Has Michael Jordan put a 50+ win team together in Charlotte?

thebigabd

Reaction score
Lance Stephenson to Charlotte.

PG: Kemba Walker --- Gary Neal
SG: Gerald Henderson --- Chris Douglas-Roberts
SF: Lance Stephenson --- Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
PF: Cody Zeller --- Noah Vonleh
C: Al Jefferson --- Bismack Biyombo

This is the correct answer.

This is the most bigabd thread ever. I saw this thread coming from a mile away, at least from the moment my brother inexplicably felt the need to text me at 5 AM to alert me of Stephenson's signing.

I'm going to qualify my answer. It's a probable "no," but not definite. The east is still terrible, Charlotte has some young guys whose improvement can bump them a few games, and they have another year to acclimate to Clifford.

They won 43 games last year. You don't think Lance Stephenson, Noah Vonleh, and their young group of MKG, Cody Zeller, and Kemba Walker coming back could notch them 7 more wins?

They won 43 games last year. You don't think Lance Stephenson, Noah Vonleh, and their young group of MKG, Cody Zeller, and Kemba Walker coming back could notch them 7 more wins?

On paper that might make sense, and I think they'll be better, but I don't see them winning 50. Miami will still be good. So will Indy. Cleveland will win a lot more. The Bulls should win more. Washington should be better.

I just don't see them moving up the standings that enough to get to 50 wins.

43 wins to 50 wins is a big jump. That's harder than jumping from 36 to 43 wins, for example. Likewise, jumping from 50 to 57 wins is more difficult than going from 43 to 50.

I don't think it's realistic to expect Vonleh to be an immediate contributor. He may turn into a really nice piece in time, but he's not playing major minutes out the gate.

MKG and Cody Zeller look like role players, and while Walker is a nice young player, he doesn't appear to be a star either. Those guys can and probably will improve, but they're likely not going to make the huge year-to-year leaps that young stars make.

Stephenson is a big addition. For all of his baggage, he should be a net positive, but he's not a perfect fit on that roster. Last year Charlotte was shockingly good on defense but absolutely putrid on offense. Lack of spacing was a major issue, and that's exacerbated by the loss of McRoberts--he's not a sniper, but he's an above average outside shooter for a PF. Marvin Williams may alleviate that if he's a full-time PF, but he's nowhere near the passer that McBobs is, so that's going to hurt their ball movement. Stephenson will give them some more juice as another creator on offense, but he's also a mediocre 3-point shooter, so he's not helping them spread the floor for Big Al.

Also, as WT pointed out, a lot of teams in the east got better. Lebron's move to Cleveland results in one less punching bag in the conference. The Bulls added Gasol. You cite Charlotte's internal improvement with Walker and MKG, but Washington is going to get even bigger boost from the improvement of stars like Wall and Beal. The Pistons may still be bad, but SVG should give them a bump. I'm not sure that anyone got significantly worse, aside from possibly Indiana (though if the Pacers get out of whatever funk that was in the second half of the season, they'll be fine) and Brooklyn (if Lopez stays healthy, that may help offset the loss of Pierce, plus they won't have a rookie coach learning on the job).

It wouldn't completely shock me to see Charlotte get 50 wins, but I think the odds are well below 50%.

Forgot to mention that they also added Marvin Williams, previously of Utah, to their roster. He will also help them space the floor, and should be an immediate contributor and possibly a starter from day one.

The Hawks are more interesting than the Hornets IMO. They get Horford back and add Sefolosha to replace Lou Williams.

It was very impressive how they played vs the Pacers.

Teague
Sefolosha
Korver
Milsap
Horford

It may not look sexy but that all those guys can compliment each other.

The Hawks are more interesting than the Hornets IMO. They get Horford back and add Sefolosha to replace Lou Williams.

Teague
Sefolosha
Korver
Milsap
Horford

Good call. Always forget about them. They probably would have finished ahead of Charlotte had Horford been healthy.

Teague
Sefolosha
Korver
Milsap
Horford

I would argue Charlotte is better at 3 positions on the floor than Atlanta, and Teague and Walker is possibly a push. Jefferson and Horford could be a push as well.

Teague = Walker
Sefolosha < Henderson
Korver < Stephenson
Milsap > Zeller/Williams
Horford < Jefferson

Last edited:
Sefolosha is a downgrade. He's been the worst starting two guard in the league for at least two years, and there are plenty of 6th men that would make better starters than him. I was shocked he wasn't headed back to Europe after this past season.

Sefolosha is a downgrade. He's been the worst starting two guard in the league for at least two years, and there are plenty of 6th men that would make better starters than him. I was shocked he wasn't headed back to Europe after this past season.

LAst year I agree. But two years ago, thabo was a good player and perfect for the thunder. He didn't turn the ball over, was hitting over 40% of threes, and played great defense. Last year he was a 31% shooter and his D was drastically worse.

I'm guessing the hawks are hoping that he was still bothered by his injury and he will get his stroke back. $4MM is a lot for hoping though

Who does Atlanta have coming off their bench???? That lineup looks decent, but minus Korver, who can score more than 10 feet from the basket?? I haven't watched a lot of Hawks games in the last couple of seasons. Isn't Teague more of a penetrate & finish guy than a shooter??

Who does Atlanta have coming off their bench???? That lineup looks decent, but minus Korver, who can score more than 10 feet from the basket?? I haven't watched a lot of Hawks games in the last couple of seasons. Isn't Teague more of a penetrate & finish guy than a shooter??

Shelvin Mack, Mike Scott, & DeMarre Carroll are the main guys. They added Adreian Payne in the draft.

Again it's nothing sexy but they started coming together by the end of new head coach Budenholzers first season. Won't be surprised to see Thabo bounce back in that Spurs type system and be a pest who hits 3s. Getting Horford back is huge too. It's a pretty solid roster.

You must have missed all of those Hawks-Pacers playoff games on NBA TV. Atlanta was more reliant on 3-point shooting than any team in the league except Houston.

Guys like Millsap, Carroll, and Antic aren't sharpshooters, but when you have five solid shooters out on the floor, it puts a ton of pressure on the defense and makes a defender like Hibbert (who lives in the paint) unplayable.

I bet they win 50+. The east is still horrid.

Charlotte is 12-24 looking to dump born ready ... Hawks are a machine at 26-8 leading the East with a 7 game winning streak vs the West.

Back