OU now last place in most Big 12 defensive categories

thebigabd

Reaction score
For those who say this is a good offensive team

I have seen some arguments that OU is really bad on defense, but is a good offensive team. In comparison to other Big 12 teams right now, that is not the case. OU is not in the top 7 in any offensive categories. They are last place in scoring margin and field goal percentage, and have bad rankings in everything else.

Offensive Stats
#8 in the big 12 in scoring offense
#12 in scoring margin
#12 in field goal percentage
#8 in 3pt percentage
#10 in assists
#10 in turnover margin
#9 in offensive rebounds

Defensive Stats
Last place in scoring defense
Last place in scoring margin
Last place in FG Percentage defense
Last place in 3pt defense
10th place in blocks
9th place in steals
9th place in defensive rebounds

Yikes.

Re: For those who say this is a good offensive team

You don't think this team has the ability to be a very good offensive team?

ugh....

w.taxi.jpg

very good offensive players, not a very good offensive team...

You don't think this team has the ability to be a very good offensive team?

very good? probably not... They arent in the top 7 halfway through the season in any offensive categories against mostly average teams. UTEP was not an average team, mind you, but everyone else has been bad or average.

If everyone played up to their high school reputation than they could be good, but OU still has one guy who can put the ball in the hole in the paint and two guards who I would say are good scorers (TMG and Willie)..

They dont play like a team. They just stand around taking bad shots. I can't even see what they are trying to do out there.

very good offensive players, not a very good offensive team...

This is the best way to put it. Individually very talented offensively, but as a team they are having some trouble. The strange thing to me is that the early games we shot the ball very well but turned it over way too much. We have cut down on the turnovers, but the shooting percentages have gone down. More possessions=More misses is an easy correlation to much I guess.

I have seen some arguments that OU is really bad on defense, but is a good offensive team. In comparison to other Big 12 teams right now, that is not the case. OU is not in the top 7 in any offensive categories. They are last place in scoring margin and field goal percentage, and have bad rankings in everything else.

Offensive Stats
#8 in the big 12 in scoring offense
#12 in scoring margin
#12 in field goal percentage
#8 in 3pt percentage
#10 in assists
#10 in turnover margin
#9 in offensive rebounds

The way you measure an offense is to look at points per possession; that is the true measure of efficiency on offense.

Here are the Big XII teams, on offense and defense:
Code:
		Overall			
		W-L	Pomeroy/Rnk	AdjO/Rnk	AdjD/Rnk
Texas		10-0	.9924/1		117.6/7		77.0/1
Kansas		10-0	.9833/3		121.7/2		85.4/10
Missouri	7-3	.9471/15	109.6/57	85.3/9
Kansas St.	11-1	.9462/16	117.0/10	91.2/47
Texas A&M	9-2	.9085/35	114.0/25	93.4/75
Texas Tech	9-1	.8718/49	107.8/74	91.3/51
Oklahoma St.	10-1	.8507/59	108.4/69	93.2/74
Iowa St.	8-3	.8251/70	107.2/86	93.7/80
Baylor		9-1	.8248/71	107.7/81	94.1/85
Nebraska	8-2	.7882/81	97.7/212	87.1/19
Oklahoma	8-4	.7146/106	112.5/34	103.8/222
Colorado	6-4	.6453/123	113.7/26	107.9/287
(source)

OU does have a good offense! #34 nationally is solid. That is only 6th in the VERY STRONG Big XII, though. The reason they have worse offensive stats than some is that OU plays at a slower tempo than most of the rest of the Big XII.

UTEP was not an average team, mind you, but everyone else has been bad or average.

I keep seeing this idea floated here that UTEP is some sort of outstanding team.

What exactly, has UTEP done to show that they are a very good team?

OU is by far their best win.

They lost to a 4-6 New Mexico State team at home and they also lost to Ole Miss.

They haven't played anybody else with a pulse.

Is the 10-point loss to Ole Miss indicative of their quality?

I keep seeing this idea floated here that UTEP is some sort of outstanding team.

They lost to a 4-6 New Mexico State team at home and they also lost to Ole Miss.

Since I have not seen the Miners play before last night, I have no idea how or why they lost to New Mexico St or to Ole Miss. I do know that they were red hot last night. That still doesn't excuse our poor defensive performance.

I would say the 10-point overtime loss on the road to a team ranked in the Top 20 after holding a 12 point lead with under 5 minutes to go would be indicative of their quality.

I don't know what their record is or who they have played but They are a solid basketball team from what I saw last night. They are probably on par with Tulsa.

I don't know what their record is or who they have played but They are a solid basketball team from what I saw last night. They are probably on par with Tulsa.

I would say UTEP has more talent than Tulsa. In fact, I would say UTEP has more talent than anyone else in C-USA. They may not be as good of a team (they certainly might), but UTEP should be better than TU.

You can judge quality by what you see too. Just saying.

I would say the 10-point overtime loss on the road to a team ranked in the Top 20 after holding a 12 point lead with under 5 minutes to go would be indicative of their quality.

So then what do we make of losing to 4-6 New Mexico State on their home floor?

I'm not saying that UTEP is not a good team, but I just think there's an awful lot of praise being heaped on a team that, in my opnion, hasn't actually done much (yet) this year.

As I said, OU is easily their best win so far.

Their only tough game left before C-USA is a game at Tech on Jan. 3, so it will be interesting to see how they fare there.

I would say UTEP has more talent than Tulsa. In fact, I would say UTEP has more talent than anyone else in C-USA. They may not be as good of a team (they certainly might), but UTEP should be better than TU.

We'll see.

I've watched Tulsa play a number of times this year, including twice in person. (One of those I wish didn't happen... ;))

Last night was the first time I've seen UTEP play.

Just based on what I've seen, I would take Tulsa on a neutral court.

Tulsa's front court is better with Jerome Jordan and I think their guards are much more physical and will give UTEP's guards problems. They won't get any of the open looks they got against OU last night, IMO.

Tulsa is an EXCELLENT defensive team. They almost totally shut down James Anderson back on Dec. 2, and that's something hardly anyone in the Big 12 could do last year.

Back