OU vs. Utah Statistical Plus/Minus Review

DSMok1

Reaction score
OU vs. Utah Statistical Plus/Minus

OU managed to win an ugly game. They had no standout performances, no dominant star, but they still gutted out a solid win over a solid team. Utah is ranked #122 in the Pomeroy Rankings; beating them on the road will be useful come tournament selection Sunday.

(Boxscore)
OU Statistical +/-
Code:
Player			SPM	Min	Contribution
Warren, Willie		6.0	44	4.0
Mason-Griffin, Tommy	4.3	44	2.9
Wright, Ryan		4.4	34	2.3
Crocker, Tony		1.6	39	0.9
Gallon, Tiny		4.4	10	0.7
Allen, Orlando		-8.5	3	-0.4
Davis, Cade		-1.7	41	-1.1
Fitzgerald, Andrew	-24.6	3	-1.1
Pledger, Steven		-12.9	7	-1.4
Utah Statistical +/-
Code:
Player			SPM	Min	Contribution
FOSTER, David		18.3	23	6.4
DRCA, Luka		8.5	35	4.5
BROWN, Carlon		5.3	38	3.0
WATKINS, Jay		1.3	32	0.6
HINES, Chris		-0.3	6	0.0
WASHBURN, Jason		-0.4	15	-0.1
CYPHERS, Jordan		-7.9	11	-1.3
TAVITA, Jace		-13.1	13	-2.6
HENDERSON, Marshall	-5.8	34	-3.0
TILLIE, Kim		-19.1	18	-5.2

Willie shot poorly, but redeemed himself with the free throws. He turned the ball over a lot, but redeemed himself with all the rebounds. All in all, a decent game, but not up to his standards. And he was the best OU player yesterday!

TMG continues his solid play. Like Willie, he had troubles with missing shots and turning the ball over, but also like him he rebounded well (!) and got to the line.

Ryan Wright played a solid game, which is a good thing given Tiny's troubles! No scoring, but 7 rebounds, 3 steals, and 1 block. A useful contribution.

TC was a rebounding beast again. Wow! Another solid game; only 1 assist and no steals or blocks though.

Tiny played solidly when he was in. 9 Points and 3 rebounds in 10 minutes... unfortunately, the fouls did him in.

The best 2 players on the floor played for Utah. David Foster played a splendid game. Six blocks in 23 minutes! That's what a big man should do. Seven points and seven rebounds, also. Well done. Luke Drca played a nice game also--8 rebounds, 13 points, 3 assists, and 3 steals. Both played well, but were done in by bad playe from their teamates.

All in all, a good win for OU.

Here are the totals through 10 games, with the minutes per game listed:
OU Statistical +/- Ten Game Totals
Code:
Player			SPM	MPG	Contribution
Tony Crocker		6.2	32.8	34.5
Willie Warren		6.5	29.7	33.4
Cade Davis		2.7	26.9	12.1
Tiny Gallon		2.8	24.3	11.3
Steven Pledger		1.9	21.6	6.8
Kyle Hardrick		-0.3	0.3	0.0
Beau Gerber		-17.4	0.4	-1.3
T.J. Franklin		-20.4	0.9	-3.3
Orlando Allen		-6.1	4.6	-5.0
Ray Willis		-11.5	2.7	-5.7
Andrew Fitzgerald	-4.9	9.2	-7.8
Ryan Wright		-1.7	16.2	-4.7
Tommy Mason-Griffin	-1.0	33.0	-5.7

TC and WW lead the team; Cade and Tiny play well; Pledger pitches in, and the rest have played basically average so far this year.

Statistical Plus/Minus (SPM) is a method of estimating each player's impact from the box score statistics. SPM is listed in points above the average player playing per 100 possessions--so if that player was replaced by an average player for 100 possessions, SPM is the difference in the final margin. The total of all player's contributions will sum to the actual scoring margin (each team's total will equal half of the overall margin). The original method was outlined by Dan Rosenbaum at 82games.com; recently additional factors were added by Neil Paine at Basketball-Reference.com. I previously compiled the complete 2008-2009 NCAA numbers on this forum.

I could've sworn I saw Ryan Wright miss a shot then tip it back in... you sure he didn't score?

TMG is really bringing his (-) +/- back. He used to be much "deeper" into the negative than he is now. Keep up the good work TMG! You will turn out to be a great contributor by the end of the calender year, like someone else said in a previous thread a few weeks ago (sorry my memory prevents me from remembering who said this once before.... haha).

TMG is really bringing his (-) +/- back. He used to be much "deeper" into the negative than he is now. Keep up the good work TMG! You will turn out to be a great contributor by the end of the calender year, like someone else said in a previous thread a few weeks ago (sorry my memory prevents me from remembering who said this once before.... haha).

How bad was TMG?
Find it hard to believe that he is still the worst on our team.

How bad was TMG?
Find it hard to believe that he is still the worst on our team.

Code:
Player			Opponent		Min	SPM	Contribution
Tommy Mason-Griffin	Mount St. Mary's	30	-0.6	-0.3
Tommy Mason-Griffin	Louisiana Monroe	32	-4.2	-2.0
Tommy Mason-Griffin	Virginia Commonwealth	31	-1.5	-0.9
Tommy Mason-Griffin	San Diego		30	-10.8	-5.5
Tommy Mason-Griffin	Houston			26	-7.6	-3.7
Tommy Mason-Griffin	Nicholls St.		39	-10.3	-6.1
Tommy Mason-Griffin	Arkansas		33	6.9	3.5
Tommy Mason-Griffin	Arizona			34	10.1	5.8
Tommy Mason-Griffin	Centenary		31	1.3	0.7
Tommy Mason-Griffin	Utah			44	4.3	2.9

Man Fitzgerald really looks lost out there. I think his minutes are going to shrink more and more as the year goes on.

If Ryan Wright can stay productive and Tiny can stay out of foul trouble, this team has a chance.

I love seeing Crockers numbers reflecting what we've all seen from him so far this year. He's more than solid.

seniorsooner, but who picks those minutes up? it just seems like he HAS to play some. everytime i watch this team i can't help but wonder what we would be like with pautillo.

TMG really started to play better during the final game of the Alaska trip. And not surprisingly, so has the team. It started on the defense end. His effort and intensity really increased in that Nicholls state game, and he has played well ever since.

Back