Nicole Mendes to Miss Season with ACL Injury

Someone that heard Patty on the radio said that it wasn't an ACL. They said it was a meniscus and she would be out until March.

A favorite. I would rather she sit out the entire year. I would love to see what she is capable of.

Talked to Paige Parker and the staff feels that Nicole can be ready for spring ball because of her normal intense conditioning. I hope that is true.

I'd be the last person to count Nicole out for the season.

Based on a projected return date of early March for Nicole she probably has a meniscus tear which has a normal recovery time of 12-14 weeks. On the other hand an ACL recovery time normally is 6-9 months per the attached article.

https://www.hss.edu/conditions_knee-arthroscopy-acl-meniscal-other-problems.asp

The original article said ACL tear. Then, someone posted that it was a meniscus, not an ACL. Finally, someone posted it was an ACL without any caritlege damage, which has a shorter recovery time. Who knows what it really is!

I listened to Coach Gasso's interview with Chris Plank, where she clarifies that it was an ACL tear but luckily, there was no damage to her meniscus, so the recovery time should be faster.

She also said that a redshirt year isn't really an option for Nicole because "they need her now and she knows that." Beyond that, Nicole has already made the Mexican Olympic team, so she also wants to be healthy to play in Tokyo.

Patty expects she will be able to play in March.

If I wanted to play in Tokyo, I might want to concentrate on rehab and improving my softball and not playing this season. HOWEVER, I imagine she will play this season.

JUST OUT of curiosity, how does she qualify for the Mexican tteam. I am sure it is above board but do not know if she has dual citizenship or there is another way.

Last edited:
If I wanted to play in Tokyo, I might want to concentrate on rehab and improving my softball and not playing this season. HOWEVER, I imagine she will play this season.

JUST OUT of curiosity, how does she qualify for the Mexican tteam. I am sure it is above board but do not know if she has dual citizenship or there is another way.

I think I remember reading that she has dual citizenship.

Back