Some positives and negatives from tonight

Sam

Reaction score
Just some things I noticed tonight.

Just thought I would throw out my positives and negatives.

The Positives
Cade Davis
This game sums up Cade Davis quite well and might become known as the “ideal Cade Davis game” this year. Here is a guy who bleeds, sweats and cries Sooner hoops and has been built up as the face of the program this off season. The Golden Boy, the leader, etc and it showed why tonight. His shot from deep wasn't falling but that didn't affect his game. He showed the maturity to know it wasn't his night and chose passing or attacking the hoop. Mr. Davis will have his nights that he lights the LNC on fire with his rainbow threes but nights like this are a key to this season. Having a “star/leader” like Cade know and accept his role is huge for this young team's development.

Cameron Clark
He will have freshman road bumps this year but he showed tonight he has the athleticism of a high level division one athlete. Clark has the opportunity to be Juan Pattilo like in weak side shot blocking. Another great sign is the fact that despite his slight frame he is willing to battle inside for rebounds. It will be very interesting to chart his low post impact as the year progresses along with the talent level of teams they play.

Another note, Cameron's sweet midrange game is a lost art. He also appears to be a master of that lost art along with an improving stroke from behind the arc. Cam might end up becoming the best player on this team sooner rather than later which is a big responsibility for a freshman. I just hope he is up to the challenge.

Nick Thompson's passing
One of the big reason's Capel was in love with the potential of Terrance Jones was his passing ability for a man of his size. Instead of the blue chip Jones, the Sooners appeared to have gotten the perfect blue collar passing four to be a point forward in Thompson. A high level passing big man at the 4 can open up so much on offense and it showed tonight. Thompson by far has the most impressive vision of any player on the team and he easily could have multiple double digit assist games this year.

Calvin Newell's demeanor and energy
Lloyd Noble Center crowd meet Calvin, Calvin meet the Lloyd Noble Center crowd. Newell is n the fact track to becoming a crowd favorite. Not only is his style of play exciting but the reactions and passion he shows is the stuff crowds eats up. As the 6'0 guard play progresses and the crowds grow inside the LNC a beautiful relationship should prosper.

The Win
Before today February 6th 2010 was the last time the Oklahoma Sooners won a game that counted. The Oklahoma fan base has had a rough ride since then and this was a great way to start the healing process. No mater the competition a 20 point win is a 20 win and is great for this young team's confidence.

Andrew Fitzgerald
22 points while battling hard in the low post and converting 6-8 free throws is a great sign for a team desperate for a low post presence. Fitz showed that the weight he loss has increased his mobility and stamina and games like this where he eats up minutes (33 tonight) while producing points will be huge as the season goes on.

The Negatives
Rebounding
It is showing signs of improvement and it isn't from a lack of desire but it could still use some fine tuning. At times the Sooners were guilty of ball watching and not boxing out. Given the size of this team that is something they can ill afford to do when the competition level jumps up over the year. Coppin St finished with 11 boards on the offensive end that they converted into 13 points. This team cannot become complacent on the defensive glass this season.

As impressive as Fitz's 22 points and Thompson's 7 assists, their work on the defensive glass will need to improve as I am not sure if Clark should be relied upon to pull down 11 rebounds a game given his youth.

Carl Blair
I'm not sure if it is an injury or due to poor play but either way his DNP in the box column is an alarming sign. If Blair is still suffering the ill affects of his stress fracture from earlier this year that is a horrible sign for this team's guards. With combo guard T.J. Taylor already redshirting the back court is thin and will need all the ballhandlers. If it was Blair's performance on the court that was the cause for his DNP then it could be even worse. Perhaps it was just Capel's way of sending a message but the scary thing could be that Blair needs a lot of improvement to become a consistent performer and that worries me.

Romero Osby
Watching this guy in street clothes is sad, guy is a beast and I can't wait till watch him next year.

The Crowd
4,594 was the number listed in the box score, not sure if it was that big or not. Either way this needs to improve, I know a lot of this is due to the blacklash of last season but this is a new season with new players. These players deserve support as they're all proud to be here and guys like Thompson and Newell are a blast to watch on the court with the way they play and carry themselves.

Ending thought
This is one of the few teams the Sooners will have a significant talent advantage over on their schedule. Add in the fact that like Oklahoma they're heavy on new guys this win was a no brainier. Still with this young team any win is great and a 20 point win is amazing after sluggish play vs Northern State. The team will need to build on this and bring it every night. Especially with a trip to Maui soon to happen along with a savvy Texas Southern Squad next Thursday.

Its hard to not be optimistic after a game like this but I wonder how much of my euphoria for this team is due to getting rid of the bad taste of the final 9 games of last year or actually loving what I saw. I think it is somewhere in between as I saw some rough edges ofn this team but for now I'm just going to enjoy the 20 point win.

The Crowd
4,594 was the number listed in the box score, not sure if it was that big or not. Either way this needs to improve, I know a lot of this is due to the blacklash of last season but this is a new season with new players. These players deserve support as they're all proud to be here and guys like Thompson and Newell are a blast to watch on the court with the way they play and carry themselves.

This will be a problem especially with the Thunder coming off last years success, and playing a big game at home like tonight. I agree the effort and heart is already different with this team.

The Crowd

This will be a problem especially with the Thunder coming off last years success, and playing a big game at home like tonight. I agree the effort and heart is already different with this team.

I personally don't understand why anyone would ever choose an NBA game over a college game, ew. :facepalm

as far as I am concerned you MUST consider lack of turnovers as a +. I know CSU didn't pressure much, but OU was so much smarter with the ball than they have been as of late.

The passing and patience as well. The number of really quick shot without several guys touching the ball was low I thought. Pledger did a good job except of that possession at about two minutes left in the game when he put one up really quick. Good unselfish play from everyone for most of the game I thought.

Romero Osby
Watching this guy in street clothes is sad, guy is a beast and I can't wait till watch him next year.

Personally I do not think it is such a bad thing, he would help immediately, but in terms of building for the future I like the ideas of Osby, Goff, Fitz and Pledge all being "together" for two full years and having Cam, Calvin, TJ and Neal right behind them. That is an eight man rotation that compete in the B12 IMHO starting next season and can carry us for at least three years.

Personally, just from watching the highlights it looks like this team is going to be a lot easier to watch and root for than last year.

I can handle losing if they're giving 100% on offense and defense while playing team ball passing the rock around rather than everyone looking to pad their own stats.

Bring in another strong class next season and by 2012 this will be a top 5 Big XII team.

Really refreshing...

The bench is going to need to do more as we go against stiffer competition where the starters will need to rest up and or are in foul trouble.

Back