Scumbag prep hoop fans try torching coach's house

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
http://www.santafenewmexican.c....L-coaches-home

James Barron | The New Mexican
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010

Española Valley High School's head boys basketball coach Richard Martinez admits he wasn't much help on the sidelines of Edward Medina Gymnasium on Wednesday night.

Earlier that evening, he learned his house was set on fire while his 83-year-old mother was inside.

The incident occurred at about 8 p.m., and a neighbor called 911 to report the blaze. Martinez said somebody poured gasoline on the front door and lit it on fire. The fire damage was limited to the front door and the patio, but it trapped Frutosa Martinez, who uses a wheelchair, in the house. Firefighters rescued her, but she suffered from the effects of smoke inhalation and was rushed to Española Hospital.

Richard Martinez learned of the incident while he was coaching the Sundevils to a 75-63 win over the Taos Tigers. His brothers, Eric and Archie Martinez, tended to the emergency while Richard remained to coach.

"My brothers elected to make the move and they went home and took care of things at home," Richard Martinez said. "I stayed here, but my coaching wasn't up to par."

The interior of the house suffered smoke damage, but the Martinezes stayed there overnight. Lt. Christian Lopez of Española Police Department said the event is being treated as criminal matter, especially since a person was injured.

"Because his mom was inside, we picked up the case immediately," Lopez said.

Lopez said investigators are following some leads, but declined to elaborate.

Richard Martinez lamented that anybody would do such a thing.

"My mom probably won't be the same with a tragedy like this because of the mental stress for a lady of her stature," he said. "This is detrimental to myself and my family. It's just hard for something like this to happen."

Martinez is in his seventh year as Española's head coach and has compiled a 125-60 record. Over the last three years, the Sundevils have had one of the best programs in Class AAAA with a 67-8 mark since the 2007-08 season and two straight appearances in the AAAA state semifinals.

Despite that success, Martinez has gotten some criticism from the loyal and sometimes rabid Española fan base. The harshest criticism has been that he hasn't led the school, which has not won a state team title in any sport, to its first championship despite being the top seed in the state basketball tournament in each of the last two seasons.

Española is 14-1 and ranked second in the latest New Mexico High School Coaches Association poll.

Martinez has felt the sting of those critiques, but he won't let them deter him from doing his job or living his life.

"I am not going to worry about it," Martinez said. "We're just going to drive forward. If somebody wants to get me or not, I am going forward."

Lopez said all possibilities are being considered, including the chance the action was connected to the recent suspension of three players — Luis Alvarado, Aaron Aragon and Juan Trujillo — for violating school policy. None of the players suited up for the Taos game.

"It's something we haven't ruled out, but we haven't ruled anything out," Lopez said.

A $500 reward is being offered for information that leads to an arrest in the case.

Saw this earlier...that town is a joke, they were in our district during HS.

Back