KSU's Curtis Kelly may be done for the year

Sooner23

Reaction score
http://cjonline.com/sports/basketball/2011-02-08/cats-kelly-under-scrutiny-again

Forward Curtis Kelly remains a member of Kansas State's basketball program while the school investigates a potential violation of department policy.

School officials could not confirm the potential violation, citing student privacy issues.

“Curtis is still a member of our basketball program,” associate athletic director Casey Scott said Tuesday.

Kelly's status for the rest of his senior season remains uncertain, however. The Topeka Capital-Journal has learned the potential violation could result in Kelly's permanent suspension from the team and loss of financial aid, though Kelly has filed an appeal to retain his playing status.

The situation is not believed to involve NCAA rules violations, and no definitive time frame exists for the appeals process. Kelly's availability during the appeal will be determined internally.

K-State's student-athlete handbook provides an outline of the appeals process. According to the handbook's protocol, athletic director John Currie would provide an initial ruling, which then could be appealed to K-State's General Scholarship and Financial Aid Committee.

Attempts to reach Currie and K-State coach Frank Martin were unsuccessful.

Kelly was a preseason All-Big 12 pick, but his senior season has been marked by off-court drama. The 6-foot-8 forward began the season on the bench, missing K-State's first three games for transgressions that were never fully explained.

“I'm just not in the mood to play him the way he's practicing,” Martin said after K-State's season opener.

Kelly then served a six-game suspension for his role in accepting between $300 and $500 in clothing discounts from a Manhattan department store, an incident that also resulted in a three-game suspension for fellow senior Jacob Pullen.

Kelly hasn't been the only source of drama for the Wildcats, who sit at 16-8 and 4-5 in the Big 12 after being picked to win the league in the preseason.

Post players Freddy Asprilla and Wally Judge left the team during a recent two-week stretch, meaning any time without Kelly would leave K-State perilously thin in the post. Center Jordan Henriquez-Roberts and forward Jamar Samuels are the only other big men on scholarship.

Kelly is averaging 9.9 points and 4.9 rebounds in 15 games for the Wildcats this season.

that ship is sinking almost as fast as ours did last year. yikes

this season hasn't been as much fun as i wanted it to be.

this season hasn't been as much fun as i wanted it to be.

Join the club. And to watch Kansas and Texas dominate the league has added to the "fun" for me. Come on Sooners- get it done tonight!

Back