Interesting NIL/scheduling twist

WichitaSooner

Reaction score
KU and WSU have agreed to play this December in KC, which is big news here because so many WSU fans have ridiculously claimed for years that KU has been "afraid" to play them, notwithstanding the fact that the series was stopped in the early 90s when KU was routinely beating them by about 150 per game.

But the interesting part is that the schools are apparently working on a way to use the game (presumably ticket sales) as a de facto fundraiser for both programs' NIL collectives. Maybe other schools have done that with neutral site games, but this is the first I've heard of it.

interesting...sure the crowd will be about 85-90% ku...lol.

KU and WSU have agreed to play this December in KC, which is big news here because so many WSU fans have ridiculously claimed for years that KU has been "afraid" to play them, notwithstanding the fact that the series was stopped in the early 90s when KU was routinely beating them by about 150 per game.

But the interesting part is that the schools are apparently working on a way to use the game (presumably ticket sales) as a de facto fundraiser for both programs' NIL collectives. Maybe other schools have done that with neutral site games, but this is the first I've heard of it.

Yeah, KU quit playing them when they sucked and then refused to play them when they became really good again. I know you hate Wichita state but at least be honest. Now, wsu sucks again so ku will play them in KC.

I get why ku didn’t want to play them every year. There’s not a lot of upside for them. It’s like OU playing Tulsa every year. Although we do play Tulsa more often.

Yeah, KU quit playing them when they sucked and then refused to play them when they became really good again. I know you hate Wichita state but at least be honest. Now, wsu sucks again so ku will play them in KC.

I get why ku didn’t want to play them every year. There’s not a lot of upside for them. It’s like OU playing Tulsa every year. Although we do play Tulsa more often.

Trust me, KU barely knows that WSU exists. There is no chance they ever were worried about playing them for the three years WSU was good. The Wichita State fans believed anything that the cult of Marshall said, which is why they convinced themselves that KU was scared. That would be like saying OU football is scared if they decline to play Tulsa. As you said, very little upside.

interesting...sure the crowd will be about 85-90% ku...lol.

Actually, I think that a ton of WSU fans will go. They dream of playing KU, and if it’s treated as a neutral site game, I’m sure they’ll get their hands on tickets. But they have already started making excuses about it being a rebuilding year. Which is funny because for WSU, being really good is very much the exception.

Trust me, KU barely knows that WSU exists. There is no chance they ever were worried about playing them for the three years WSU was good. The Wichita State fans believed anything that the cult of Marshall said, which is why they convinced themselves that KU was scared. That would be like saying OU football is scared if they decline to play Tulsa. As you said, very little upside.

LOL. I never said ku was scared but they definitely did not want to play wichita. It’s a high risk low reward for them. And Wichita state did beat them in the ncaa tourney which didn’t sit well with everyone at ku. To say they don’t know Wichita state exists is incorrect. They’re not threatened by Wichita, just annoyed. They still didn’t want to play them tho.

LOL. I never said ku was scared but they definitely did not want to play wichita. It’s a high risk low reward for them. And Wichita state did beat them in the ncaa tourney which didn’t sit well with everyone at ku. To say they don’t know Wichita state exists is incorrect. They’re not threatened by Wichita, just annoyed. They still didn’t want to play them tho.

I agree with most of your points. I exaggerated saying they don’t know they exist. I should have said they simply don’t care or think about them. I’m surrounded by KU friends and family members. I can’t recall a single time one of them has ever brought up WSU unless a WSU fan says something to them. They certainly hated losing to them, but mainly because of how obnoxious the Wichita State fans got after a couple good seasons. I still remember how often Marshall’s stupid son would retweet graphics showing any stat that WSU compared favorably to KU, obviously overlooking the fact that WSU played in an awful league and the sample size was just a couple years. In any event, at least for one year, Shocker fans have had their wish granted. :)

Back