K-State is going to be tough this season

betterstill

Reaction score
They just beat Iowa in Iowa City. KSU's big girl and Gabby Gregory were too much for the Hawkeyes.

They just beat Iowa in Iowa City. KSU's big girl and Gabby Gregory were too much for the Hawkeyes.

KSU's big girl is going to be tough for everyone. But Iowa either played much worse than usual or was ranked way too high to start the season. Clark shot 9 for 32, just over 25% for the game. She scored 24 points. The next-highest scorer for Iowa had 10 points. No one else on Iowa's team shot more than 6 shots. When Iowa made it to the final game last year, she was hitting everything she threw up. When she's not hitting, they need some offensive balance. They didn't have it last night. It will be interesting to see if they develop some.

https://hawkeyesports.com/boxscore/kansas-state-11-16-2023/

Iowa either played much worse than usual or was ranked way too high to start the season.
https://hawkeyesports.com/boxscore/kansas-state-11-16-2023/

This is hard to gauge at this point in the season for women's college basketball. They showed the preseason top 10 list yesterday after the KSU/Iowa game and EIGHT of the 10 have lost a game already including the pre-season #1 and #2 teams in the country. Iowa was ranked like #6 or #8 to start the season which with Clark coming back that seems about right with the run they made last year. But no, they are not the #2 team in the country.

As for the game.....Clark seemed frustrated from the beginning. She takes a lot of shots any way, but last night it seemed like she took shots just to take shots. Others on her team act like they know she's going to shoot it so why even work to get open. The 3 post players they have were 7/12 combined and after the game Coach Bluder made an interesting comment about needing to get the ball to the 3 of them more and maybe trusting them more than they currently do....

They are working to find a #2 to Clark after their stud center graduated last year. I think Iowa will be fine but KSU showed they could be a force to be reckoned with. KSU missed a LOT of layups early or that game could have been well in hand early on.

Iowa got a LOT of home cooking calls in the 2nd half especially when KSU seemed to start to get a hold on the game allowing Iowa to come back from 7 down to take the lead. KSU held tough and Gregory hit a massive jumper with the shot clock expiring near the end of the game to give KSU a 3 point lead that all but sealed it. Overall, a fun game to watch as a KSU fan but frustrating for Iowa fans.

Remember KSU beat Iowa last year without Lee...84 to 83.
I did not see that game so have no idea what went on. I thought this game was ugly.
well, the first quarter, I did not watch after the first. Doesn't matter if it is ugly if you win. KSU was really good last year and I expect they will be better this year.

This is the only time I have seen either team this year. The announcers were saying both teams were missing shots that they shouldn't. I did not think so. I thought there was a lot of congestion on both ends so maybe not such easy shots.
Like Iowa still needs to gel I felt maybe KSU did too. This is a
different team with Ayoka back so what they need from the players has changed from last year. I was looking for Gabby and had a difficult time finding her. The announcers said that she was having to find her game or what her role was with the return of Ayoka. I really like Gabby, hated that she left OU, but think she found a great home. Anyway. looking forward to playing KSU while at the same time know it is going to be a very tough game for OU.

Oh, yeah, KSU coach had a great game plan for Iowa.

Know you enjoyed.

Oh, the KSU player who scored 10 (I think name was Ayanna, maybe), is she a starter?

Back