I have a confession to make... Thunder / Clippers

afaSooner

Reaction score
When the Thunder moved here to OKC it didn't make me a fan instantly, I did however become a fan after my interest and connection to the team increased over time. When the Thunder moved here I was familiar with Durant and knew his skills would immediately make him an Allstar at the NBA level but the team was lackluster at best and I just wasn't familiar with them. Going into the 2009 NBA draft I was hoping Griffin would end up in OKC and help shore up my love for the Thunder but it didn't happen. I struggled at first and felt an almost "arranged" love for the Thunder but when Harden & Green came in and Scott Brooks took over as head coach, things started to change. I began enjoying being a fan of the Thunder and in turn began watching games on TV as well as keeping up with the team. I did take notice, however, that my favorite BB player of all time Blake Griffin (next to MJ) was going to Clipper land to team up with my favorite PG of all time (next to Randolph Childress) Baron Davis. This kept my eye out west for sure. As last year unfolded and Blake Griffin sat out, I become even MORE of a Thunder fan as the rise of Clipper nation would be put off for one more year. So I watched the Thunder games, rooted them on throughout the season and into the playoffs, and became more invested as a fan.

As a Thunder fan 2011 would be righteous! Things are looking good in Thunder land! I couldn't wait to follow the Thunder this year!

Yet something strange happened. I couldn't help but look out in Clipper land and watch as the young Clips struggled early but made progress as a team. Blake Griffin was back and despite what many had said about Baron Davis, Baron was playing up to his potential yet again (all star potential). D Jordan was showing everyone why he was so highly thought of coming out of HS/A&M and Eric Gordon was being Eric Gordon (probably the purest shooter/scorer in the league). As the season progressed and the Clippers team & bench took shape, my interest became more and more so to the point that my love for the Clippers surpassed that of the Thunder. How that happen!!?? It dawned on me when both teams were playing at the same time a couple weeks ago, the Thunder in High Def and the Clippers on channelsurfing.net. I tuned into the Clippers game.

The transformation has been surprising. I'm not sure how one goes about choosing what team they want to be a fan of but I've always been an OU football and basketball fan despite what player or coach has been here. I was going to Schnelly and Blake's football games for crying out loud! I figured myself to be a Thunder fan but alas my love in the NBA is with the Clippers.

I guess it's Griffin? Sure it's safe to say if he wasn't there I wouldn't be a huge Clippers fan but I'd still be a fan as long as Baron Davis, Eric Gordon, and some others I'm quite fond of are there so clearly it's a combination of things that won me over. I do like Vinnie as a coach and as the Clippers continue to turn it around it's safe to say 'greatness' has played a role as well but 'greatness' can also be found in Thunder land. At any rate it's good to be a fan of both teams however, if both teams need my support it appears the Clippers will get the nod.

Last edited:
I'm a Grizzlies fan, but the Clippers are definitely my 2nd favorite team.

The combination of Griffin + pulling for a team that is traditionally bad and watching them drastically improve is a very cool thing to watch.

I grew up in Okla. City and was very excited for the folks there when they finally got an NBA franchise. I've never been a Mavericks fan although I've lived for thirty plus years here in the metroplex. I catch every Thunder game that's on TV down here and really enjoy watching them. But, when it comes to the Thunder or the Clippers, I always go with Blake Griffin because he is a Sooner and the baddest man on the planet. Blake is the only reason I watch the Clippers over the Thunder though. What would be perfect for me would be Blake playing with the Thunder. :OU-logo:

i'm an erstwhile Nuggets fan, having lived in CO for about 15 years. but, i find nothing about the team, or Karl really....that i like much these days. Kenyon, bleh. Carmelo, most vapid man on the Earth next to maybe JR Smith. Ty Lawson I like and Billups is local...and was great when Najera was here. I liked watching Iverson, confess. but, i watch maybe one game a week these days.

so, Thunder despite the newness are working their way up. Clippers, too.

not a huge NBA these days, confess. 24 second shot clock is too much for me. they also play WAY too many games. games don't mean anything.

Back