Shocker in Lubbock?T

Tech looks legit... Up 9 at home over #10 Washington.

Brad Reese (juco transfer) is living up to the hype with 14 points in the first half... He looks the part too, 6'7'', good athlete, good shooter... He has struggled early but he looks really good tonight. If he starts playing up to potential Tech will be really tough.

Mike Singletary is a beast.....

Tech looks legit... Up 9 at home over #10 Washington.

Brad Reese (juco transfer) is living up to the hype with 14 points in the first half... He looks the part too, 6'7'', good athlete, good shooter... He has struggled early but he looks really good tonight. If he starts playing up to potential Tech will be really tough.

Mike Singletary is a beast.....

Reese is clsoe to tripling his average of 5.9 pts per game. You go boi. Also, Singletary is a guy that I wanted out of High School. Everyone backed away from him because he was an undersized 4. OU and OSU offered him real late in his recruiting and he visited both. He committed to Tech shortly after. Then he had an interview with David Letterman.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGfueEHj1Ks&feature=fvw[/ame]

I'm not sure if winning a game you're underdogs by 1 point in counts as a shocker.

I don't care about lines in basketball especially this early, but most would consider Tech bottom of the Big 12 at best about 5th or so. Washington is a top 15 team right now. Washington has come back and it's now a 1 point game.

Hmmm, TT fans rush the court too early. Didn't they do that in football last year?

Tech is 8-0 with a win over a top 10 team.

They increased their athletic ability and talent in the juco ranks.. Juco players scored 48 of the 99 points tonight for Tech, and they have been perfect compliment players for the high school studs like Roberson and Singletary.

Perfect recruiting method for Tech.

Tech is 8-0 with a win over a top 10 team.

They increased their athletic ability and talent in the juco ranks.. Juco players scored 48 of the 99 points tonight for Tech, and they have been perfect compliment players for the high school studs like Roberson and Singletary.

Perfect recruiting method for Tech.

Schools all around the country are definetely going to follow this model of success.

Hey abd, you know Bobby Knight was against recruiting Juco players in Indiana. He only recruited one juco guy in all his years at Indiana, Keith Smart. His first class at Tech had three Juco players. Why would a guy who only recruited one Juco player at an institution where he won Hundreds and Hundreds of games and two NCAA titles change his whole recruiting Method when he started coaching at Texas Tech? The Method is getting the best player available. I guarantee you that Tech would trade all of those guys in Juco for OUs class. As a matter of fact, OSU did trade Reese's commit in for a commit from Roger Franklin.

Schools all around the country are definetely going to follow this model of success.

It does not make sense at all schools.

Hey abd, you know Bobby Knight was against recruiting Juco players in Indiana. He only recruited one juco guy in all his years at Indiana, Keith Smart. His first class at Tech had three Juco players. Why would a guy who only recruited one Juco player at an institution where he won Hundreds and Hundreds of games and two NCAA titles change his whole recruiting Method when he started coaching at Texas Tech? The Method is getting the best player available. I guarantee you that Tech would trade all of those guys in Juco for OUs class. As a matter of fact, OSU did trade Reese's commit in for a commit from Roger Franklin.

Pat Knight has said Tech will be 50/50 with juco and freshman... He is going to recruit the best high school players (Roberson, Crockett, Singletary, Outler, etc) and mix them with the best junior college players he can get (Reese, Darko, Tairu, Okorie, etc)...

Sometimes getting the best freshman players available means you will be young and crappy every few years (see OSU a few years ago and OU this year)... Tech got significantly better this year and they couldnt recruit the kind of high school kid to make a change that quickly.

Tech is doing a good job of getting high school talent... and Tech is actually going to have a better team next year than they do this year, and they are going to be pretty salty this season.

PG: John Roberson (Senior)
SG: David Tairu (Senior)
SF: Brad Reese (Senior)
PF: Mike Singletary (Senior)
C: Robert Lewandowski (Junior)

They will probably load up on some more juco's in next years class to play with their young high school group of Lewandowski, Outler, Willis, and Crockett. That is how they will stay good....

Case and point, Tech is 8-0 with a win over a top 10 team with several juco guys mixed with high-level high school players. That is exactly how OU used to recruit. Tech gets 40 points a game from juco role players who play off Roberson and Singletary.

They are the oldest team in the Big 12, and that is because he brings in a lot of older players to go along with the stars. You can't tell me that does not contribute to them being 8-0 and getting into the top 25 (when the new rankings come out)....

Maybe they don't develop into a great team, but they have talent and they have the pieces and experience to be good. We will see if Pat Knight can get them there but they should not be a bad team.

It does not make sense at all schools.

Pat Knight has said Tech will be 50/50 with juco and freshman... He is going to recruit the best high school players (Roberson, Crockett, Singletary, Outler, etc) and mix them with the best junior college players he can get (Reese, Darko, Tairu, Okorie, etc)...

Sometimes getting the best freshman players available means you will be young and crappy every few years (see OSU a few years ago and OU this year)... Tech got significantly better this year and they couldnt recruit the kind of high school kid to make a change that quickly.

Tech is doing a good job of getting high school talent... and Tech is actually going to have a better team next year than they do this year, and they are going to be pretty salty this season.

PG: John Roberson (Senior)
SG: David Tairu (Senior)
SF: Brad Reese (Senior)
PF: Mike Singletary (Senior)
C: Robert Lewandowski (Junior)

They will probably load up on some more juco's in next years class to play with their young high school group of Lewandowski, Outler, Willis, and Crockett. That is how they will stay good....

You get the best player available. If it's a juco player then get him. Problem is Juco players arent the best player available. I'd take a lineup of Gallon, Clark, Pledger, and TMG against Techs lineup for 10-11 any day. I don't think you realize how good are freshman will be by game 25-30. Would you trade Lewandowski for Gallon? No. Would you trade Reese for Clark? Hell no. Would you trade Tairu for Pledger? absolutely no. Singletary and Roberson I wish would have been Sooners because they are doing what you expect players to do once they are in their third year of the system. See Cade Davis and Tony crocker vs. Syracuse/OSU.

Tech looked like a top six Big 12 team to me. Really wish we had Singletary.

Tech looked like a top six Big 12 team to me. Really wish we had Singletary.

He was in that class with Blake. I'm sure OU offered, but it was late. That was in the heat of the Jai Lucas battle and Lucas and Singletary were very good friends.

You get the best player available. If it's a juco player then get him. Problem is Juco players arent the best player available. I'd take a lineup of Gallon, Clark, Pledger, and TMG against Techs lineup for 10-11 any day. I don't think you realize how good are freshman will be by game 25-30. Would you trade Lewandowski for Gallon? No. Would you trade Reese for Clark? Hell no. Would you trade Tairu for Pledger? absolutely no. Singletary and Roberson I wish would have been Sooners because they are doing what you expect players to do once they are in their third year of the system. See Cade Davis and Tony crocker vs. Syracuse/OSU.

You are always thinking down the road... You are assuming every freshman OU signs will be everything you hoped he would be, and that is not always the case. TMG, Pledger, and Gallon are VERY talented players, I dont argue that. I think they are going to be terrific players. I think they are already terrific players.

I think that for some teams (OU included) recruiting older players keeps you away from down years. OU is going to have a down this year despite talented players, because in college basketball age and maturity matter.

Next year OU is going to be very young again because Willie (NBA would be junior), Crocker (4 year starter that will be a huge loss), Wright (eh), and possibly Tiny (NBA) are leaving. I don't think Tiny will leave but he might.

I don't think OU needs to be 50/50 like Tech (it makes sense for them), but for years like this year and next year it could do OU well to bring in 2-3 older guys unless they are going to get a blockbuster like Terrence Jones.

I would be thrilled if OU brought in Ricardo Ratliffe (top juco power forward), Khalil Mcdonald (juco shooting guard), and another juco post player to go with TJ Taylor and Cameron Clark. OU would be bringing in two or three juniors who can play right away to mix with a bunch of freshman and sophomores. Again, if you can land the blockbuster do it.

JUCOs anymore are about 50/50 if they really work out. Look at the ones we've gotten under Capel.

You are always thinking down the road... You are assuming every freshman OU signs will be everything you hoped he would be, and that is not always the case. TMG, Pledger, and Gallon are VERY talented players, I dont argue that. I think they are going to be terrific players. I think they are already terrific players.

I think that for some teams (OU included) recruiting older players keeps you away from down years. OU is going to have a down this year despite talented players, because in college basketball age and maturity matter.

Next year OU is going to be very young again because Willie (NBA would be junior), Crocker (4 year starter that will be a huge loss), Wright (eh), and possibly Tiny (NBA) are leaving. I don't think Tiny will leave but he might.

I don't think OU needs to be 50/50 like Tech (it makes sense for them), but for years like this year and next year it could do OU well to bring in 2-3 older guys unless they are going to get a blockbuster like Terrence Jones.

I would be thrilled if OU brought in Ricardo Ratliffe (top juco power forward), Khalil Mcdonald (juco shooting guard), and another juco post player to go with TJ Taylor and Cameron Clark. OU would be bringing in two or three juniors who can play right away to mix with a bunch of freshman and sophomores. Again, if you can land the blockbuster do it.

On the first bolded statement, If OU keeps recruiting like they did last year, that is the expectation. I expect Cameron Clark to come in and be a impact player off the bat like Warren, Griffin, and Gallon have been the last three years. I expect Taylor to develop along the lines of Cade Davis and Tony Crocker. Is that unrealistic?

On the second Bolded statement, Next year OU will be experienced. They will have 4 freshman who have had one season of high level big12 basketball under their belt. Especially with the level of competition in the big12 this year, those guys will be really good next year. I don't think you understand that a College sophomore like Pledger, Fitz, Gallon, and TMG will be way ahead of a juco player that plays against a level of competition below the talent level in NAIA. As a matter of fact, alot of Juco guys aren't even getting NAIA offers. They're playing 2 years and are done. So you're right, maturity plays a huge level, and Gallon, Pledger, TMG, and Fitz will have more of it than any Juco that has to transition.

On the third Bolded statement, it doesn't make sense for OU to go 50/50 because the recruit on a higher level than Tech. Tech is and will always be unattractive to high level recruits. Their highest profile recruit, Roberson, is only their because OU screwed him over.

On the fourth bolded statement, OU is not looking at names, their looking at roles. One of the players you listed makes no sense. OU doesn't need to bring in a Juco scoring guard. They have Clark, Pledger and will probably get another prep guard. Why bring in that kid. OU needs to fill roles. They need a weakside shot blocker and a perimeter on the ball lockdown defender. They could use a backup game manager for when TMG is on the bench and maybe a dribble drive guy since Willie is probably gone. OU will be left with TMG as the dribble drive guy. Quite frankly, they won't get all these roles filled. If they get two of them, it's good. A Robert Goff isnt going to fill these rolls. That was painfully obvious when I saw him play. I think Capel is through with projects. I'd love to have Marvell Waite, a guy committed to arkansas that can fill one of these rolls.

Back