OU Basketball Fans Who Want TOP DAUG Back!

SoonerGirl21

Reaction score
As a member of the Problems & Project's Committee in UOSA Student Congress, I brought attention to how OU basketball fans would love to have Top Daug back in addition to the horses, Boomer & Sooner. The committee agreed this is a project to be worked on for the semester and I will be the lead on it. So, as a dedicated and loyal OU Basketball fan: I PROMISE to work as hard and diligent as I can to get the beloved furry canine back to the LNC. There has not been a game I have attended in the LNC in the past two years where numerous students/Capelables have mentioned wanting Top Daug back and sharing memories of him.

So what I need is support from any OU basketball fan there is. There is a Facebook group already started and you can find it by searching for "OU Basketball Fans Who Want TOP DAUG Back!". And any stories/memories/pictures that are Top Daug related will be much appreciated and used to win the case. A resolution/bill will be written soon and congress will support this all the way. I am also hoping to do some surveys amongst OU students and basketball fans at games to see their response! I will keep you all updated as progress is made and then we can all enjoy Top Daug at basketball games again! Boomer Sooner!

topdaug.jpg

Pm me. I'd love to help in anyway I can, even though Im no longer a student.

Here is the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=295825826029&ref=ts

The two creators of the group are both very passionate about OU basketball and members of UOSA - Student Congress. IMO, this is our last chance to make this happen, so be annoying and invite all of your friends to join the group via the group invite on facebook.

IF we can get enough interest (from students especially) then there is a chance that this could happen.

I will cite Arkansas as a reason that I am slightly optimistic. I made the trip to the Bud last year and they have 5 mascots running around that place! No reason that OU couldn't have 3 (Boomer, Sooner, and Top Daug). That would be the best of both worlds (the unified mascots plus the traditional OU bball mascot).

Be proactive and let's make this happen....

I hate to the the lone dissenter here but Im good with Boomer and Sooner. Top Daug had his place in history and I think he did a great job, but IMO wouldn't it be weird if we had 3 mascots at the game, one of them being a dog? I cant remember the name, but OU football used to have mascot they dont have anymore, It was either for PC reasons or they realized it wasn't working. Dont remember exactly why...maybe someone can help me out here. Either way my point is mascots come and go and Top Daug is gone. I feel we should keep it that way.

I hate to the the lone dissenter here but Im good with Boomer and Sooner. Top Daug had his place in history and I think he did a great job, but IMO wouldn't it be weird if we had 3 mascots at the game, one of them being a dog? I cant remember the name, but OU football used to have mascot they dont have anymore, It was either for PC reasons or they realized it wasn't working. Dont remember exactly why...maybe someone can help me out here. Either way my point is mascots come and go and Top Daug is gone. I feel we should keep it that way.

You're probably thinking of Little Red and he's gone for PC reasons, not because it wasn't working. I'm not sure there were even any protests from local Native Americans. I'm not sure if he was ever used at basketball games.

When people saw him in the video this weekend there was a positive reaction from the crowd. The best approach might be to try to get Top Daug back for special occasions rather than have him at every game. Boomer & Sooner have vastly improved since they first appeared and the little kids really like them. Trying to replace them would be the wrong approach.

You're probably thinking of Little Red and he's gone for PC reasons, not because it wasn't working. I'm not sure there were even any protests from local Native Americans. I'm not sure if he was ever used at basketball games.

When people saw him in the video this weekend there was a positive reaction from the crowd. The best approach might be to try to get Top Daug back for special occasions rather than have him at every game. Boomer & Sooner have vastly improved since they first appeared and the little kids really like them. Trying to replace them would be the wrong approach.

I knew it was something like that. Thanks! I like the special occasions idea. My dad and I were sitting at the game and we started talking about how much better Boomer and Sooner have become since their inception. I used to not like them but they really have become more kid friendly and entertaining for everyone of all ages.

I don't do facebook, but IMO Top Daug blows Boomer and Sooner away.

I would love to have him back, even if it is only for one game each year. It made it even more special when he came to the game 2 years ago and surprised everybody. I would be happy with having him do that once a year. The A&M game this year would be a great time.

Boomer & Sooner aren't going anywhere, as the University as too much invested in them at this point. However I fully agree that TD could be integrated into our game day experience in some way. I just joined up. Thanks!

Put me in the corner as someone that doesn't care. I don't need a mascot to get me pumped up, and if I did, it wouldn't matter if it were a dog or a horse pig jumping around.

Put me in the corner as someone that doesn't care. I don't need a mascot to get me pumped up, and if I did, it wouldn't matter if it were a dog or a horse pig jumping around.
It's for the kids. Most small children are freaked out by those pigs getting in their faces, jumping around. I've seen 5 year old kids forced to tears over this creature straight out of a freaky Disney movie (Alice in Wonderland or something) come roaring at them, dancing around, getting in their faces.

It's for the kids. Most small children are freaked out by those pigs getting in their faces, jumping around. I've seen 5 year old kids forced to tears over this creature straight out of a freaky Disney movie (Alice in Wonderland or something) come roaring at them, dancing around, getting in their faces.

I have a 4-year-old who LOVES Boomer & Sooner. She's never been scared of them. In fact, she chased them around in Memphis last year.

I have a 4-year-old who LOVES Boomer & Sooner. She's never been scared of them. In fact, she chased them around in Memphis last year.
Obviously, I'm not talking about every kid, lol. I'm sure kids were scared of Top Daug. But when this raging clown looking pig comes running at you doing the seawalk or whatever, it's a bit odd.

Exactly, there is nothing inherently "scary" about the horse pigs compared to top dawg.

Exactly, there is nothing inherently "scary" about the horse pigs compared to top dawg.
Sure, on TV they don't look scary. But when those eyes of rage get close to you, you feel that all hell is about to break loose.

TD should have been at the texas game with a WT sooner jersey on.

Back