Official Practice Starts Today

notaburner

Reaction score
Happy first day of official practice to all that celebrate!

I should have some notes over the next few weeks or so. Since the start of school, they have been able to run two practices a week. Now it has increased to five a week.

- Deep deep shooting team, and seeing who develops as the go-to guy over the season will be interesting. Could see rotations up to 12 early in the year.
- If you can find Sam Godwin over 1.5 threes, take the over.
- Kuol Atak will most likely redshirt, needs time to put on some weight as expected. His shot is just so impressive for his size.
- Outside of Sam, Jalon & Kobe the other two starting spots will take time to solidify. Don't even think there is an educated guess I could make at the moment.

Were there any playing time promises made to Fears?

Happy first day of official practice to all that celebrate!

I should have some notes over the next few weeks or so. Since the start of school, they have been able to run two practices a week. Now it has increased to five a week.

- Deep deep shooting team, and seeing who develops as the go-to guy over the season will be interesting. Could see rotations up to 12 early in the year.
- If you can find Sam Godwin over 1.5 threes, take the over.
- Kuol Atak will most likely redshirt, needs time to put on some weight as expected. His shot is just so impressive for his size.
- Outside of Sam, Jalon & Kobe the other two starting spots will take time to solidify. Don't even think there is an educated guess I could make at the moment.
Look forward to your reports!

Still can't believe that in this day and age, we are recruiting guys we apparently realize will have to redshirt. I mean, what are the odds that either Atak or Moser will be in Norman for the '28-'29 season?

Look forward to your reports!

Still can't believe that in this day and age, we are recruiting guys we apparently realize will have to redshirt. I mean, what are the odds that either Atak or Moser will be in Norman for the '28-'29 season?
It’s a worthwhile question for sure. But in Atak’s case he is definitely worth the take. His shooting ability will translate, and at some point you have to decide if it’s worth 5 mins a game or having a really good option up to 4 years.

FWIW I don’t think it’s decided either way. Only making a guess.

We better save that 5th year of eligibility in case St. Louis or Houston needs it.

It’s a worthwhile question for sure. But in Atak’s case he is definitely worth the take. His shooting ability will translate, and at some point you have to decide if it’s worth 5 mins a game or having a really good option up to 4 years.

FWIW I don’t think it’s decided either way. Only making a guess.
I agree he is worth taking, I just don't think redshirting makes any sense. The only scenario in which it will help OU is if he stays in Norman for five years. If he transfers, the redshirt will benefit whichever school he finishes with. I would rather play him in the 7 games we play against a collection of barely-warm corpses and at least get him experience playing in college games. Unless the player himself is adamant that he wants to save a year of eligibility, I don't see how it could hurt to throw him into those games.

I agree he is worth taking, I just don't think redshirting makes any sense. The only scenario in which it will help OU is if he stays in Norman for five years. If he transfers, the redshirt will benefit whichever school he finishes with. I would rather play him in the 7 games we play against a collection of barely-warm corpses and at least get him experience playing in college games. Unless the player himself is adamant that he wants to save a year of eligibility, I don't see how it could hurt to throw him into those games.
Probably should never be a coach telling a player to redshirt. But if a player asks too, and will see little to no court time, then I would allow it.

I'm sure we will be getting lots of in-depth practice coverage from the beat writers in between their breathless reports of Venables running stadium stairs and talking about what a great job he did on College Gameday.

Kidding aside, the absence of media coverage makes the reports from anyone on the board very valuable and much appreciated. Thanks to all who contribute!

If he doesn’t get to play. Then redshirting doesn’t matter ncaa determines the redshirt.

If he isn’t a pro and waits his turn redshirting absolutely makes sense. Chances are guys aren’t staying 5 years but some dudes are different. Why punish the kid if he wants a 5th year at UCA or temple or duke or Houston.

But then again. Bi+ching to B is expected. Who cares about the actual kid.

If he doesn’t get to play. Then redshirting doesn’t matter ncaa determines the redshirt.

If he isn’t a pro and waits his turn redshirting absolutely makes sense. Chances are guys aren’t staying 5 years but some dudes are different. Why punish the kid if he wants a 5th year at UCA or temple or duke or Houston.

WTF are you talking about? I asked a question/made a point that probably 90 percent of people agree with in the portal era, and you appear to be disagreeing simply because you don't like me. I'd say you are the one bitching just for the sake of bitching.

As for not caring about the "actual kid," spare me the sanctimony. Most of the people on this board praise every player on our team until the second they leave, then immediately proceed to tell us we shouldn't be worried about losing so-and-so because they weren't any good. My question has nothing to do with Atak and everything to do with Moser's recruiting and redshirting philosophy. I'll tell you what, if one kid who redshirts ends up sticking around and helping our program in year five, I will pat Porter on the back and never question his wisdom on this.

In the year 2024 they're all pros.

Lusk just posted what he claims to be in depth notes. Anyone care to summarize?

Can someone please elaborate on this? I cancelled OUI
I’ll try and summarize it best I can:

- Jeremiah Fears is looking good and Lusk says he thinks Fears is going to start at PG
- Elvis looks good but he’s acting like Elvis and Miles won’t be able to do much when there’s no ball screen
- Elvis and Miles battling for the two guard spot
- Goodine had an amazing summer and Jacolb Cole is coming on
- Jadon Jones and Goodine in contention for the three spot
- Cole can’t shoot well but does a lot of good
- Predicts 11-13 for Moore
- Luke Northweather is needed
- Marquette and Kansas State secret scrimmages
He didn’t really say much about Dayton

WTF are you talking about? I asked a question/made a point that probably 90 percent of people agree with in the portal era, and you appear to be disagreeing simply because you don't like me. I'd say you are the one bitching just for the sake of bitching.

As for not caring about the "actual kid," spare me the sanctimony. Most of the people on this board praise every player on our team until the second they leave, then immediately proceed to tell us we shouldn't be worried about losing so-and-so because they weren't any good. My question has nothing to do with Atak and everything to do with Moser's recruiting and redshirting philosophy. I'll tell you what, if one kid who redshirts ends up sticking around and helping our program in year five, I will pat Porter on the back and never question his wisdom on this.
🤡🤡. You’re something else. Must be a sad individual that stuck living in a dump.

Back