To Do List For Next Year

cowboysooner

Reaction score
First, it isn't possible to defend the 3, you can however effectively deny the 3. This must be the focus this off season.

Second, you must be able to shoot the 3. Manek and maybe CJ can, but we have got to find a way to shoot the ball with some consistency.

Third, with the ability to post a big under the net and body you when you attack the rim, we must practice taking the contact and attacking that player under the rim. The teams that don't, just end up like us missing a bunch of layups and dunks and instead of going to the free throw line just turn it over. Usually, a couple of your guys are on the floor under your basket so your opponent gets a transition basket. Watching the NCAA ournament teams in the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight, it seems to me the good teams just literally have their players try to kill the guy under the basket. Just attack the guy and run smack over them. Smart. The guy is in the circle and can't take a charge and this tactic forces so much contact the refs feel they have to call something.

And finally, quit worrying about just hitting 3s and dunks. People can defend that. Don't shoot 20 foot 2s, but the teams advancing in the tournament can and do have good mid range shooters. The problem with limiting yourself to 3s and dunks, you are screwed if the 3 isn't falling.

Lets see what the roster looks like and then discuss next year. But, I don't think Lon has forgotten how to coach and I think he will be reenergized and put a good team on the court next year.

Last edited:
Back