Thoughts on tonights game....

thebigabd

Reaction score
Well, it wasnt good, but at least they avoided disaster and pulled away at the end to beat Northern State... It doesnt count either way, but you dont want to lose a team that literally has no athletes from South Dakota.

Pledger was good, 20-something points, and looks good on the jumpers...

Newell is athletic, very quick, should be a really good defender. He will probably take over the point guard spot. He is out of control but its game #1.

Fitz was good, although I worry that he is really small to be a regular guy in the post.. He looks about 6'5'' or 6'6'', which probably explains why he has to shoot so many jumpers.

PA guy is just awful.

Thompson is gonna be really weak inside... He doesnt look 220, had 3 or 4 rebounds I think. I dont know how many points he had, not many. He looked like a 4 and 3 type of guy so far.

Cameron Clark, I believe, had 3 points. He didnt try to do anything and when he caught the ball on the wing just stood there and passed it. Pretty disappointing debut for him so far. Hopefully he comes out and tries to do something at the first real game.

Blair looked good passing and handling the ball, but they had to take him out of the game because #4 got into the lane every possession and they were winning and in control when Blair was in the game. Things got better when Newell took over.

Cade Davis looked like Cade Davis... he isnt going to average 15 ppg. He looked like the exact same guy tonight.

Overall... this team has very little talent, or at least that is what it looks like after this game. I just don't know how they are going to compete in Maui and especially in the Big 12. Maybe they will look much better against Coppin State and get better.

Last edited:
i didn't get to see any of it but the 2nd half stats look a lot better. stopped shooting 3s and rebounded

I thought NSU played pretty good D. We CANNOT rebound. Where was Washington? Blair is a poor defender. Thompson needs to move without the ball much better, but the off-the-ball movement wasnt much to write home about. They got too many layups. Like teams we faced with Blake being forbidden to contest. Back to school on defense and rebounding both of which must get very much better.

This worries me but I generally agree with ABD on this. Our talent level looks to be the lowest since Billy's first team. However on the positive side at least we looked like we wanted to play with each other and there is the possibility of improving. Newell does have some talent and played well in the second half. I also liked the athletic potential of Ahmed Abdul...he may have some upside.

Pledger is OU's best player. Newell played well for only being true freshman.

i'm not too worried yet. I know it will be a long year, its expected. It may take awhile for the team to get going with 7 new pieces

I thought NSU played pretty good D. We CANNOT rebound. Where was Washington? Blair is a poor defender. Thompson needs to move without the ball much better, but the off-the-ball movement wasnt much to write home about. They got too many layups. Like teams we faced with Blake being forbidden to contest. Back to school on defense and rebounding both of which must get very much better.

We are two weeks into practice with 9 newcomers...struggling on defense and rebounding are frankly to be expected.

The lack of an inside presence is overwhelming. Rebounding will be a huge issue come Big 12 play.

Only saw late 2nd half, did Neal play?

Last edited:
Disappointing. I didn't see any shooting, and little rebounding. I was disappointed that Northern State played much better as a team than we did. Perhaps, it is our lack of experience. I hope so.

I thought Abdul played good tonight. I think if he plays like this consistently he might wind up starting.

P.S. Yes I know it is a preseason game, but he stayed in for most of the second half.

This team will have an upwards fight to get to 10 wins
Thompson should not be at OU, liked the new PG

If we can't win 10 games then Jeff Capel will not be back for another year.

Capel will have pulled off a coaching miracle if he can squeeze 10 wins out of this group.
I think you are overreacting to one game. And our schedule isn't that hard and the conference is not that difficult. I would say the same about last year in the Big 12, but last years team wasn't a team.

Did Barry Honore play? He has long arms and could be a good inside defender and boarder.

If OU has another bad season, why keep Capel around? OU can find the money to buy out his contract.

Did Barry Honore play? He has long arms and could be a good inside defender and boarder.

Big Puma played alot... in fact he and Abdul played the majority of the 2nd Half. 3 points and a few boards, if I remember correctly.

:bigbarry

Back