How recruiting gurus ranked 2013 NBA 1st round draft picks

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
Where recruiting gurus ranked 2013 NBA 1st round draft picks (LINK).

http://www.wdrb.com/story/22716746/bozich-how-the-recruiting-gurus-fared-on-nba-draft-night

See article and chart at link. The chart is very interesting.

BOZICH: How The Recruiting Gurus Fared On NBA Draft Night
By Rick Bozich

Nerlens Noel was one of the few first-round picks in the NBA Draft who was ranked a Top 10 pick in high school.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – Everybody has questions about the NBA Draft. I have questions, too. Why did Nerlens Noel slide from the first pick to the sixth? His knee. His interviews. His percentage of body fat. Did Sacramento get the best value by grabbing Ben McLemore of Kansas with the seventh selection? I vote, "Yes." Who is Livio Jean-Charles and did the Spurs draft him simply because Gregg Popovich wanted to take a trip to Europe? I vote, "Yes," again.

To all those, add one more: How do the recruiting rankings correspond to the way the names went on the board? I can't answer the first three, but I'll take a whack at number four: You'd be surprised.

Think about this: I looked at the final high school rankings over the last five seasons from Scout and Rivals. I wanted the numbers for where all the first-round picks were ranked when they left high school. This is what I found:

Top 10 guys: Four (Nerlens Noel, Shabazz Muhammad, Steven Adams and Anthony Bennett). Those are the Scout rankings. If you use Rivals, you can also add Reggie Bullock, who was ranked 10th in 2010.

Unranked guys: Six (Victor Oladipo, C.J. McCollum, Shane Larkin, Tony Snell, Tim Hardaway Jr, Andre Roberson. NOTE: A typo in my chart lists Oladipo in the 2011 class. He was 2010.)

Foreign guys: Nine. I won't bore you with all the names.

Three more guys were taken who were not ranked in the Top 50 in their classes.

Remember that when your favorite school either lands – or whiffs – with the next Must Have Prospect. Some guys peak when they're 17 years old. Others live in the gym or weight room and improve. Follow the rankings. Don't obsess over the rankings.

That is why I don't get too worked up about recruiting. Plenty of unranked HS kids that end up being good players, and plenty of top 100 kids that flame out. Outside of the top 10 or 15 in each class, there isn't much distinction in some cases. And OU, at this point, can't expect to land top 15 type kids, unless they grew up OU fans.

That is why I don't get too worked up about recruiting. Plenty of unranked HS kids that end up being good players, and plenty of top 100 kids that flame out. ...

Yep. I do not get very interested in a prospect until they visit the OU campus.

Regarding OUr "unranked" players, I get excited when a player already on the team turns out to be a hard working "gym rat" that constantly works to improve. Reportedly, we have several of those right now.

Back