Some interesting TMG notes following tonight's performance

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From SoonerSports.com:

• Mason-Griffin’s point total was the fifth highest by a freshman in Big 12 history (tied with Baylor’s LaceDarius Dunn in 2007-08), surpassed only by Kansas State’s Michael Beasley (four times in 2007-08).

• Mason-Griffin’s 38 points were the most by a Big 12 player this season, eclipsing the 33-point efforts of teammate Tony Crocker and Kansas’ Sherron Collins. Mason-Griffin is averaging 28.3 points over the last three games.

• Mason-Griffin was 13-of-21 from the field (7-of-7 from the free-throw line) and added six assists and two steals in 40 minutes. He has played 202 out of a possible 205 minutes over the last five games.

• Mason-Griffin’s 38 points tied as the most by an OU point guard. Mookie Blaylock also scored 38 against Iowa State during the 1988-89 season. A Sooner has scored more points just 22 times in the 103 years of the program.

• Mason-Griffin’s 38 points were the second most by a Sooner since the 1993-94 season when Jeff Webster scored 41 against Colorado. Blake Griffin scored 40 points against Texas Tech last season.

• In Oklahoma’s six conference games, Mason-Griffin is shooting .500 (20-for-40) from 3-point range.

Some pretty telling stats in there. However, one thing to add on is...the minutes.

He has been and will continue to log pretty much every minute of Sooner basketball this season. He started to gas tonight, but we will be in for a lot of great performances if that is TMG when tired. His stamina is big time.

Outstanding! The scary part is that he still has a ceiling for improvement. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

I hope it doesn't make his shot selection bad. The one thing about today is the shots that he made were good looks. Guys going under screens, pullups, and baseline js. When he missed those 4 in a row, they were just quick shots. I hope he takes the major stretch when he balanced looking for his offense with setting up the defense as the way he should play.

Right now Tommy is one of the best point guard in OU history since Mookie Blayblock. Mookie got the nod because of his defense and quick hands. Mookie can steal the balls like crazy. Mookie was the engine that drove that 1988 team to the championship game. Now we only need a Stacey King and Harvey Grant as the missing pieces to get there. We don't have an athletic 6'11 guy nor a reliable 6'8 scoring post. Is Capel too guard oriented?

Right now Tommy is one of the best point guard in OU history since Mookie Blayblock. Mookie got the nod because of his defense and quick hands. Mookie can steal the balls like crazy. Mookie was the engine that drove that 1988 team to the championship game. Now we only need a Stacey King and Harvey Grant as the missing pieces to get there. We don't have an athletic 6'11 guy nor a reliable 6'8 scoring post. Is Capel too guard oriented?

idk, but he gives the green light to too many players.

I'm a fan of the green light because I believe it almost forces your team to be confident offensively, but limitations are nice...

For example, if 5 other guys on your team are better at taking the shot you are about to take, then maybe PASS.

I'm a fan of the green light because I believe it almost forces your team to be confident offensively, but limitations are nice...

For example, if 5 other guys on your team are better at taking the shot you are about to take, then maybe PASS.

I'm a fan of certain players getting the green light. I think WW should get the red light on 40ft jumpers, Gallon should get the yellow light on 18ft js and Pledger and Willis shouldn't shoot on the first possesion their in the game. We shoot too many threes for a team that has a big guy that can take his man one on one at any time on most days.

Hopefully TMG won't pass out Saturday from exhaustion. The minutes that he has logged has been iron man like.

I'm a fan of certain players getting the green light. I think WW should get the red light on 40ft jumpers, Gallon should get the yellow light on 18ft js and Pledger and Willis shouldn't shoot on the first possesion their in the game. We shoot too many threes for a team that has a big guy that can take his man one on one at any time on most days.

Agree on the first part. I used to think we shot too many 3's, but I'm not sure anymore. I mean, save Kansas, there's probably not another team in the league that has a deeper collection of solid 3pt shooters.

Our big has the ability to do that, but not the experience or desire to do it every time. Right now, he is more interested in being one of the craftier bigs in America than going strong. Time will tell if that changes.

Hopefully TMG won't pass out Saturday from exhaustion. The minutes that he has logged has been iron man like.

He got pumped full of fluids after the game, he was suffering some major cramps in his legs those last few minutes and refused to let it bother him!

He got pumped full of fluids after the game, he was suffering some major cramps in his legs those last few minutes and refused to let it bother him!

Wow. he sure drilled his freethrows down the stretch while exhausted.

God I love this guy.

Back