Memories flooded back while in NM for holidays

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
My holiday visit to New Mexico with my mom conjured up some OU-UNM memories in women's basketball the last 20-plus years. The local TV stations have had lots of coverage of their current team. And visiting the Pit for a men's game last Friday night reminded me of a somewhat long-ago game involving the "Lady Lobos" and the last pre-Coale OU team.

That game saw a hideous, undisciplined showing by the OU women, who had superior athleticism but low basketball IQ. The UNM women won by about 11, and I was appalled. It was the first year for local high school coaching legend Don Flanagan at the UNM helm.

That OU team failed to even have a winning season, but it sure got the locals cranked up about their team that season. Albuquerque is also kind of fickle about its coaches, and having a "local" like Flanagan really got them jacked. It got to the point of ridiculous between that point in time and the next time they'd see the OU women's team on the court at the Pit. People thought it acceptable to "hype" the women's team by not only badmouthing the UNM men's team (which was on a good roll at the time) but also the men's game in general.

It got so absurd among the "women's only" faction of the Lobo fan base that some of them started claiming the "Lady Lobos (their unofficial name - it's actually officially just the Lobos) could whip the Lobo men's team. If you ever saw a Lobo power forward named Kenny Thomas ('96-99) play, you'd know better. But I digress.

Fast forward to the fall of 2005. UNM's fan base was jacked when it got to see OU - with the Paris twins and the excellent group of upper classmen like Leah Rush and Erin Higgins, on the schedule. They actually got two shots at OU, both at the Pit. The first was in the WNIT in mid-November. The locals even brought out local broadcasting legend Mike Roberts (ABQ's version of Bob Barry Sr.) to handle the play-by-play. OU jumped on them something like 18-3 and pretty much cruised to an 11-point win. It was a 17-point game when Sherri cleared the bench, and they only got within 11 because of that.

Inexplicably, the locals thought it was a fluke, and even some of their players talked a big game going into the Dec. 30 rematch. I had to miss it due to illness, but my folks actually came out to see it with tickets bought through OU. I was too ill to even stay awake for the radio broadcast, but I woke up in time to hear them come out of the final media timeout. OU was up 83-58, and I almost fell off the couch laughing like a bronchitis-afflicted loon. UNM once again benefitted from Sherri's refusal to run it up, and they got back to within 13 at the end. But once again, our ladies popped their "we're big-time" bubble.

The hat trick occurred the next year. Even without Albuquerque native Beky Preston back to help with the inside game, Courtney Paris put on a show for the ages in another OU rout of UNM. That was her 43-point game at the Myriad, and once again OU won big. As I recall, it was a 24-point win, but I'm just going from memory.

We did have two lackluster wins over them a few years later, by three in Norman (a total shocker to me) and by two in the Pit in November of 2011 (I did make that one). The blowout win this year moved Sherri's record against UNM to 6-0.

A lot has changed with their program (on their third coach), and I think with expectations. I just couldn't help but remember those "early days" when they started getting into the women's game - but inexplicably at the expense of their own men's team. I'm SO glad that OU doesn't have that kind of fractured fan base.

Who was OU coach of the first game you saw against UNM?

Who was OU coach of the first game you saw against UNM?

That was Burl Plunkett, who retired after the season.

Other than maybe the 2003 season, when OU was an NCAA tournament team but severely hampered by injuries (Caton Hill, for one), they haven't been on OU's level since Sherri started winning at a high clip. Their 2003 team at UNM was gift-wrapped a chance to play in the Final Four without ever leaving Albuquerque, but Texas Tech beat them like a drum in the Sweet 16 at the Pit.

It's always been obvious to honest-thinking OU fans that the local media favors OSU when it comes to true affection for a program. The media in Albuquerque is notoriously soft on NMSU, whose major media attention comes more from El Paso anyway; but the blatant double-standard regarding how the men's basketball team was treated compared to the women was even obvious to players in both programs. It'd be interesting to see what OU employees and married ex-UNM basketball players Kevin Henry and Aiyana Nash-Henry recall about it. I do remember that one of the upperclassmen from her era was interviewed in an alumni association magazine, and she admitted she felt bad for the men when they'd get crucified for off-nights and they wouldn't.

Why would the fans be more supportive of NMState? It has about half as many students and half the endowment.

The OU/OSU thing may be urban/rural. The OU fans seem to be from OKC, Tulsa, or DFW. The outlying towns seem to favor OSU, although a lot went to the directional state schools.

The media in Albuquerque is soft on NMSU. They almost never recruit in-state in most sports but there’s hell to pay if UNM doesn’t.

Many locals in ABQ are Lobo fans first but suffer from a strange notion that they should root for the Aggies because they’re “from “New Mexico.” But they rarely recruit head to head so it’s not too much like Bedlam.

The media in Albuquerque is soft on NMSU. They almost never recruit in-state in most sports but there’s hell to pay if UNM doesn’t.

Many locals in ABQ are Lobo fans first but suffer from a strange notion that they should root for the Aggies because they’re “from “New Mexico.” But they rarely recruit head to head so it’s not too much like Bedlam.
I'm not convinced that we recruit that much against OSU. It is like we look on different planets for athletes. In football, we seem to be going against A&M, Texas, or even USC more than against Stillwater. I don't remember a great number of decisions in any sport that came down to OU/OSU.

Dunno about basketball but OU recruits against OSU a lot in football

Back