MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

You're just stubborn. I get it. We all get it. You hate Porter Moser. I think he's a good coach. I just don't think anyone we bring in would do better with what he has available.

There's a reason EVERY SINGLE COACH we've had in the past 30 years has asked for more.
do tell..why?

Mostly because people I know who know basketball better than I know basketball have told me so.
lol...they actually tell you WHY? or just he's a good coach? I'm no expert but have coached, just HS, but basketball isn't rocket science.

Recruiting - 5/10
Offense - 6/10 (not really sure what if any offensive scheme we run...def don't see a ton of sets)
Def - 6/10 (pressing in the last 2 min down 20+ while not doing anything before is just stupid)

so, what EXACTLY makes him a good coach?

lol...they actually tell you WHY? or just he's a good coach? I'm no expert but have coached, just HS, but basketball isn't rocket science.

Recruiting - 5/10
Offense - 6/10 (not really sure what if any offensive scheme we run...def don't see a ton of sets)
Def - 6/10 (pressing in the last 2 min down 20+ while not doing anything before is just stupid)

so, what EXACTLY makes him a good coach?
He gets paid millions of dollars a year to do it.
So by logic, he is pretty good at it or is really good at fooling people

Added this to answer StoopsBrothersInc on the other board, here is my look at the roster shakeup from year to year. Green means better, Red means not better, and yellow means meh bout the same.

View attachment 1210

This is a year-to-year comparison. So all green just means we did better than the previous year. 2023 hurt us.
wow...
what I noticed is we had 3 guys roll over from '23 to '24 and will have 3 guys roll over (if Moore stays) from '24 to '25. Sad

Also a look at our revolving door during the offseason:

2021​
2022​
2023​
2024​
De'Vion HarmonPortalJordan GoldwireGradMilos UzanStayedMilos UzanPortal
Umoja GibsonStayedUmoja GibsonPortalGrant SherfieldGradJavian McCollumPortal
Austin ReavesGradElijah HarklessPortalJacob GrovesPortalRivaldo SoaresGrad
Brady ManekPortalJalen HillStayedJalen HillPortalJalon MooreStayed
Kur KuathPortalTanner GrovesStayedTanner GrovesGradSam GodwinStayed
Elijah HarklessPortalJacob GrovesStayedOtega OwehStayedOtega OwehPortal
Alondes WilliamsPortalCJ NolandStayedCJ NolandPortalLe'Tre DarthardGrad
Jalen HillStayedEthan ChargoisGradSam GodwinStayedJohn Hugley IVPortal
Victor IwuakorPortalMarvin JohnsonGradJoe BamisilePortalLuke NorthweatherStayed
Trey PhippsPortalBijan CortesStayedBijan CortesPortalMaks KlanjscekGrad

View attachment 1211
*Top-10 statistical roster spots

These hurt to see...returning from the starting 5, is not a good look. 2 portaling from your starting 5 every year.
Thank you for all of the work you do to keep us informed. Really appreciate you and @StoopsBros.

He gets paid millions of dollars a year to do it.
So by logic, he is pretty good at it or is really good at fooling people
This is a bad argument.

We're comparing him to his peers, not to trash collectors and fast food restaurant managers.

Mostly because people I know who know basketball better than I know basketball have told me so

The reality is that “good coach” is subjective and on a really really large spectrum. Is the 2A high school coach who wins a state title a good coach? Absolutely. But is that dude good enough for college? Probably not. Is Moser a good coach because he’s gone to the Final Four? Yes. But is he good enough to consistently win at that level in the Big 12/SEC. Objectively no. Nobody can argue that he has been good enough for OU standards.

I think the discussions about Moser now need to be centered around is he good enough to right the ship. Which is funny cause it’s the ship he screwed up. Many of us look at the results from the last three years and say no. I have yet to read a convincing argument in favor of Moser getting another crack at it.

Also a look at our revolving door during the offseason:

2021​
2022​
2023​
2024​
De'Vion HarmonPortalJordan GoldwireGradMilos UzanStayedMilos UzanPortal
Umoja GibsonStayedUmoja GibsonPortalGrant SherfieldGradJavian McCollumPortal
Austin ReavesGradElijah HarklessPortalJacob GrovesPortalRivaldo SoaresGrad
Brady ManekPortalJalen HillStayedJalen HillPortalJalon MooreStayed
Kur KuathPortalTanner GrovesStayedTanner GrovesGradSam GodwinStayed
Elijah HarklessPortalJacob GrovesStayedOtega OwehStayedOtega OwehPortal
Alondes WilliamsPortalCJ NolandStayedCJ NolandPortalLe'Tre DarthardGrad
Jalen HillStayedEthan ChargoisGradSam GodwinStayedJohn Hugley IVPortal
Victor IwuakorPortalMarvin JohnsonGradJoe BamisilePortalLuke NorthweatherStayed
Trey PhippsPortalBijan CortesStayedBijan CortesPortalMaks KlanjscekGrad

View attachment 1211
*Top-10 statistical roster spots

These hurt to see...returning from the starting 5, is not a good look. 2 portaling from your starting 5 every year.
And how many of those improved after leaving OU? Other the Williams, none of them did anything elsewhere

This is a bad argument.

We're comparing him to his peers, not to trash collectors and fast food restaurant managers.
If trash collectors failed at their jobs for three years in a row they would be fired and the trash company would find a better candidate. If you went to a fast food restaurant and got the wrong order three times you would probably not go back. Meanwhile Moser can fail three times and get another chance. He’s got the best job in the world.

And how many of those improved after leaving OU? Other the Williams, none of them did anything elsewhere
Depends what you mean by "anything" I guess.

Noland averaged 11ppg and shot nearly 39% from three.

Joe Bam played a lot better this year than he ever did at OU.

Minimal increase in stats, but Hill was having his best season before his injury.

J. Groves had a better season than he did at OU.

Nobody turned into Jordan, but a lot of the guys that weren't just awful did at least a little better. Most shot better.

Depends what you mean by "anything" I guess.

Noland averaged 11ppg and shot nearly 39% from three.

Joe Bam played a lot better this year than he ever did at OU.

Minimal increase in stats, but Hill was having his best season before his injury.

J. Groves had a better season than he did at OU.

Nobody turned into Jordan, but a lot of the guys that weren't just awful did at least a little better. Most shot better.

Now discount all of their stats significantly due to weak SOS.

Back