OU athletes on Sports Illustrated covers

TulsaWorld

Reaction score
I did a gallery on SI covers featuring OU athletes. Admittedly it's mostly football, but with Blake, Courtesy and Buddy there were a few from basketball as well: Link

I worry that I may have left some out from earlier basketball seasons, so was wondering if you all can remember any from before the 2000s. Thanks!

Those are GREAT! It does seem like there were some others, but it would be a challenge to assemble 100% of the OU SI covers.

Some of those are classics (e.g., the April 1957 cover with OU wrestler Dan Hodge; all the OU fans wearing hats to the game in 1954, etc.).

Thanks much for posting that Tulsa!

If you look at the cover, it says 12/xx/2000 and to display until 2/xx/2001

I need sharper eyes --- Dec 13, 2000 is the correct date. Gallery should update shortly. Thanks!

Perhaps the most important one is not shown because he wasn’t a “present” Sooner. Back in the summer of 2001, they put Bob Kalsu on the cover. If u haven’t read the article accompanying it, I would suggest u find it.

Another great one was in 1979 when the once hapless Tampa Bay Buccaneers were briefly on top of the football world. Although Lee Roy Selmon won NFL Defensive Player of the Year, it was his teammate and brother who made the cover after they beat the Rams to go 5-0. The headline was: "Tampa Bay. Unbeaten, Untied and Unbelievable." Under that caption was: "Dewey Selmon Batters the Rams!"

I believe I have a couple of the 80's era I need to look

Back