Lower the goal

SoonerNorm

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Geno said he favors lowering the goal in women's basketball.

Thoughts?

That would make women's basketball the laughingstock of the rest of the basketball world.

Curiously, this would hurt his team. His team scores well by passing well. This would diminish that somewhat. I guess that he just wants to be able to dunk himself. Would a seven-foot rim be sufficient?

I really like and respect Geno. But, this is beneath his mental capabilities. Hot buttered rum?

Though not a Geno fan, I have always respected him and his teams. That being said, probably the most ridiculous statement I have heard from him, yeah, let's make women's basketball a laughing stock. Geeeeeezzzzzzzzz!!!!!:facepalm

Geno quite often uses sarcasm to make a point. I'd like to see the context in which he made this statement.

I think the men ought to raise the goal to 12' Then men's basketball would look like it did in the 70's.

Geno quite often uses sarcasm to make a point. I'd like to see the context in which he made this statement.

I think the men ought to raise the goal to 12' Then men's basketball would look like it did in the 70's.

This was my initial reaction as well. After reading a few articles and digging a little it seems he is quite serious.
"What makes fans not want to watch women's basketball is that some of the players can't shoot and they miss layups and that forces the game to slow down," Auriemma said, according to the Hartford Courant.
I personally find that Traberish view obnoxious and do not feel the game needs this kind of fan. A large portion of dudes who follow basketball simply do not enjoy watching the ladies play and that is fine. However, the sport does not need to change for this demographic Imho.

I think Geno's Right! Lower the goals and the layups will go in. That hurts the game when people watching at home on tv see the girls miss a layup--takes away some of the respect of the women's game. The men hardly ever miss a layup. It's more laughable when the women miss it than lower the goal. Most casual observers don't even know the basketball is smaller for the women. Read the article--he is very serious and right about lowering the goal. As he points out they do this in volleyball and softball is played on much smaller field. It was interesting to note he thinks the fan base is down and hasn't grown much over the past 10 years.

I don't think Geno is right, e.g. the change he proposes won't help sell the games.

There will always be more people show up to watch a winner than a loser, I don't care what you sport, boys or girls, you are talking about. But, I think the girls game will always trail the boys game in popularity.

I am embarrassed to say this, but I think the only rule change that would get the majority of men paying to see women's basketball is a rule that girls had to play topless. This is just the world and society we live in.

There are plenty of men, such as myself, that just like basketball played well, either by girls or boys and enjoy watching the competition and game. But, I think I am in the minority.

I don't think Geno is right, e.g. the change he proposes won't help sell the games.

There will always be more people show up to watch a winner than a loser, I don't care what you sport, boys or girls, you are talking about. But, I think the girls game will always trail the boys game in popularity.

I am embarrassed to say this, but I think the only rule change that would get the majority of men paying to see women's basketball is a rule that girls had to play topless. This is just the world and society we live in.

There are plenty of men, such as myself, that just like basketball played well, either by girls or boys and enjoy watching the competition and game. But, I think I am in the minority.

I'll join the minority. I prefer the women's game over the men in basketball and soccer. I like good solid fundamentals. That's just me, I know I am in the minority.

I'll join the minority. I prefer the women's game over the men in basketball and soccer. I like good solid fundamentals. That's just me, I know I am in the minority.

You guys should like Coach Kruger then - very fundamentally based coach. "Old school."

You guys should like Coach Kruger then - very fundamentally based coach. "Old school."

I do like Coach Kruger. I've been a fan of his as far back as his playing days at K-State. I am rooting for him to bring the Sooners back to excellence. I really like what he is doing with the "Lads".

I agree with Geno. A lot more fun and more scoring with the womens' goal set at 9 feet.

can we make geno coach men's basketball already

http://espn.go.com/espnw/8555985/

For clarity, he's suggesting the goal be lowered 7.2 inches, which isn't as much as many people think, but could be enough to make a positive difference in the game. The fact is, the average height for men is much taller than for women. Rebecca Lobo makes some great points in the video linked above, and she given mentions Sherri. I do agree; if this was a woman BB coach, there wouldn't be as much outcry.

Back