The annual "Big Monday" time frame rant (long Big East games)

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
I keep wishing the Big 12 would try to get the ESPN folks to schedule the preceding Big East games to start 30 minutes earlier.

I can barely remember a time when the Big 12 game, which start at 7 p.m. where I live, was shown in its entireity. And, it always seems like our games are preceded by Syracuse-Georgetown (or any combination of those teams plus another foul-happy Big East team). Didn't one of our games on Big Monday get "joined in progress" halfway through the first half?

Dumb move by the Big 12, if the powers-that-be couldn't at least try to get the Big East games started earlier....

I keep wishing the Big 12 would try to get the ESPN folks to schedule the preceding Big East games to start 30 minutes earlier.

I can barely remember a time when the Big 12 game, which start at 7 p.m. where I live, was shown in its entireity. And, it always seems like our games are preceded by Syracuse-Georgetown (or any combination of those teams plus another foul-happy Big East team). Didn't one of our games on Big Monday get "joined in progress" halfway through the first half?

Dumb move by the Big 12, if the powers-that-be couldn't at least try to get the Big East games started earlier....

I recall when my wife was at the hospital having our second child waiting through the entire first half of the Cowboy/Longhorn tilt before seeing any game action...Completely blows...On the the bright side, my beautiful brides fury sent her into labor.

I agree completely. Most of the time in the Oklahoma viewing area they switch to the game unless the BE game is close. Of course that doesn't help those out of staters.

big monday is the best thing about our tv contract .....

the best timeslot on the bigger night of week day sports in america ...

big monday is the best thing about our tv contract .....

the best timeslot on the bigger night of week day sports in america ...

Nothing wrong with the time slot, just make those Big East foul-fests start 30 minutes earlier.

I know I'm exaggerating, but to make a point - but it always seems like OU's Big Monday games are preceded by a Syracuse-Georgetown game that lasts forever, and includes the losing team fouling and calling time-outs while down 20 with 10 seconds to play.

Never Give Up!!!!!

That's not a bad attitude at all, but it still irked me when I saw it happen in a game that was still on TV and being dragged out, while OU's game was relegated to ticker updates until the first or second media timeout.

That's also not nearly as bad as something that about sent me into orbit 21 years ago. That amazing OU-Mizzou game was winding down in Norman on ESPN when the Tigers scored with one second left to make it 112-105 (OU's favor). MU's Bradd Sutton called a timeout, and he got the booing of his life ( :woot ). I don't think even his own team was too thrilled about that.

Yeah... I just hate tuning into ESPN at about 7:50 and seeing something like this:

2nd Half 1:54
Syracuse 55
UConn 54

You just KNOW there's going to be approxmiately 254 free-throw attempts before the final buzzer.

I remember one time several years ago when the stupid Big East game went like 3 OTs, and the OSU game that was coming on (can't remember who we were playing) wasn't shown until there was something like 45 seconds left in the first half.

Lets compromise. Big East games start 15 minutes earlier and Big 12 games start 15 minutes later.

Yeah... I just hate tuning into ESPN at about 7:50 and seeing something like this:

2nd Half 1:54
Syracuse 55
UConn 54

You just KNOW there's going to be approxmiately 254 free-throw attempts before the final buzzer.

I remember one time several years ago when the stupid Big East game went like 3 OTs, and the OSU game that was coming on (can't remember who we were playing) wasn't shown until there was something like 45 seconds left in the first half.

I know exactly what you mean...

ESPN gets to our game 40 minutes (on the clock, not in "game time") late.

The prosecution rests! :mad:

Have Tiny pull down the backboard during pre-game warm-ups.

Hard to start the games much earlier or later. They give a 2 hour and 10 minute window, which should be pretty close to large enough. Just seems like the Big East is so competitive, that the games are always close, and slow. I'd just like to see ESPN have another station they could put the Big 12 game on if the preceding game is running late.

Maybe instead of tipping at 8:10, tip at 8:15 or 8:20. I don't know. Can't start games too late during the week.

I watched the game on ESPN360 while I was watching the conclusion of the Villanova vs. Louisville game.

It's funny we were talking about this yesterday.

That was certainly the worst I've ever seen, in terms of a non-OT Big East game intruding on the Big 12 start.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I tuned in a few minutes before 8 p.m. to see that there was something like 7:30 left in that game... amazing.

I thought for sure that they must have had a power outage or some other stoppage of play to make that game last so long... little did I know that it was just a typical Big East wrestling match where a basketball game broke out.

I think the officiating crew of the Louisville/nova game should be suspended.

First, they called way, and I mean way, to many fouls. I think once they got started they decided to make it fair they had to call everything both ways.

Second, I would have called at least 10-12 flagrant fouls in that game. You can't just grab a dude when he starts to drive or tackle them because they are going to get a layup. If they had called some intentional fouls and thrown a couple guys out, the teams would have been reduced to actually playing something called basketball. This was something more akin to a saturday afternoon tackle football game at the park.

Pretty close to an NCAA record number of free throws shot in the game I think they said on TV. I can believe it.

I say let it be the bloodbath they want, or rein the damn thing in and make them play basketball. I say don't, under any circumstances, allow for a 2 hour and 40 minute, free throw contest. Other than Reynolds, the game was a joke.

It's funny we were talking about this yesterday.

That was certainly the worst I've ever seen, in terms of a non-OT Big East game intruding on the Big 12 start.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I tuned in a few minutes before 8 p.m. to see that there was something like 7:30 left in that game... amazing.

I thought for sure that they must have had a power outage or some other stoppage of play to make that game last so long... little did I know that it was just a typical Big East wrestling match where a basketball game broke out.

I was expecting that Big East game to cut into Bedlam, but not 40 minutes' worth.

Seen it too many times to expect otherwise.

Heck, I think I remember one Big East game, with an OU game to follow, that was at the 10-minute mark 30 minutes before the OU game was going to start. And of course, they didn't finish that one on time, either.

Back