Scrimmage report

35TangoTango

Reaction score
Pretty good crowd - I'd guess 2,000 - 3,000. The scrimmage consisted of a series of 4 minute periods, with either the girls divided into two teams, or one team playing against the male practice players. Coach wore a live mike and alternated between telling us what was going on, or giving "do better" instructions to various players. More about her comments later, except to say at this point she said we were just running various options (called by the point) of the motion offense. No set plays in yet.

The initial set was first team against second team. The first team was (predictably) Morgan, Aaryn, Whitney, Joanna, and Nicole. The second team was Maddie (1), Jasmine (2), Nicole K (3), Sharane (4), and Portia (5). Kaylon was in uniform, but with a cast on her foot up to mid calf, and a little wheeled scooter thing for that leg. Lyndsey was not dressed out. I'm guessing she will not be able to be a significant factor this year.

Morgan, Aaryn, and Whitney were what we are used to seeing - but maybe still more polished.

Maddie played almost all of her considerable minutes at the point. She was penetrate or pass first, before looking for her shot, though she did make some outside or midrange shots. she looked very good for a true freshman this early. Doesn't look like she'll be plagued by the indecision and pointless dribbling that characterized DaShawn early last year. She really does look a little like a young Dales.

Jasmine played more at the 2 than the point, and was smooth, but not very offensive minded. Experienced player, can fill in at either position.

Nicole K played almost exclusively at the 3, and looks like a cross between Whitney and Vegas. Vegas in that she's not shy about taking a shot when she's open. After a while, a lot of them were dropping, too.

Sharane spent most of her time at the 4. Coach commented that Kay-kay's injury had changed Sharane's situation. She nailed several 3's popping out to the perimeter, and showed her usual hustle on defense.

Nicole G played exclusively at the 5. She did look tough offensively part of the time (when she could keep focus). Was the butt of Coach's do better comments on occassion for not running and getting position early.

Portia played more at the 5 than the 4, and looks more than anything else like a more polished Kay-Kay clone. More range, felt comfortable moving out for mid-range shots, though she wasn't hitting tonight. Obviously physical, and a tough defender by nature.

Joanna played mostly at the 4 - maybe a little at the 5. Looked like she knew what she was doing, but seldom spectacular.

My take is that Kaylon's injury has really changed the early plans. We were going to have a simplistic situation where Nicole and Kaylon were going to play exclusively at the 5, and Joanna and Portia exclusively at the 4. Now Portia, Joanna, and Sharane have to learn multiple positions. Nicole must have someone to push her to be tougher and more physical in practice, and that person is going to be Portia. All in all, our inside game will take a little longer to develop than hoped for.

Coach's comments. Mission 1 is to push transition, both offensively and defensively. She was constantly on the point guards to push more, and to get someone on the ball and to stop the transition defensively. Mission 2 in half court defense is not so much to hawk the passing lanes and try to get steals, as to make the other team take a contested jump shot. No layups, no open 3's. Having explained that to us, she was on the girls a lot to pressure the ball and to "stunt", which I gathered was to cover the first pass away. Nothing like getting your name called out in front of 2,000 people while playing at full speed. But none of the newbies really looked lost.

Coach said that this is really the first time they've gone for longer than about 2 minutes in a situation. You could guage the focus by the way they played against the men. They waxed the practice team early, got killed by the practice team later, and then got their mental wind back in the last set and won a narrow victory.

In my opinion it's going to be a very exciting team to watch on the perimeter with lots of quality depth, and lots of offensive minds. The key will be how the inside game, both offensively and defensively comes along. Going to be a fun season.

After the buildup that we've been hearing about Griffin, I was disappointed that she didn't have a better scrimmage.

I was there and totally agree with your analysis, Tango!

Well back from the scrimmage, as in the past, haven't read any posts so I'll just get down to "bidness"

I really didn't care too much for this year's format to be quite honest. For me, too much time going against the male scout team and not enough of the girls going against each other. Sherri was miked for the entire scrimmage, and for me, way too much play by play and instruction, though I do get it, that is her job. I just wanted to see the kids perform more in a game like situation I guess.

Any way, I was impressed with the new kids. They all have really good basketball sense. All three have excellent fundamentals, very good mechanics on their shots. They play solid defense, but can use improvement in this area, and they will.

Nicole did not shoot the ball very well tonight, but I like her big body, seemed to not stop smiling and was a kid having fun. She seemed to have a good grasp on the offense, and certainly knew what to do with the basketball. I see some really good things from her in the future.

Maddie is long and lean. Once she gets comfortable in our defensive schemes, she will be a huge help. Offensively, she is very good at looking for open people. She made a couple of really nice drives to the basket and finished. She also struggled with her shot from the perimeter, but again looks good shooting the ball and will be a good contributor. She had some turnovers on some bad passes, but will get better. I was impressed with her ball handling and especially her toughness.

Portia looked just a little bit lost at times, but I like her potential. Has good range on her jumper. She also showed some toughness, but struggled with her shot during the scrimmage. I want to see her in the next scrimmage and see how she performs against regular competition, not the boys. I think she will be okay.

What impressed me most about our three newbies, was how well they fit in with the veterans. All three seemed to enjoy being on the floor. They didn't seem nervous, and were having a lot of fun playing. We have three good helpers coming in this year. I expect some significant minutes from all three.

Of the veterans, the four that really impressed me were Nicole, Aaryn, Whitney, and Sharane. All the girls did a nice job of spacing the floor. Nicole has been working on her game. She seemed to struggle a little bit in the first stanza, but got better as the scrimmage went on. It is obvious that besides Sherri's wants on the perimeter, she wants more production out of the post, specifically, Nicole. Once she got into the flow of the scrimmage, she scored and sealed off her defender very well. She missed some close buckets and failed to pump fake on a couple of opportunities, but over all, she won me over. I think this could be a big year for her and help open up the outside for our shooters.

Aaryn was the most consistent outside shooter of the scrimmage, well duh!!! The girl has no rust at all and is still as smooth as ever. I did not pay that much attention to her defense, so won't comment. Just expect another great year from her at the two.

Sharane was another consistent player tonight. Nothing spectacular, but hit a couple of threes and hit well inside. Solid play and looking for another good year from her as well.

Whitney did not shoot the ball well tonight, but was the floor general. Did all the stuff I want to see from her. Rebound, communicate, pass, etc. She is going to have a solid year.

Getting to the rest of the kids, Morgan was solid. Knocked down a couple of nice long range shots. Sherri told her not to pass up open threes. I just like this kid, did everything pretty well.

Jo looks like is going to be our starting 4. I did not see any hesitation from her injury from last year. She didn't really stand out in the scrimmage, but she didn't back down from any thing either, she will be okay and give us a solid starter opposite Nicole.

Jasmine looked stronger and showed no problem with her speed and ball handling. I think we will see her in defensive situations and gain some valuable playing time during stretches in games where her defense is needed. I was a little surprised with her play. Looked like the old Jaz to me.

Lyndsey did not suit up or play. If she is still having problems with her back, my gut feeling is, at best, she will get some mop up duty during the season. I don't think she will get very many productive minutes. I hope I am wrong, but don't think so.

Kaylon joined her team mates on the floor with her bandaged up foot, and kicked around on her "scooter". She spent most of her time on an airdyne bicycle pushing the pedals with one foot, the other leg resting on the scooter. She did give a nice juggling display with her tennis balls balancing on one leg. Not real smart, but entertaining. I was glad Coach cut it short. We don't need a re-injured Kayon.

As I mentioned, over all did not like the format to the scrimmage, and the time with the scout team on the floor. It is what it is. Had a nice crowd to support the kids. Looking forward to the first real scrimmage next week and see how the gals do against a game like atmosphere.

Good report Tango. I pretty much concur. I agree, the newbies do looked a little more polished than most freshmen. I'm glad you included some of Coaches comments, because to be quite honest, I didn't pay attention too much with her being miked.

Stats wise, Sharane played really well.

Yes she did. I was just thinking this morning that if we want to put our best 5 players on the court, she will see considerable time at the 4.

I'm glad the players thought they were terrible. That tells me that their standards are a little higher this year.

Yes she did. I was just thinking this morning that if we want to put our best 5 players on the court, she will see considerable time at the 4.

I'm glad the players thought they were terrible. That tells me that their standards are a little higher this year.

Yes, like you, after sleeping on it and thinking back, the gals didn't play very well as a whole, but I saw some really good potential. It will be difficult to keep Sharane off the floor. You can tell she has really worked hard in the off season on her shooting and all around game.

The other thing I really noticed is how much fun the kids were having on the court. They all played at times with reckless abandon and just PLAYED. I was really impressed with Maddie, Nicole, and Portia. They weren't hesitant like typical freshmen or new JUCO players. They all grasped what Sherri teaches and wants, plus I was really impressed with how they came back from mistakes. Just shrugged it off and kept playing, no pity parties. Once this group puts it all together, they will be a very tough team to beat. Sooner basketball is in good hands with this group. Especially like Tango said, it seems their standards are higher, and that is a good thing.

If Nicole G is the post player we will get pounded again by the good teams. I don't care what Sherrie says about her improvement she is bad and will still be bad the day she graduates, nuff said

If Nicole G is the post player we will get pounded again by the good teams. I don't care what Sherrie says about her improvement she is bad and will still be bad the day she graduates, nuff said

I totally disagree with this assessment. She may not be Griner, but last year she was better than the average Big 12 center by any measurable standards. If we had had Kay-Kay to push her this year, I would have been totally confident in our center position. As it is, we need a quality player to push her and to alternate with her. Portia could be that player. She's undersized, but that doesn't always matter.

I didn't see this posted, so just FYI, the scrimmage video is online.

Well obviously you didn't see the scrimmage last night. She is much improved from last year. She was a pleasant surprise for me. The offense worked to get the ball down into good positions for her to score. She will be a factor in our success this season. Portia will push her in practice and make her tougher and a better player.

I would put Sharane back at guard and put one of the two freshman at forward. If they are indeed 6' 2" as Sherry said Sat. Much better for guarding at that position and also rebounding. Sharane got lost down under the basket. I think she would be much more effective at guard. Just my opinion.

I would put Sharane back at guard and put one of the two freshman at forward. If they are indeed 6' 2" as Sherry said Sat. Much better for guarding at that position and also rebounding. Sharane got lost down under the basket. I think she would be much more effective at guard. Just my opinion.

As the kids get more seasoned, Nicole K. certainly has the size to play a big 3 or average 4. What I like about this year's team is the versatility that Sherri will have with different combinations. This is going to be a fun year to watch these kids grow with the vets.

Although I saw some good things (and bad) from everyone, I was most pleased with what I saw from the two Nicoles. Griffin is a lot more aggressive than she has been, and she scored after fighting on the floor for balls, something she didn't do in the past. Her hands seem better, and she seems more determined.

I had no idea what to expect out of Kornet. But, she can shoot. She has a beautiful stroke, and she can get it off whenever she wishes. She may be our best spot shooter as a freshman.

It wasn't the most cohesive scrimmage. But, there were flashes that intrigued me. Portia couldn't hit anything. But, she made a couple of really nice passes to Griffin. Maddie threw some balls away, but she also threw some brilliant passes. Somebody has to stop her, or she will drive to the rim.

Sharane seems to have grown up a bit, more under control. Hook was Hook.

Well obviously you didn't see the scrimmage last night. She is much improved from last year. She was a pleasant surprise for me. The offense worked to get the ball down into good positions for her to score. She will be a factor in our success this season. Portia will push her in practice and make her tougher and a better player.

Roc, I am very glad to hear that Nicole has improved. I only watched a portion of the scrimmage and didn't see much production from her but obviously, she had a better all-around scrimmage than the short time that observed so that is good news. Thanks!

Roc, I am very glad to hear that Nicole has improved. I only watched a portion of the scrimmage and didn't see much production from her but obviously, she had a better all-around scrimmage than the short time that observed so that is good news. Thanks!

No doubt she struggled a bit in the first 10 mins. As the scrimmage went on, her team mates had confidence in her, and she handled the ball better, and got off some nice shots. That was against the guys, and they were pretty aggressive. She really impressed me with her improvement.

Nicole Griffin made one particular move toward the basket that had me thinking she was one of the top posts in the country. I definitely hadn't seen that before. The only thing I think she's missing is will. Not everyone has that fire and determination that you see in people like Whitney Hand. If Nicole can get more of that, she'll be a force inside. She definitely has the potential. I thought Jasmine was really our best defender, to no surprise. She was missed from last year, and could have made a difference in a game like St. Johns. Looking forward to having her on the court again this year.

Back