Former OU assistant, Wayman Tisdale's HS coach to receive award

TulsaWorld

Reaction score
From Barry Lewis...

Mike Mims, who coached Booker T. Washington to three state basketball titles, will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award on June 22 at the third annual All-World Awards, sponsored by Braum’s, at the Marriott Southern Hills.

Previous winners were Jenks’ Allan Trimble and Barnsdall’s Joe Gilbert.

Mims led the Hornets to six state tournament appearances in 10 seasons, including titles in 1973, ’77 and ’81. That last title team included legendary University of Oklahoma All-American Wayman Tisdale.

Mims then spent 12 years as an OU assistant before returning to his high school alma mater, Washington, for three years as dean of students and athletic director. He later was an administrator at Hale and Sand Springs high schools.

A photo from our 1982 archives: Wayman Tisdale, with his girlfriend and future wife Regina Ashley and coach Mike Mims, announces he will sign with Oklahoma in 1982:

5cbdc6ccdbe48.image.jpg

Mr Mims was a referee for my little league games at the Salvation Army here in Sand Springs growing up. I was also a senior at Sand Springs 10 years ago when he was an administrator as mentioned in the article.

I wish I had asked him more about his time coaching at OU. Congrats to him!

Mike Mims was succeeded as boys basketball coach at Tulsa's Booker T. Washington by Nate Harris in 1982 when Mims went to OU.

Coach Harris, who won 10 Oklahoma state basketball titles at BTW, died Tuesday.

“He was one of the most competitive coaches we ever faced,” said the Rev. William Tisdale, a member of the Hornets’ 1981 state championship team, coached by Mike Mims.

“Everybody said he had talented players, but you had to be able to coach to take that talent and win state championships,” Tisdale said. “It was amazing what he accomplished.”

Back