Thoughts on OU basketball and the OKC media (the 80's)

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
I lived out of state in the early Billy Tubbs days, other than when he got the job in the spring of 1980. So I wasn't exposed to a lot of daily coverage. In those days, there was no internet, but there was a Big 8 sports magazine that also started covering basketball around 1983. That exposed the reader to media around the region, and the two biggest bunches of "homers" were the ones who covered Nebraska football and Kansas basketball.

That said, the odd relationship between OU men's basketball and the Oklahoma media seemed to really take off in early 1984. And it wasn't so much "what was said" back then, but more of what wasn't said.

You would have thought the team, led by sophomore Wayman Tisdale, got all kinds of positive press. After all, they put on a great show early in the season by winning at Syracuse on national TV (CBS). But, it didn't seem to go that way.

I was finally able back then to get the Sunday Oklahoman at newsstands out west. It was odd to read a lot of negativity, mostly from non-OU fans, when the DOK really emphasized receiving and printing letters to the editor. It got weird when OSU fans started going off on Tubbs about "running up the score" after an early 1984 Bedlam game in Norman. The fact was that the Sooners won by only 13 after leading by 26 with about three minutes to play. I guess the only Aggy-pleasing thing Tubbs could have done was to clear the bench sooner and blow the game (ugh). But, he didn't, and being Aggies they had to vent about it.

But it really started getting weird after two "controversial" road wins. The first was in Boulder in January of that year. OU struggled but won in triple-OT. I knew, from hearing a Colorado AM station rant about it, that the atmosphere was pretty hostile.

I didn't find out until a few days later that the CU fans threw stuff on the court, and that Tubbs was accused of flipping off the crowd. The DOK didn't staff the game, and from what I was told a few months later (when I moved back to the state) that they took the word of a virulent anti-Tubbs guy in the Denver media. So "what wasn't said" led to the myth of the "finger" (for the first time).

The second "controversy" came in Lawrence, of course. OU got blamed for a hostile crowd, and was also accused of another "finger" (this time by Darryl "Choo" Kennedy). I saw film on it when I arrived in Oklahoma later in the year. It was NOT "the bird." And somehow the story morphed into how "Tubbs did it." Of course, the pro-Beaker homers hammered on it for years, even when Wayman Tisdale passed in 2009. A "retired" local writer from Kansas took that occasion to rip Wayman and OU all over again.

Once again, the DOK could have investigated it to see who was telling the truth back in '84. It didn't happen then, either. I guess they were happy with the Kansas/KC media branding OU as an outlaw program for the next several years (the '85 season preview for the league, in the KC Star, said people would have to lock their doors and hide their kids when OU came to town - I saw that clipping personally).

OU won the league that year, too, fairly comfortably, and also won the league tournament by beating Iowa State in the finals. My brother went to the 1985 Big 8 tournament while in med school at OU, and he came back shaking his head over how hateful the place was when OU was playing. As we all know, it got even worse by 1988 and beyond.

During the '85 season, the unchallenged DOK "letter writers" hammered away at Tubbs and his team. Amazingly, they got a great rebuttal that I'll never forget. It came from Mike Dillingham, an OU basketball walk-on and younger brother of an OU football player. He told the true stories of his interactions with the entire Tubbs family and how ridiculous some of the anti-Tubbs critics had become. Dillingham also incorrectly predicted that the DOK wouldn't print his letter. I think a lot of people were glad he did.

If it ever seemed odd that the "letter writers" were so one-sided - and they also loved to go off on OU football (like after the '84 OU-Texas "tie"), it could be explained by something I was told by a guy who was a veteran of small-town Oklahoma sports writing. He said the guy who did the hiring at the DOK back then, really didn't want to hire OU grads. He openly preferred either small-college grads or out-of-staters.

They did have a couple of old pros at the DOK who weren't anti-OU, and in fact one of them wrote a column in '86 that ripped a "national guy" who called him to get the "angle" that Switzer's football team would be the "black hats" to the wonderful "white hats" of Terry Donahue and UCLA. I think that local guy was probably enjoying it that Barry's bunch pounded the saintly Bruins, 38-3. But, once those guys started leaving the market, it became rare that OU caught a break like that from one of its own local guys.

In fact, one of the "new blood" guys arrived in early 1987 and promptly ripped the '87 Sooners for being "too cocky" in a road win at NC State. That was a head-scratcher. But it was more the norm back then for them to let other media hammer on OU without any sort of challenge from the OKC area.

Like I said, it's often what "isn't said" in the media that can have an effect. And it sure did on OU's image, and often negatively.

And though it was rarely a "Bedlam thing" in the media where basketball was concerned - other than those times when OSU played its one good game of the season, against OU in Stillwater, some things were happening behind the scenes in those pre-internet days. This probably set the stage for what we've become used to seeing from the OKC media, although it involved OU football coverage.

That bit of news came from another guy I knew in the market, who left OKC around 1987 and has since passed away. He told me once that their Sundays in the newsroom often got rather interesting during football season. They had OSU fans actually measuring game stories of both OU and OSU back then, and if OU got one more column-inch of coverage, they started calling the DOK to complain. To me, things like that definitely could get a staff rather gun-shy about "fairness."

I have no doubt that led to outright bias that started showing up around 1988.

Thank you for a long and interesting read. It brought back many memories.

When have the newspapers or media ever been fair, accurate or objective? Never. (It is interesting to read opposing newspaper accounts on any topic from the era of the American revolution. Nothing has changed.)

I figured out a long time ago that there is no such thing as accuracy or objectivity in media. I am not sure that it is even possible given that human beings are biased. All of us. The producers of “news” are biased. The consumers of “news” are biased.

A “negative slant” directed at OU tends to displease a Sooner fan, while it may please a Cowboy and Longhorn fan at the same time. We can complain endlessly and relentlessly, but those complaints have no impact whatsoever. Never have. Never will.

Like I said, it's often what "isn't said" in the media that can have an effect. And it sure did on OU's image, and often negatively.

I agree 100%. I remember checking into the hotel in Albany for the 2003 Sweet-16 game against Butler and the Elite-8 game against Syracuse. When I checked in to the hotel, I got drawn into a conversation with some locals who wanted to talk about the graduation rates at OU. Apparently, this topic was in the New York papers leading up to the NCAA games, and the locals were convinced that no athlete playing any sport at The University of Oklahoma could read, much less graduate with any degree. It was a waste of time trying to convince them otherwise. After all, it was in the newspapers, and they seemed to relish the opportunity to rub it in my face. Being human I was affected by the experience, and I have been a fan of any team playing against Syracuse ever since. But in reality, Syracuse fans are not really any different than our own fan base. Are they?

In recent years, when OU student-athletes set new records for graduation rates and GPA averages, you would never know about it unless you saw the OU press release. Its just not news. Like you said, its often what isn’t said.

After the team got accused of flipping people off at CU some of them started wearing mittens on the bench. Tubbs was so funny.

A lot of media people and hate fans from other teams thought he had changed after he was hit by the car while jogging. Tubbs never changed though. What they really didn’t like was that he was winning and did not apologize for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being at the top in hoops and football simulraneously will do a number to the haters. They hate us cuz they ain’t us!

I went off pretty good in this commentary on the newspaper. But they're by far not the only ones in the Oklahoma media who have religiously tried not to defend OU from an often-undeserved bad national image in basketball. Two things that kind of neglect have produced are (1) the notion among non-serious OU-football fan types that OU basketball really isn't that good traditionally, and (2) the awful notion among in-state recruits that we aren't traditionally good in basketball. I'll cover more of what's happened since the '88 season with many in the media (nationally and in-state) in a few days.

One almost pathetic footnote to '88, at least where I was living that fall, was that the Albuquerque media, including both newspapers (when there were two) loved painting OU as the "outlaw program" when OU played out there in December of '88. What makes that pathetic is that they loved one of the biggest outlaw programs of its time - the late 1970's Lobos and covered for their shyster coach whenever possible. Tubbs got mad at some of their crap, in the postgame that night at the Pit, and that pretty much ended any chance of the serious being continued past that two-year run.

Back