How much of an impact did Taylor Griffin have?

Most underrated player last year?

Not to take anything away from Taylor, but we shouldn't miss him as much as we do. The fact that Wright and Allen aren't very good, doesn't make Taylor better than he was. Adding Taylor to this team wouldn't help a ton, I don't think. Fact is, we should be able to recruit guys like him anytime we want. Underskilled kids who are willing to work hard, and have good basketball bodies.

Not to take anything away from Taylor, but we shouldn't miss him as much as we do. The fact that Wright and Allen aren't very good, doesn't make Taylor better than he was. Adding Taylor to this team wouldn't help a ton, I don't think. Fact is, we should be able to recruit guys like him anytime we want. Underskilled kids who are willing to work hard, and have good basketball bodies.

Taylor was a very solid player; he was the 6th best SF in the conference last year, and was AJ's equal as the second/third best player on the team. Any team in the conference could have used him in some capacity...

Adding Taylor to this team wouldn't help a ton, I don't think.

I strongly disagree. We don't necessarily need an all-world player to line up alongside Gallon, but we could sure use a strong, savvy, hard-working player like Taylor who also brings leadership.

I'm not saying we'd suddenly be a great team with him, but we'd be significantly better than we are now.

Taylor Griffin would be help this team tremendously.

he's on a friggin nba roster right now, so id say he is greatly missed

People can try to knock what Taylor means to any basketball team, but the simple fact is that he played very very hard and just made plays...he was a glue guy that most good teams have, and is a guy that seperates the good teams from the average teams...

He improved each year offensively and could have an impact on that end even though he wasnt polished, and defensively...well that speaks for itself with his intensity...

I strongly disagree. We don't necessarily need an all-world player to line up alongside Gallon, but we could sure use a strong, savvy, hard-working player like Taylor who also brings leadership.

I'm not saying we'd suddenly be a great team with him, but we'd be significantly better than we are now.

He would be worth an additional margin of about 5 points per 100 possessions. OU's current margin is +8 per 100. Going to +13 would move OU from ~#105 to ~#70 in the current ratings; a +13 over a whole season would put OU at about 60th overall. OU was a +26 team last year.

he's on a friggin nba roster right now, so id say he is greatly missed

Hollis never made an NBA roster. I miss him more.
Ace never made an NBA roster. I miss him more.
Nolan Johnson never made and NBA roster. I miss him more.
Taj never made an NBA roster. I miss him more.
Bookout never made an NBA roster. I miss him ore.

I'm tired, I'm going to stop now.

He would be worth an additional margin of about 5 points per 100 possessions. OU's current margin is +8 per 100. Going to +13 would move OU from ~#105 to ~#70 in the current ratings; a +13 over a whole season would put OU at about 60th overall. OU was a +26 team last year.

I just stood up for the statistical analysis you use. THIS is where it falls short IMO. You can't just plug him into the team, and expect everybody else to keep contributing.

Crocker wouldn't be nearly as valuable at the SF spot. I think we'd become weaker and more predictable on offense. We'd then be starting two bigs that both do better getting the ball at the FT line or so. Taylor can't defend big, legit big men any better than Tiny can.

I'm not saying we wouldn't be ANY better with Taylor on the team, I'm just saying our record wouldn't be any different, most likely. UNLESS.....his toughness and leadership wore off on everybody else. That is a stretch though.

Taylor had his faults, but he would have given us a dependable player defensively at the other post position, who was also capable of taking advantage of scoring opportunities at the four. We have no one who can do that now. That would have allowed Tony to move back to the three where he belongs.

I will also point out that we miss Taylor's senior leadership, far more than I ever imagined. This team has no leader (zip, nada), and it couldn't have come at a worse time for a very young team.

I just stood up for the statistical analysis you use. THIS is where it falls short IMO. You can't just plug him into the team, and expect everybody else to keep contributing.

Crocker wouldn't be nearly as valuable at the SF spot. I think we'd become weaker and more predictable on offense. We'd then be starting two bigs that both do better getting the ball at the FT line or so. Taylor can't defend big, legit big men any better than Tiny can.

I'm not saying we wouldn't be ANY better with Taylor on the team, I'm just saying our record wouldn't be any different, most likely. UNLESS.....his toughness and leadership wore off on everybody else. That is a stretch though.

Basically, I just took Ryan Wright's and Andrew Fitzgerald's minutes and gave them to him... I don't think that's disputable! And TC would do about the same if he got some time at the 4 and some at the 3, I think.

AJ is definitely in the missed category....Just in terms of leadership...I dont necessarily think he is a better player than TMG

Hollis never made an NBA roster. I miss him more.
Ace never made an NBA roster. I miss him more.
Nolan Johnson never made and NBA roster. I miss him more.
Taj never made an NBA roster. I miss him more.
Bookout never made an NBA roster. I miss him ore.

I'm tired, I'm going to stop now.

i never compared taylor with any of those players

the initial question in the thread was "was taylor the most underrated player last year"?

Yeah, that's a really weak set of comparisons by TU. If anyone doesn't think Taylor Griffin would help this team immensely then they are deluding themselves.

Pretty much. Taylor can defend and he could get some boards, you cant say how much we need a big athletic body like him inside. Even more important is he would be the leader on this team and he wouldnt let our guys get away with all the crap that theyre doing right now.

We miss TG !!! We miss toughness. BG and TG came to OU with discipline and resolve. We have very little leadership, so Capel needs to force young boys to become men, quickly.

Exactly. Taylor was a role player and OU should be ready to replace him.

Taylor would provide tremendously to the defensive end and more important leadership. He would provide a thought to those guards who are trying to drive it to the basket. He would also provide intensity in practice like both TG and BG did in practice.

Back