Luke Northweather

MFDChief

Reaction score
Luke Northweather, what is the story on him? Injuries, wanting to redshirt, not ready? Just watching his Hudl video and he is a large young man with very sweet stroke from outside and has what seemed to be very usable interior footwork and movement. Level of competition can explain some of that but not that sweet shot he showed. Just curious, if this has been discussed ad nauseam please forgive me, been away from this board for a while.

Luke Northweather, what is the story on him? Injuries, wanting to redshirt, not ready? Just watching his Hudl video and he is a large young man with very sweet stroke from outside and has what seemed to be very usable interior footwork and movement. Level of competition can explain some of that but not that sweet shot he showed. Just curious, if this has been discussed ad nauseam please forgive me, been away from this board for a while.

going to redshirt

As I mentioned in the other thread. What is the wisdom of redshirting him (or anybody)? Save a year of eligibility so he can use it at North Carolina?

As I mentioned in the other thread. What is the wisdom of redshirting him (or anybody)? Save a year of eligibility so he can use it at North Carolina?

I generally agree with you, but in this case, maybe he’s simply not ready to play at this level.

He was a late bloomer in high school. His two P5 offers (Oklahoma and Mizzou) both came in late April 2022. You'd be playing him now, so that he gets experience, but not because he'd make a difference. Imo he definitely needs to add some weight/muscle to his frame to play in this year's Big 12.

He was a late bloomer in high school. His two P5 offers (Oklahoma and Mizzou) both came in late April 2022. You'd be playing him now, so that he gets experience, but not because he'd make a difference. Imo he definitely needs to add some weight/muscle to his frame to play in this year's Big 12.

So does Jacob Groves

I generally agree with you, but in this case, maybe he’s simply not ready to play at this level.

I understand that and until a couple years ago, it could make sense. But in this climate … you’re using a scholarship on someone and the likelihood he will be here for five years is pretty much zero. At this rate, the likelihood Moser will be here in another four years is remote. If he really is so far from being ready to play at this level that you can’t use him at all, then you should have looked to the portal to find a player who could help you now. It would be one thing if we were loaded with good bigs he could learn from and compete against in practice every day, but that’s obviously not the case.

So does Jacob Groves

Both Groves brothers are not athletic enough to play the positions they play in the Big 12 - unless they shoot the 3 at a very high level. So far they have not.

TGroves is 30% from 3 and JGroves is 39% - which is not bad if you can do a bunch of other things - rebound, defend, score of the dribble - but he doesn't do those things well.

Then add GS, who is a nice player, but again not athletic or long. Uzan and Hill are really the only athletes who match up in our starting 5.

The mismatch of athlete was on full display last night.

I am with the play him now crowd. The rebounding is so poor there is no way he couldn't help this team in some way and it would give him some experience for the future. With the portal there is no way to predict whether a kid will be here four years or not. I am not suggesting starter minutes but enough to get him some seasoning for next year. This team is a few rebounds away from being a pretty sure bet for the tournament. But I am not a coach and I dont see him every day in practice so there's that.

Both Groves brothers are not athletic enough to play the positions they play in the Big 12 - unless they shoot the 3 at a very high level. So far they have not.

TGroves is 30% from 3 and JGroves is 39% - which is not bad if you can do a bunch of other things - rebound, defend, score of the dribble - but he doesn't do those things well.

Then add GS, who is a nice player, but again not athletic or long. Uzan and Hill are really the only athletes who match up in our starting 5.

The mismatch of athlete was on full display last night.

TGroves is around 36% for his career. For whatever reason he has regressed this season. If he was where he was last year we have several more wins

With the transfer portal, there is no wisdom in redshirting anyone.

If Luke and Yaya can contribute next year that is alot of beef inside. How many times have we watched 6-9 240 guys eat OU up. Of course they had talent, dont know about Yaya.

All the experts on here said he was better than Manek. Lmao! Every year the excitement about the new guys is hilarious and predictable. By December reality sets in and it’s gloom and doom for a few months but then the hype begins for the next set of newcomers. Can’t wait for it to begin again.

All the experts on here said he was better than Manek. Lmao! Every year the excitement about the new guys is hilarious and predictable. By December reality sets in and it’s gloom and doom for a few months but then the hype begins for the next set of newcomers. Can’t wait for it to begin again.

yep...pretty accurate

I honestly have no recollection of anyone ever saying Tanner was better than Brady. Certainly not "all the experts." If one or two people said it, they were outliers.

And just as reliable as some fans getting a bit too excited at the beginning of each season are the other fans who carp about them repeatedly, year after year. Personally, I find the latter group much more annoying.

I honestly have no recollection of anyone ever saying Tanner was better than Brady. Certainly not "all the experts." If one or two people said it, they were outliers.

And just as reliable as some fans getting a bit too excited at the beginning of each season are the other fans who carp about them repeatedly, year after year. Personally, I find the latter group much more annoying.

Small correction, I think he was referring to Northweather, not Tanner Groves

Small correction, I think he was referring to Northweather, not Tanner Groves

Thanks. I was trying to decide which he meant. But my statement stands--I never saw anyone say Northweather was going to be better than Manek, either.

Back