MacArthur's Scott ready for Denton GASO

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Source Link

Four-star point guard Rickey Scott has a message for all players competing in this weekend's prestigious Reebok Denton Great American Shoot-Out for the first time.

"It's crazy. You'll get nervous and excited at the same time," Scott said. "But you know it's going to be a great opportunity for you."

Players like Scott, an incoming senior at Irving MacArthur, know how much a tournament like the 311-team Denton GASO can benefit a rising basketball player. More than 350 college coaches and scouts will be in attendance, as the start of this week marked the beginning of the NCAA open period for recruiting.

Scott, already a highly touted recruit, will try to boost his stock playing with the IAD Full Court Athletes-Ross, a team that also includes rising stars Reggie Sonnier and Chris Udofia, among others. IAD FCA will open the four-day tournament with a pool-play game Friday against the New Mexico-based Granger Hurricanes 17 Elite.

"It's good because you get to go against some of the best in the nation," Scott said of the Denton GASO, which has teams from all over Texas and several other states as far as Kansas, Colorado and Missouri. "You get to show what you can do, and you get to show the colleges, too."

Scott, since the start of the summer, has been fortunate to add UCLA, Alabama and Auburn to his long list of the colleges interested in him. Other schools interested include Arizona, Marquette and Memphis, along with almost all of the Big 12 universities. The 6-foot-3, 195-pounder already has been offered a scholarship by more than half the interested schools.

"There was one time when I never thought anyone would be calling me," Scott said. "But it seems like in a three-week span, I blew up. It's a great feeling."

The school that lands Scott will get a player who produced quality numbers all around as a junior. He averaged 18.4 points, 6.9 rebounds, 5.1 assists and 2.1 steals per game and ranked either first or second in every category for a MacArthur team that finished 20-12 last season.

That school could be in Denton this weekend – and Scott knows to keep his game face on for them.

"My team is ready," he said. "We've been practicing almost every day, and practices have been more and more competitive. It's been a lot of fun."

311 teams. jfc.

Yeah I know. What sucks is that it doesn't appear that Team Texas or Houston Hoops is going to be playing. That means no Cam Clark, Phil Pressey, Alex Kirk, J'Mychael Reese, and Jackson Jeffcoat....

Here is the info for the tournament this Friday and Saturday. Might be fun to attend if you are close to the Denton area as there will be a lot of good players in attendance.

Info

Ahhhh the old Great American Shootout.

That was a fun tourney and being on a team that was the number 1 team in the entire tourney was fun too. That meant we played all but one game in the super pit. I think that is what that gym was called. That was big because I chipped my elbow diving on the floor of their PE Gyms because they are tile and seriously hurt. That is what us little unathletic guys had to do haha.

I went back a few years later to watch a friend of mine's team play. I didn't realize how much it cost to get in. It was 11 dollars for one day, DAMN>

Back