Small fire in OU's team hotel last night

Sooner23

Reaction score
No worries though. Szendrei saved the bag with the players' cell phones.

http://www.kansan.com/news/2010/feb/22/emergency-crews-respond-fire-alarm-oread-hotel/?news

Emergency vehicles responded to several fire alarms at the Oread Hotel, 1200 Oread Ave., around midnight Monday morning.

Hotel guests were briefly evacuated from the building before they were allowed back into the hotel lobby where they waited for the smoke to clear and the fire alarms to stop sounding. Among those evacuated were players and staff for the Oklahoma men’s basketball team, which is in town for a game against Kansas tonight at 8 p.m. in Allen Fieldhouse.

Jozsef Szendrei, Oklahoma's strength and conditioning coach, waited in the hotel lobby and watched over a canvas bag full of players' cell phones that had been turned in to him earlier in the night. Oklahoma players waited in the Bird Dog Bar on the main floor.

While they waited, firefighters entered the building to investigate a possible fire that one employee said began in the laundry room. Emergency personnel speculated the fire was caused by the exhaust or ventilation system, but were unable to confirm the cause at the time.

Jimmy John's workers, who occupy the same building as the Oread Hotel, were also told to leave their shop briefly as emergency personnel investigated the situation.

Chase Dahnke, a Jimmy John's worker, said the store was only out of commission for about five minutes before they were able to go back to making sandwiches. The store's delivery service was halted for the evening because their drivers could not get around the surrounding fire trucks.

Preliminary damages resulting from the fire are estimated at $5,000, according to a report released Monday by the Lawrence Douglas County Fire and Medical.

According to the report, the fire was caused by a "spontaneous combustion from linens that had absorbed cooking oil and were placed in a confined laundry basket."

Last edited:
I was afraid this might have stemmed from some "extra-curricular" activites by our team!

Definitely the culprit is someone involved with the KU program... Seems like they're trying to gain an edge tonight. :)

Jozsef Szendrei, Oklahoma's strength and conditioning coach, waited in the hotel lobby and watched over a canvas bag full of players' cell phones that had been turned in to him earlier in the night.

Interesting.

Capel comments on the fire...........

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=2481&t=5644447

The Oklahoma basketball team evacuated its hotel rooms in Sunday night, something Sooners coach Jeff Capel initially thought was a prank.

"Initially I thought maybe it was a KU fan or something like that," Capel said. "When I played in the ACC and you went on the road, you were never surprised if something like that happened. But I don't know if we're good enough to where they'd do that to us."

Oklahoma (13-13, 4-8 Big 12) was staying at the Oread Hotel on KU's campus in Lawrence. The Lawrence Journal-World reported oily kitchen rags began producing smoke in the hotel's laundry room, although without flame. Capel said his team evacuated its rooms about midnight and didn't return for more than an hour.

"It was pretty adventurous," Capel said.

But the midnight wakeup call isn't' the Sooners' biggest problem. Star guard Willie Warren will miss tonight's 8 p.m. Big Monday game at KU because of an ankle injury that, combined with mononucleosis, has kept him out of four of the past eight games. Warren is averaging 16.2 points per game.

Oklahoma has had a rotten spell of luck coming to Kansas recently. When the Sooners visited Lawrence two years ago, star Blake Griffin injured his knee early in the first half and missed most of what turned out to be a blowout KU win.

It had to be Tyrel "Cletus" Reed.

83954074.jpg

cletus-simpsons.jpg

Next thing you know the LNC will flood vs baylor or A&M.

My first though too.

The "cell phones in a bag" portion is interesting.

When the baseball team travels they have pouches they have to turn in every night with their cell phones in them. Not too much of a rarity these days.

Sure, if you can't trust your kids.

Come on, that is not fair. You can't complain about discipline and then complain when the coaches do something to install some discipline. In my opinion this is exactly the type of thing the coaches should be doing.

On road games they make the players turn in their cell phones for the night. They get them back the next day. That's a rule for all the teams that I know of.

Back