Moore to offer

bluesooner17

Reaction score
Moore’s Aaliyah Moore named girls player of the year

By Joe Buettner
Transcript Sports Writer

Aaliyah Moore’s game has become increasingly difficult to describe over the years.

The 6-foot-3 junior has built a skill set beyond that of a traditional forward.

“I think our game has become so position less in the last decade,” Moore coach Brent Hodges said. “You see it as a trend in all of basketball and

that’s the thing, she’s kind of a position less player.”

The towering Moore can post up and make plays at the rim. But she can also bring the ball up the floor, find her teammates and let them score. She can serve as a rim protector but athletic enough to play various roles on defense.

Her versatility is a luxury for the Moore Lions, a program that made the state tournament for the first time since 1998 this past season with Aaliyah as its catalyst. And for her stellar junior campaign, Aaliyah Moore is The Transcript’s Girls Basketball Player of the Year.

The junior, who averaged 21.7 points and 11.1 rebounds, didn’t get the chance to finish her latest season with the corona virus pandemic forcing the OSSAA to cancel the Class 6A state basketball tournament.

Moore led the Lions on an incredible ride, however, which included a top-five ranking to finish the regular season, a 21-5 record, an area-round championship win and the John Nobles Invitational title.

Moore was already a rising star as a sophomore, emerging as one of the top high school basketball recruits in her graduating class.

And she’s only further bolstered her talent.

“She’s a kid that’s always looking to improve ... I think that’s been instilled in her by her by her mom,” Hodges said, “of ‘hey, you’re you’re you’re not a complete player yet. You’re a great player, but you know, your work’s not finished.’” Moore’s work ethic to secure a more well rounded game has helped her evolve into one of the nation’s best players. And she showed that several times on huge stages.

Moore got the best of Bishop Miege’s Payton Verhulst in the Lions’ home tournament, scoring 38 points in an 82-68 win on Jan. 24. Moore and Verhulst, who is committed to Louisville, are top-10 prospects nationally, according to ESPN.com.

A few weeks later, the Lions lost to Norman High 61-58 in a back-and-forth tilt. Moore still managed to score 42 points against 6A’s top-ranked Tigers.

Moore then put up 24 points to help the Lions punch their state tournament ticket against Choctaw in a 6A are around final. Her success has been an enjoyable experience for Hodges, who knew the hometown star before she was in high school.

Moore’s big-time recruiting profile hasn’t quite sunk in for her coach yet. He says she’s unchanged by myriad scholarship offers, which include the likes of Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee and many others.

She’s a still a down-to earth student with one year left in high school.

“It’s been really special to see just how she’s grown as a person,” Hodges said. “And it’ll probably sink in more after she graduates and goes to

the next level. And I know she’s gonna have a ton of success there, wherever she goes.”

Last edited:
She doesn’t even consider OU to be a high profile school.... clearly the program is no longer elite, oU must land Talia or Jersey at this point...

Does any highly rated recruit consider OU a high profile program any more? Coale has let it slip to mediocrity.

Coale is going to leave the program in worse shape than she found it

Bingo!!! Burl Pluckett was 52-36 & 22-20 his 3 years preceding Sherri. Sherri has her work cut out to turn things around to were they were when she arrived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_Sooners_women's_basketball

what an incredibly sad day to be a sooner. This was, I believe, our last shot of turning the program around within the next couple of seasons. Unless we can sign some other very talented Big and taller guard to go alongside that Big, we might be sitting at the bottom of the Big 12 for some time coming. My only hope is that we aren't too horrible up until the point where SC retires and upon retiring we can bring in Jackson, or someone similar as the head coach. Here's to another couple very long seasons ahead of us..

Not going to be much of a turn around..at best things will remain about the same. The Coales are lucky that the ones in charge at OU couldn't name three of the women coaches.
Austin, TX will echo with laughter (you remember laughter?) Maybe when OU women basketball gets no coverage on tv Joe and the boys will do something

It is going to get worse and really bad before it gets better. She was whipped for a recruit in Cleveland County. Schaefer is going to destroy Sherri Coale. Maybe losing to Texas by 50 a couple of times will send her out the door.

It is going to get worse and really bad before it gets better. She was whipped for a recruit in Cleveland County. Schaefer is going to destroy Sherri Coale. Maybe losing to Texas by 50 a couple of times will send her out the door.

I cannot fathom it being any worse than it has been the last two seasons. Guarantee if she has another single-digit win season she will be terminated immediately. At this point I think regardless of who she pursues recruiting wise she can't get them to commit because of how mediocre to bad the program has been the last 5 years. What a conundrum. The only thing I can see fixing it is terminating her and bringing in some new blood.

I cannot fathom it being any worse than it has been the last two seasons. Guarantee if she has another single-digit win season she will be terminated immediately. At this point I think regardless of who she pursues recruiting wise she can't get them to commit because of how mediocre to bad the program has been the last 5 years. What a conundrum. The only thing I can see fixing it is terminating her and bringing in some new blood.

Man, I so wish I could post Trump's "Wrong" gif.

Coale has a lifelong contract. As long as she wants to coach at OU, she will. Joe C has not shown one iota of giving a crap about the women's basketball program in 5 years.

Thats her decision. I can never root for her. I want Texas to lose every game at all sports. A girl from Moore going to Texas. This does not look good for Coale. :fexas-logo:

Stages of a declining program....

1. Unwillingness to spend the time/energy in recruiting
2. Ride the wave of past success for as long as possible
3. Replace all assistant coaches
4. Replace the head coach.

OU is between Stages 3 and 4.....Let's hope Stage 4 is sooner than later. There is no one that has any confidence the program is going to improve.

It's going to tick people off when Coale gets an administrative job at OU but for basketball sake, the sooner the better.

She did great things for OU women's basketball but it's past time to move on and if she doesn't do, it should be done for her.

Back