Iowa State has two top 30 players and two top 100 players.

thebigabd

Reaction score
But can they win?

Chris Colvin- #99 overall player by rivals
Marquis Gilstrap- #26 overall player by ESPN
LaRon Dendy- #68 overall player by rivals
Craig Brackins- #20 overall player by rivals

PG: Chris Colvin (6'2'' 195)
SG: Lucca Staiger (6'5'' 220)
SF: Marquis Gilstrap (6'6'' 210)
PF: Laron Dendy (6'9'' 225)
PF: Craig Brackins (6'10'' 230)

I'm sorry but Gilstrap isn't a top 30 player. ESPN is consistently different than the big two sites (Scout and Rivals), and he is not anywhere near the top 30 mark on either of those two sites.

As for if the clones can win, they better because that coach will be on the hot seat if they don't. I think they will finish 3rd in the north and be right on the bubble for a tournament spot if the Big 12 is somehow able to get 7 in this year.

I'm sorry but Gilstrap isn't a top 30 player. ESPN is consistently different than the big two sites (Scout and Rivals), and he is not anywhere near the top 30 mark on either of those two sites.

They dont rank jucos the same. In fact, rivals doesnt rate juco players at all. how is that fair?

They dont rank jucos the same. In fact, rivals doesnt rate juco players at all. how is that fair?

I just don't think he is a top 30 overall player. I think it is rare in this day and age for any JUCO to be in the top 30 overall.

I just don't think he is a top 30 overall player. I think it is rare in this day and age for any JUCO to be in the top 30 overall.

I'm not of the opinion that Gilstrap was "top 30 overall" in the 2009 class, but he has the potential to be an outstanding player for the Cyclones. He has great size and a very well-rounded game both offensively and defensively. Brad Reese, Tech signee, was supposed to be one of the top four or five JUCO players in the country for 2009 and Gilstrap came in to Gulf Coast C.C. and stole all of his limelight. Other than being turnover-prone... I think he could be a tremendous duo with Brackins. I'm with BigTime, I think the Cyclones are right there at 3rd in the North and they should be a real interesting team to watch.

with Brackins coming back, this is the year McDermott has got to show something. other coaches always talk highly of him (including Capel) in terms that seem more than just "coach-speak"....maybe he's Dana Altman II and will have to find himself back at the mid-major level (if ISU doesn't sniff .500 in league this year).

Last edited:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI9G7eMDnUI[/ame]

Thirty-five seconds in....HELLO! Gilstrap can play, great pick-up for Iowa State if he can fit into their system.

Gotta love JUCO though, ball movement is optional.

Thirty-five seconds in....HELLO! Gilstrap can play, great pick-up for Iowa State if he can fit into their system.

Gotta love JUCO though, ball movement is optional.

Yea, thats why ESPN said he is the #26 overall player in the country. The guy is 6'6'', great athlete, can put the ball on the floor, great shooter, etc.. Who cares if he is a juco, I cant think of a team in America that wouldnt want that guy on their team. He didnt have huge offers because he might only have 1 year to play unless he wins an extra year of eligibility for a broken leg that he had and only played in a handfull of games.

They have a top 100 player at point guard and a guy who has been starting for 2-3 years at that position... Lucca Staiger is probably going to be one of the best shooters in the Big 12 this year after he hit 74 treys in his first season. Craig Brackins will be preseason conference player of the year. LaRon Dendy is a 6'9'' athlete who was a top 70 player out of high school but had to go juco.

There is just no reason why this team shouldnt be in the NCAA Tournament. They might have the conference player of the year and the newcomer of the year. They have top 100 talent at all positions plus a big time shooter in Staiger.

Yea, thats why ESPN said he is the #26 overall player in the country. The guy is 6'6'', great athlete, can put the ball on the floor, great shooter, etc.. Who cares if he is a juco, I cant think of a team in America that wouldnt want that guy on their team. He didnt have huge offers because he might only have 1 year to play unless he wins an extra year of eligibility for a broken leg that he had and only played in a handfull of games.

They have a top 100 player at point guard and a guy who has been starting for 2-3 years at that position... Lucca Staiger is probably going to be one of the best shooters in the Big 12 this year after he hit 74 treys in his first season. Craig Brackins will be preseason conference player of the year. LaRon Dendy is a 6'9'' athlete who was a top 70 player out of high school but had to go juco.

There is just no reason why this team shouldnt be in the NCAA Tournament. They might have the conference player of the year and the newcomer of the year. They have top 100 talent at all positions plus a big time shooter in Staiger.

If Iowa State makes the dance, then Mizzou does not. I have heard you say that both are going, so do you think that KState doesn't make it? I think that KState will be the third best team in the conference.

I tend to agree with you that Iowa State will make it this year over Mizzou. I am going to reach a bit and say that the Big 12 gets 7 this year, because I think we will have the best league in the country.

Here are my 7 in order:

KU
UT
KSU
OU
OSU
Baylor
ISU

And before you pimp Colvin too hard. To give us all some perspective, he was maybe the 4th ranked PG that Capel was going after following 1. TMG 2. EJ 3. Dixon 4. Colvin/Walton. He has a chance to be pretty good, but there are much better PG recruits coming into the Big 12.

they also have that transfer from Marquette- Christopherson who was Mr Basketball in Wisconsin. You can understand why he transferred out of Marquette with the logjam that they had at the guard position.

Iowa State could shock some people next year. I know OU, Tech and Baylor are glad they have those cats at home rather than in Ames.

There is just no reason why this team shouldnt be in the NCAA Tournament.QUOTE]

they should be better than the casual fan thinks, and you are absolutely right to highlight the talent on their team, but....

... their guards were horrible last year. ridiculously bad. maybe colvin and christopherson will fix that this year. they'll certainly help. i don't think they'll help enough to make them a tournament team though.

The guards in the Big 12 are terrific this year so their newcomers will have to play at a really high level to reach the tourney.

Back