OU vs Sam Houston 7pm CST on ESPN+

Let’s not get carried away…it was pathetic and I do think people were too high on this team, but these upsets happen early and often in college bball. Especially with teams with a lot of new pieces.

That one’s on coach. Had no answers to their pressure. Unprepared with an offensive plan. Needed to spread the floor and let Sherfield play but keeps mucking things up with motion.

Sam Houston is a big, strong, physical team and solid defensively. This was about 20 turnovers, which seems to be a trend with Moser coached teams and lack of offensive game plan.

+1. They also need to work on their shooting, just hitting some catch and shoot 3s will open the paint up for Sherfield and Groves to operate. Also, disappointed in how Noland looked tonight. Milos looks better.

It's game 1 of a long season, have faith they'll figure things out.

No one does this and I don’t know why:

6 second differential on game to shot. If we just dribble up top and launch a high-arcing three at the shot clock buzzer, the game is basically over. Probably takes 2 seconds to get to rim, which leaves 5 seconds or so for Sam Houston to corral the rebound and get it down court for a final heave. If the rebound is tipped or loose for even a second, it is probably then impossible for them to get the ball past half court cleanly.

If you airball it, you give them six full seconds, and you haven’t even tried to score. That would be even worse than the joke of an offense that we put out there.

Interesting that on a night where we couldn’t generate offense, he glued Joe Bam to the bench. Having his athleticism out there couldn’t have hurt.

+1. They also need to work on their shooting, just hitting some catch and shoot 3s will open the paint up for Sherfield and Groves to operate. Also, disappointed in how Noland looked tonight. Milos looks better.

If this was one loss that came out of nowhere, sure. But when Moser had an entire offseason to fix what happened last year and instead produces the exact same issues that cost us games and a tourney bid last year, I have no reason to have faith he will figure it out.

Could use a shot doctor. Yeah.. Just a terrible loss and a team down the stretch again that just had no plan. Bad, bad coaching.

Can't lose these games. No excuses.

It's one game so I won't overreact too much but as a potential bubble team, woof, not good.

JMO...

Too much inconsistency with the roster/pt.

Noland has no business starting. He's a very average player.

Why is Joe Bam only getting 13 minutes? He should get 20+ and start. Milos should be the 6th man.

Sam Godwin 10 minutes? He did some good things. Let's reward him with riding the pine.

Jacob had some good moments but should he get 31 minutes? Probably not.

Hill, that's a game he'll want to forget. He's too old to put up the box score that he did. Just bad.

Last edited:

It's one game so I won't overreact too much but as a potential bubble team, woof, not good.

JMO...

Why is Joe Bam only getting 13 minutes? He should get 20+ and start. Milos should be the 6th man.

Sam Godwin 10 minutes? He did some good things. Let's reward him with riding the pine.

Jacob had some good moments but should he get 31 minutes?

Hill, that's a game he'll want to forget. He's too old to put up the box score that he did. Just bad.

Idk how we can play hill rn. His defense is irrelevant with such poor offense.

its 1 game but boy was it bad and not a good way to start the season..not going to knee jerk too much but wow...

JMO...

Moser is literally in love with both Groves and all he talks about is how much better the 5 holdovers are.

Let’s not get carried away…it was pathetic and I do think people were too high on this team, but these upsets happen early and often in college bball. Especially with teams with a lot of new pieces.

Well ****...if people were too high on a team that loses their first game to a team picked to finish 7th in the WAC then what are we even doing in year two :(

Moser is literally in love with both Groves and all he talks about is how much better the 5 holdovers are.

There is a possibility. And I'm going to say this only partly sarcastically. Porter Moser is in over his head and really doesn't know what he's talking about.

This is also what happens when we 1 combined point from Hill and Noland and they go a combined 0-12. We will never be good enough for that even if we don’t turn it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is also what happens when we 1 combined point from Hill and Noland and they go a combined 0-12. We will never be good enough for that even if we don’t turn it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those two were awful, no question. But if we have a reasonable turnover number, we get 10 more possessions…which means probably about 7 more points with our awful offense. Bottom line, fix the turnovers and we still win even with all the other crap. It’s one thing to turn it over because you play fast and have lots of possessions. But to play our style and turn it over .. inexcusable.

JMO...

Honestly, looked like Moser thought they would comfortably win and wanted to see different lineup combinations and stuff. Bet the rotation shrinks down to 7-8 until further notice: Sherfield, J Groves, T Groves, Hill, Uzan, Joe B, Godwin, & Noland.

I'm not really in the mood to look at things positively tonight, but I'll offer just this much of an "on the other hand" observation:

OU was 28th in KenPom (that won't last) entering tonight's game, while Sam Houston was 160th. But we weren't the only Big 12 team that struggled: TCU was 16th and they had to rally for a one-point win over Arkansas Pine Bluff, who were ranked ... wait for it...361st. There were just three teams ranked lower than APB entering tonight's action.

Of course, TCU eked out the win while we bumbled our way to a loss, but it does show how early-season games can be kind of crazy. (I'm guessing TCU fans are only marginally happier than we are tonight.)

And if anyone hasn't seen yet, next up is Arkansas Pine Bluff who almost beat TCU tonight.

Honestly, looked like Moser thought they would comfortably win and wanted to see different lineup combinations and stuff.

He should have realized well before halftime that he didn't have that luxury.

Back