Key to beating Utah

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
What iyo is the top key for the Sooners to take down the Utes on the road today?

Mine: Establishing Tiny early and often in the post. Not only will it lead to some potentially easy buckets, but it will also hopefully get their giant into foul trouble, and cause Tiny to to gain confidence on both ends and on the glass.

It's going to sound like a cliche, but defense and rebounding.

harass the crap out of them in the backcourt and try to break even on the boards.

What iyo is the top key for the Sooners to take down the Utes on the road today?

I believe it's going to come down to all-around effort. Primarily defense and rebounding. It's going to be a big game for Utah so they'll be flying around for loose balls, feeding off of the crowd. OU has to match that intensity. If they come out, as they did in Alaska, and simply go through the motions defensively -- they'll have problems beating this Utah squad.

OU relies on the 3pt shot... Willie cant go 0-6 or 0-8 today. OU needs to hit a good percentage of outside shots to beat Utah today.

OU relies on the 3pt shot... Willie cant go 0-6 or 0-8 today. OU needs to hit a good percentage of outside shots to beat Utah today.

This.

And getting stops that allow us to use our speed. I don't suspect we'll do crap inside, unless we get them in foul trouble. That is Utah's advantage. We need to beat them with speed and our guards. We definitely need to play D, b/c I suspect Utah will.

The key to me is rebounding by committee. The Sooners need guys like Cade, Willie, and even TMG to grab some defensive rebounds and to make sure and box their man out. Utah has some size at the guard position, so it will be important to try and limit second chances and easy put-backs (something that was plentiful for OU's opponents in Alaska).

This.

And getting stops that allow us to use our speed. I don't suspect we'll do crap inside, unless we get them in foul trouble. That is Utah's advantage. We need to beat them with speed and our guards. We definitely need to play D, b/c I suspect Utah will.

The key to OU being successful is not being a team based around WW's production. WW can go 0-6 if TMG can go 2-5, Pledger can go 3-6, Crocker can go 3-6, and Cade can go 2-4. If WW goes 0-6 and doesn't stop anyone, we're in more trouble.

This.

I agree with you that playing a slow, halfcout game is playing to Utah's advantage, so we should try and push it often off of defensive rebounds and TOs. But, I still think that Tiny needs to be involved during the times that OU is in a halfcourt set.

Even on the push, TMG and Willie should look for the big fella, and Tiny should bust his hump in order to get a deep, quick post position.

The key to OU being successful is not being a team based around WW's production. WW can go 0-6 if TMG can go 2-5, Pledger can go 3-6, Crocker can go 3-6, and Cade can go 2-4. If WW goes 0-6 and doesn't stop anyone, we're in more trouble.

I thought I might add, that I would rather see WW go to the line 6 to 8 times than throw up 6 to 8 threes.

Even on the push, TMG and Willie should look for the big fella, and Tiny should bust his hump in order to get a deep, quick post position.

On the break, or secondary break, I agree. That is the one way Tiny can use his speed as an advantage. Tiny isn't super-quick getting down the floor always though. I just don't see Tiny being sucessful in the halfcourt, if we're trying to force-feed him the ball. He hasn't shown he can consistently score that way against lesser talent, why would he show up today against much better, larger defenders? If ever there was a day to let Tiny drift away from the hoop, it'd be today, as the PF with Big O or Wright in the game as well. Hard to let him drift when he is the 5, and Tony is playing the 4, b/c Tony needs to be outside as well.

I thought I might add, that I would rather see WW go to the line 6 to 8 times than throw up 6 to 8 threes.

I don't disagree, I'm just not sure Utah will play that undiscipline of defense. Willie needs to take what he gets early, and look to get guys open looks.

My first key is beat them with our speed, but controlled speed. I agree with BT. Tiny needs to show the tall fella on their team that it will be physical all evening long. Establish low post position early and be relentless on the boards. Tiny needs to really apply himself today. With that said. I think WW shows up today and leads by example. I also think that TMG will give his man problems. It's time for TMG to take his improved play on the road. He must limit his turnovers, and keep the defensive improvement going. Tony and Cade will play their roles. I think Tony's rebounding ways will continue. With that said. I think the SOONERS get a big win today 76-69 over the utes today. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

On the break, or secondary break, I agree. That is the one way Tiny can use his speed as an advantage. Tiny isn't super-quick getting down the floor always though. I just don't see Tiny being sucessful in the halfcourt, if we're trying to force-feed him the ball. He hasn't shown he can consistently score that way against lesser talent, why would he show up today against much better, larger defenders? If ever there was a day to let Tiny drift away from the hoop, it'd be today, as the PF with Big O or Wright in the game as well. Hard to let him drift when he is the 5, and Tony is playing the 4, b/c Tony needs to be outside as well.

That is something that he is going to have to get better at and it is all about effort and conditioning. The key is for the guards to reward him for working hard, and they haven't done a good enough job of that this season.

DM kept it short and sweet but hit the nail on the head, Defense and Rebounding. Hopefully our shooting on the road will improve as well.

One of these days, you guys will listen to me. First trip down, inside to Tiny, shot blocked. Pretty much the next two times down, Tiny with the open shots outside.

I should coach.

Back