Recruiting Summary (12/9)

thebigabd

Reaction score
OU missed the cut for Doron Lamb and Ray Mccallum.

OU needs two post players, a backup point guard, and depth. Who does OU have a legit chance of signing out there other than Terrence Jones?

Capel really seems to be keeping it close to the vest right now in recruitment so its hard to say who OU is showing actually real interest in. I heard a rumor that Robert Goff (juco PF) was on campus for a visit earlier this week though.

Capel really seems to be keeping it close to the vest right now in recruitment so its hard to say who OU is showing actually real interest in. I heard a rumor that Robert Goff (juco PF) was on campus for a visit earlier this week though.

What is Goff doing right now? He isnt on roster at Hutchinson, which is where I thought he was.

I heard that he had to sit out a year for some transfer rule or something, not entirely sure on the reason but I do know he is sitting out a year.

I think TJ fits into the combo guard slot and will play back-up PG, that would be the TJ that is already signed.

If you look at OU's roster for next year this is what we have right now.
PG TMG - T.J. Taylor
SG Cade Davis - Steven Pledger
SF Cam Clark - Ray Willis
PF Andrew Fitzgerald - Kyle Hardrick/Barry Honore (lets not rule out Barry, he has D-1 experience which is a lot more than some others)
C Tiny Gallon - Orlando Allen

Right now I think we can get by without any more guards unless we can find a guy who could actually come in and contribute. Capel seems to be the type of coach who will hold the scholarship for the next year rather than just bring in a juco to sit on the bench next year. Personally I think the main focus needs to be bringing in some size or we might end up seeing Cam Clark playing some 4 like Crocker has this year.

Like I mentioned in the new staff post, unfortunately, there just aren't a lot of names that have come to light at this time. My guess would be that we will know more here in the next month. This staff likes to wait and evaluate/offer JUCOs during the late period.

Sam nailed it regarding Rob Goff. He has hit an eligibility snag since transferring into Hutch JUCO this year, and has not been able to play. It is probably the main reason why he is rated fairly low in the JUCO rankings.

I would expect to see OU sign two guys that can play the post. I also wouldn't be surprised if they signed a pg in order to add some depth for next year.

There are alot of names out there, but they aren't going to come to the surface because prospects and programs are focused on the season.

There are alot of names out there, but they aren't going to come to the surface because prospects and programs are focused on the season.

That sucks, given OU has 3 or 4 spots to fill.

That sucks, given OU has 3 or 4 spots to fill.

What sucks? OU is still recruiting Jones, they are in the top two for the Shavon Coleman, and confident enough in their recruiting to not offer a top 150 kid in Ross-Miller.

What sucks? OU is still recruiting Jones, they are in the top two for the Shavon Coleman, and confident enough in their recruiting to not offer a top 150 kid in Ross-Miller.

DM, where did you hear that about Coleman? And who is the other school?

That seems awfully positive. I did not know the staff was confident enough not to offer a Top 150 kid that was interested in OU (I am assuming he was interested).

I heard that he had to sit out a year for some transfer rule or something, not entirely sure on the reason but I do know he is sitting out a year.

Side note: if you transfer within the Jayhawk Conference you have to sit out a year...never understood why some players do this.

We are in real good shape on Jones right now. We have more than a decent shot here.

The funny thing about the Jones situation is that no one from Jones's camp has had an interview since his mom gave a two sentence interview with a KU site, but we've had every so called expert dismiss OU and claim other schools are the favorite like UK, UO, and UW. Here are the facts. UW has signed a euro forward that is similar to Jones in Kanter. UO is going to have a new head coach. UK leads with CJ Leslie. So those facts help OU somewhat.

I'm irritated by the fact that no one is talking about Shavon Coleman. This is a guy that has named OU a co-leader and seems like more of a possibility than anyone. Also, Honore is going to get a scholarship.

Last edited:
In my opinion the reason why the so called big names is not considering schools to far away from home is because of the economy.In my opinion that will hurt alot of schools,because parents and family members want to see their kids play.I know several famlies that states that and seats at Noble has been empty and players and family looks at that when it comes to makeing a decision.

In my opinion the reason why the so called big names is not considering schools to far away from home is because of the economy.In my opinion that will hurt alot of schools,because parents and family members want to see their kids play.I know several famlies that states that and seats at Noble has been empty and players and family looks at that when it comes to makeing a decision.

agreed on that point. That's why missing out on Cobbins and Olediji hurts in my opinion. I'm curious about your statement about Lloyd Noble. I conceed that the attendance looks very bad, but if you look over the landscape of college basketball right now, the attendance looks bad everywhere. OU's attendance seems to be normal if not a smidge above normal considering what other schools are doing. I know that Cameron Clark was recruited by OSU who undoubtedly talked up their fan support vs. OU's fan support, and they have had worse attendance. Texas, the number two team in the nation is having not so good attendance. I think OU's reputation in this category is hurting the actual reality.

I personally don't know if OU will ever get 9 to 10K into LNC before January. but the trend is that not many schools will bring in 10K before January. But, what makes it hard is that the fan support issue precedes Capel and it's an uphill battle. If coach were to leave in the near future, it would solidify this perception. He's trying to create a perception of good players, good teams, NBA opportunities. Capel is also trying to solidify getting the best prospect in Texas. With good recruiting staffs at Baylor, OSU, and Texas, when they decide to recruit locally, that is also a hard task.

Ouch but true, not a ton of schools support rummy home games Pre January and yes UT is ranked 2 and they aren't drawling very good right now. Surely a kid doesn't make a college decision because of this.

Back