Practice #2

KBaden145

Reaction score
I want to make sure guys understand I'm only getting to see about 1 hour of practice each day (my boys get home from school at 3:00) so my snapshot of things is a little limited.

A lot more work on offense. Transitioning off a defensive board/turnover into a standard set or 2. This was mostly against air but they did break into red/white groups and situationally scrimmage. Enjoyable to watch what amounts to the basis of Kruger's offense; pressure defense, get the board or turnover, convert quickly to the other side of the floor, move the ball and the defense, look paint out for open looks, shoot confidently. They are always looking to run and share the ball. Just good basketball.

Just a few impressions. McNeace really struggles at times from a skills standpoint. You can really tell he 1. hasn't played very long or 2. hasn't worked on some of the finer points of his game. His length helps him to gets his hands on a lot of balls in play but his lack of strength/bulk doesn't allow him to finish with the ball. He really struggle mightily to make the rotation (with Thomas) or contribute much if he does (without Thomas). A redshirt candidate if I've ever seen one.

Lattin looks like a guy who just needs a little refinement, an adjustment here or there. I get the feeling they are working very hard here and off the practice floor to get him ready now. He's close. As mentioned earlier, he's further along offensively than Bennett but not quite as rugged as he needs to be. It's kind of funny to watch these young guys at times. Deer meet headlight. The difference between the 2 is Lattin will come back and make a play where McNeace just can't quite finish. I will say this. It's tough to be a big at practice at the University of Oklahoma right now. Spangler, Thomas, and Bennett are spare no quarter. They go hard all the time and it's tough to stay with them.

Walker is fitting in very nicely. He's mostly running the point and distributing. I honestly think he looks a lot more comfortable in that role than Jelon ever did but we'll really need to wait until the season gets here to know for sure. He caught a corner 3 or a deep one straight on and knocked down his share. I don't know what kind of % guy he will be but he won't shy away from it. He just fits.

Woodard looked excellent. He's more vocal and he looked really quick today. If Thomas is cleared, our starting 5 will be as good as there is in America. Our core group of returners had solid days. Cole seemed to have a back or side issue today and was limited. I've mentioned this before but I really like the Mankin kid. Looks like a scholarship athlete to me. Can really shoot, good ball handler and passer. I could see him picking up some minutes on the wing. Booker looks good. If he has changed his body from last season, it's not very noticeable. That's about it. I had to leave just as things were getting really good. I will try to get there today too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to make sure guys understand I'm only getting to see about 1 hour of practice each day (my boys get home from school at 3:00) so my snapshot of things is a little limited.

A lot more work on offense. Transitioning off a defensive board/turnover into a standard set or 2. This was mostly against air but they did break into red/white groups and situationally scrimmage. Enjoyable to watch what amounts to the basis of Kruger's offense; pressure defense, get the board or turnover, convert quickly to the other side of the floor, move the ball and the defense, look paint out for open looks, shoot confidently. They are always looking to run and share the ball. Just good basketball.

Just a few impressions. McNeace really struggles at times from a skills standpoint. You can really tell he 1. hasn't played very long or 2. hasn't worked on some of the finer points of his game. His length helps him to gets his hands on a lot of balls in play but his lack of strength/bulk doesn't allow him to finish with the ball. He really struggle mightily to make the rotation (with Thomas) or contribute much if he does (without Thomas). A redshirt candidate if I've ever seen one.

Lattin looks like a guy who just needs a little refinement, an adjustment here or there. I get the feeling they are working very hard here and off the practice floor to get him ready now. He's close. As mentioned earlier, he's further along offensively than Bennett but not quite as rugged as he needs to be. It's kind of funny to watch these young guys at times. Deer meet headlight. The difference between the 2 is Lattin will come back and make a play where McNeace just can't quite finish. I will say this. It's tough to be a big at practice at the University of Oklahoma right now. Spangler, Thomas, and Bennett are spare no quarter. They go hard all the time and it's tough to stay with them.

Walker is fitting in very nicely. He's mostly running the point and distributing. I honestly think he looks a lot more comfortable in that role than Jelon ever did but we'll really need to wait until the season gets here to know for sure. He caught a corner 3 or a deep one straight on and knocked down his share. I don't know what kind of % guy he will be but he won't shy away from it. He just fits.

Woodard looked excellent. He's more vocal and he looked really quick today. If Thomas is cleared, our starting 5 will be as good as there is in America. Our core group of returners had solid days. Cole seemed to have a back or side issue today and was limited. I've mentioned this before but I really like the Mankin kid. Looks like a scholarship athlete to me. Can really shoot, good ball handler and passer. I could see him picking up some minutes on the wing. Booker looks good. If he has changed his body from last season, it's not very noticeable. That's about it. I had to leave just as things were getting really good. I will try to get there today too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the report. I have always said, although they play different positions that Mankin should have the scholarship and Cole not. Also, I have heard from others that Walker will make a better contribution than Hornbeak.

Cole was brought in to raise GPA. He and staff knew that.

We appreciate any practice feedback you can give us. Thanks for taking the time to inform us.

Does anyone think there is a legitimate chance Thomas gets declared eligible this year?

Does anyone think there is a legitimate chance Thomas gets declared eligible this year?

The Thomas waiver is still a good possibility. Someone posted on this board that it was unlikely because another U of H transfer was denied. They were referring to PG Jaaron Simmons who transferred to Ohio. Simmons is redshirting this year and has 3 years to play. I don't think he ever applied for a waiver. He wasn't ready to play and really needed the redshirt year IMHO. The other transfer from U of H was Danuel House (A&M) and he hasn't heard anything either. I bet they rule on House and Thomas at the same time. Maybe this week.

vbdad who is usually plugged in to good inside information, posted that U of H is trying to block the waiver because they don't think Sampson's negative record is a good enough reason to transfer.

I still think it's at least a 50/50 deal. I'm trying to be optimistic.

Thanks for the update. You may have to put those kids in some kind of after school program so we can get a full practice update. lol Thanks again appreciate what you give us.

The Thomas waiver is still a good possibility. Someone posted on this board that it was unlikely because another U of H transfer was denied. They were referring to PG Jaaron Simmons who transferred to Ohio. Simmons is redshirting this year and has 3 years to play. I don't think he ever applied for a waiver. He wasn't ready to play and really needed the redshirt year IMHO. The other transfer from U of H was Danuel House (A&M) and he hasn't heard anything either. I bet they rule on House and Thomas at the same time. Maybe this week.

vbdad who is usually plugged in to good inside information, posted that U of H is trying to block the waiver because they don't think Sampson's negative record is a good enough reason to transfer.

I still think it's at least a 50/50 deal. I'm trying to be optimistic.

Hopefully the disdain the NCAA has for Sampson works in our favor this time around!

Hopefully the disdain the NCAA has for Sampson works in our favor this time around!

That's probably our best shot for getting Thomas eligible this year. I'm not sure there is a compelling reason why he should be, otherwise. He wasn't kicked off Houston's roster...isn't choosing to play close to home because of a sick relative...Someone would have to fill me in on the other reasons why a waiver would be granted.

That's probably our best shot for getting Thomas eligible this year. I'm not sure there is a compelling reason why he should be, otherwise. He wasn't kicked off Houston's roster...isn't choosing to play close to home because of a sick relative...Someone would have to fill me in on the other reasons why a waiver would be granted.

If a player is "run off" from his old school, he can be considered for a waiver. For example, the PG from LSU was kicked off the LSU team for breaking "undisclosed team rules" and he got a waiver to play immediately for OSU. It seems if they screw up bad enough to kicked off one team, they can play immediately for another one.

Anthony Hickey Transfer

Hickey Waiver Granted

Thanks for the clarification, Usedtobe1.

As for the practice report, that was excellent, KB! Much appreciated. I never got the impression McNeace would see the floor this year. KB's assessment doesn't surprise me a bit. He'll get great coaching, though, so hopefully he'll be able to contribute next year if he does indeed redshirt.

If a player is "run off" from his old school, he can be considered for a waiver. For example, the PG from LSU was kicked off the LSU team for breaking "undisclosed team rules" and he got a waiver to play immediately for OSU. It seems if they screw up bad enough to kicked off one team, they can play immediately for another one.

Anthony Hickey Transfer

Hickey Waiver Granted

Doesn't that make perfect sense. Break somerulesplay immediately but if your coach quits or is fired and you don't like your new coach you can't play immediately.

Anthony Hickey Transfer

Hickey Waiver Granted

Unless they transfer to OU.

dgb.jpg

Back