gottlieb, he will always give you his honest opinion. If he would have picked OSU high, it would not be because of a bias but rather his honest opinion.

He was the only guy who I saw that had the pokes in the top 25. He had 5 big XII teams in the top 25.

Here's the shocker of the century.

the espn the mag preview was very high on the big 12 ..

kansas 1 texas 2 OU 8 mizzou 14 osu 20

and both fran and doug have WW as national POY

Overall, I think it is a far assessment of where we are at right now. In January, I think we will be higher on the list.

I can't agree with the statement Tiny will "be hard to miss." Yes, if you are talking about in the general public, any 6'9" guy is hard to miss. Yes, if you are talking about his skill level putting him on the radar, anyone with his talent is hard to miss. But no, if you are referring to his weight, he is barely noticeable.

The body transformation between the McDAA game and our first exhibition game is unbelievable. The last time I saw him I had to do a double take to make sure it was actually him. He looks great. Pittman from Texas has also lost a lot of weight, but the difference is that Tiny looks trim and athletic while Pittman still has that big-body look. Tiny is no Ryan Wright or Blake Griffin, but he looks very strong and agile.

I know Tiny is proud of his weight loss, and he should be. I won't even be mad every grame I have to hear about it from the TV announcers. And I won't curse the announcers for not having knew material. But I wish people would look at our team and his game more than to say he was so big and almost got kicked out of Oak Hill. The ESPN write up should have said, "Look out for Tiny. He'll be hard to miss, and not only because of his size." Or something else that spoke to his skill level.

The ESPN write up should have said, "Look out for Tiny. He'll be hard to miss, and not only because of his size." Or something else that spoke to his skill level.

I'm pretty sure that was the implication; that Tiny would be a big man with big talent. If it weren't the case, I can't imagine anybody writing a review on the team and pointing somebody out just because they are big. If somebody who sits on the bench all year is big, nobody in the national media is going to notice enough to care.

Most years, it's probably mid-season before Dickie V even realizes OU HAS a basketball program.

Well last year is the year he didn't even have us in his preseason top 25. Absolutely ludicrous.

Well last year is the year he didn't even have us in his preseason top 25. Absolutely ludicrous.

And if my memory is correct, he had Blake as a second team All American (or was it Honorable Mention?).

DG may always give his honest opinion, but you can always count on a decent Big 12 plug just about every time he talks or writes. He realizes people forget we play basketball down here... I am in no way a Dickie V fan, but he did acknowledge his slight of OU last season a couple weeks into the season, but we all know it's pretty obvious he's not the biggest Sooner fan. Maybe we need a little blue in our uni's.

He had Blake as 3rd team. AJ Abrams and Damion James were both 2nd team.

Back